Possible shows themes/music now that electronics are legal

If Spirit can play a Kansas show, then I want some corps to use synths to play a Wolf Parade show. I'm not even joking.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom+Turangalîla-Symphonie = :tongue:

Ooof, I like unorthodox shows, but I think I've been outdone. That will never, ever happen but it's cool to dream.

Just because it was one of my favorite songs when I was a little kid, and all of the instruments are snyth (yep, everything), I'd like to see a Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam show. "Head to Toe" and "Lost in Emotion" and "Can You Feel the Beat" would have to be part of the rep of course:

Head to Toe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr7iKcilty0

Can You Feel the Beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5lQNrxg7c

Seriously...

Phantom+Turangalîla-Symphonie = :tongue:

THIS....except for Phantom.

Turangalila is a fantastic piece of music and I think could be a great DCI success, now that we have electronics. But, Phantom's musical product is increasingly "not-classical" in a similar way that recent Blue Devils shows are "not-jazz": The stylistic traits of the music are often lost in the larger, synthetic flow of the program. With Phantom, this has been harder to notice than with Blue Devils, because they have wisely stuck to music that lends itself to drum corps histrionics: Ginastera, Prokofiev's wilder stuff, Corigliano, all music that can be reduced to pounding open fifths, drones, and cluster chords and still sound fantastic. Tearing out the thick harmonies and watering-down the textures of Turangalila to only leave in the skeleton rhythms and loud aspects would really miss the whole point of using Messiaen's music in the first place.

I wish Star was around to tackle something this intricate and bizarre (They did Belshazzar's Feast after all!), but Crown's eclecticism and facility with technique seem like the best match to me. Your mileage may vary!

leave that to the high school bands...Im sure Hal Leonard has an arrangement

Northwind did this in 1991 - minus the electronics, of course.