Pioneer 2009

I saw Pioneer last night in Kenosha, WI. They performed in exhibition at a MACBDA band show (as did Revolution and Kilties). I got a chance to see Donny Allen warm up the brass line and I was impressed. Nice blend, and they can bring it when they want to. Then I got to watch their performance from the end zone (the Kilties performed following Pioneer and had a great view of the performance). It's a really well designed show that was performed at a higher level than early season Pioneer corps from the past few years. The crowd LOVED them! The announcer said that they have 1 trumpet and one baritone spot to fill. If I was about 35 years younger, I'd be seriously considering that trumpet spot! Great job Pioneer!!!! Good luck the rest of the season!!!!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, have always been impressed by Pioneer.

It's not that one corps is better than another. Score wise, financially, placement and talent, maybe. But for me personally, and I do mean personally, I just have an attachmenet to Pioneer.

I have met many people from the organization, from marchers to Murray and Roman.

For a corps that is considered "lower-tier" or whatever you want to call them, how can it be possible that they keep getting kids to come and audition? How can they still be alive financially as a corps. Especially, when we have seen so many come and go over the last decade?

I, for one, am amazed at the fiscal responsibility/accountability that Roman and the crew have chosen to take to make sure that they are able to field a corps season after season.

I do believe, that if Roman really wanted to, he could sink in all the money in the world and up the "talent" requirement and buy all the bells and whistles that he wanted to make Pioneer a finalist, like we have seen some corps do and then fade into existence.

I also do agree that it would be nice to have Pio do some different music, every once in a while. I'd be o.k. with it. I love the Irish, but I don't think if anyone would complain if they did some wacked out tribute to Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, the Cheiftans and Van Morrison (or insert whatever you would love to see Pioneeer do).

BUT, Roman has done a great job on acquiring quality staff - i.e. Murray, Donny and others, has made sure that the youth are always taken care of, are always fed (not just some old pb & j or whatever all the time) and is willing to bring kids in and (I know that some people might get upset at this) teach kids that want to learn and have a quality music education.

I know that there are other corps that do this also, but, this is what I, personally, have seen from the Pioneer organization.

When my kids are old enough and if they want to march Pioneer and I have the money, I will be proud to let my children be part of the Pioneer family, knowing that they will be taken care of throughout the season and camps.

I tip my hat (whatever style that is on Roman's head) to you Pioneer!

Better Everyday!

(These are just my opinions, if you could not tell. So, flame away!)

Edited by mvbailey12

My question is this: why is the musical focus on traditional Irish or Celtic music? There are plenty of great Irish-rock or movie tunes for Irish settings, you get the idea... it seems like it's not that Pioneer plays Irish music... it's that it HAS to be Irish music FROM Ireland...

My question is this: why is the musical focus on traditional Irish or Celtic music? There are plenty of great Irish-rock or movie tunes for Irish settings, you get the idea... it seems like it's not that Pioneer plays Irish music... it's that it HAS to be Irish music FROM Ireland...

Not entirely true. They did some British composers, Oliver and other stuff. Pioneer is a merger corps. The Mercury Thunderbolts and St. Patrick Imperials merged to become Pioneer (after being called 'The Thing' for one year). Pioneer was long known as the Great Entertainer playing jazzy style music. In the 1990's they returned to the Irish roots of the St. Pat's Imperials. So there is a strong corps tradition. For many alumni and current marchers taking away the Irish would be like taking the 'Fleur-de-Lis' from Madison, the classics out of Phantom or the Jazz out of Blue Devils. Yet, nobody complains about those. Why? Because they bring a World Class show every year. I guess that is the difference. Not that I agree that Pioneer could not try something new. I myself have always suggested The Cranberries, U2 or the Simple Minds. So yes, there could be some more variation....I agree. But as long as kids join Pioneer, and the organization sticks to their values of education and a quality experience......I don't really see an issue.

I was a Pioneer member, am a proud alumnus and will support the corps just for their values alone. All the other things really do not matter to me. Pioneer gave thousands of kids an opportunity. I myself was one of those clueless kids being cared for and valued, for what I was then. I owe much in life to the lessons learned there. That is what matters. Irish or not.....I could care less. The programs are enjoyable. Do I think there are many corps better? Yes, I am not blind.....but I simply do not care. "Better Every Day" goes a lot further than scores to a Pioneer.

Edited by PeeJay

If they want a winning show with an Irish twist then they should do Percy Grainer. The man was from Australia, but most of his stuff at least SOUNDS Irish, if it isn't originally.

Or Holst's Second Suite in F Fourth Movement (Dargason). There's another "Irish-Sounding" tune (although it's English).

There is amazing music everywhere that "sounds" Irish even though it's not.

One thing I've noticed with the traditional Irish music is that there's only so much of it. That's part of what kept me from marching 2008 was the fact that some of the music was exactly the same as 2007. I was looking through the repertoire history and pieces like rakes of mallow and irish washerwoman (both of which I played with Pioneer) have been performed several times (the link http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?vie...orpstype=Junior ) .

Anyone else audibly catch that throughout the years? Having marched in 06 I know for sure there's a lick at the end of the show that is the same from the 06 closer but I'm not sure if anyone else from a general audience perspective might catch that, it's real brief.

All I can say is that for me personally, if I were a youngster with a couple years under his belt at Pioneer and say 3-4 more years left to march, the idea of playing 3-4 more shows of the same kind of music would bore the pants off of me. I have to believe this becomes a retention issue at some point. It has to be hard enough to retain talent that might be getting the itch to play a Sat night show, but I think the unending devotion to a very specific and narrow approach to choosing music must add to that.

All I can say is that for me personally, if I were a youngster with a couple years under his belt at Pioneer and say 3-4 more years left to march, the idea of playing 3-4 more shows of the same kind of music would bore the pants off of me. I have to believe this becomes a retention issue at some point. It has to be hard enough to retain talent that might be getting the itch to play a Sat night show, but I think the unending devotion to a very specific and narrow approach to choosing music must add to that.

Could be....but the fact that Pioneer had 10 year vets in the corps when I marched should say something.

If they want a winning show with an Irish twist then they should do Percy Grainer. The man was from Australia, but most of his stuff at least SOUNDS Irish, if it isn't originally.

Or Holst's Second Suite in F Fourth Movement (Dargason). There's another "Irish-Sounding" tune (although it's English).

There is amazing music everywhere that "sounds" Irish even though it's not.

Both Holst & Grainer have been played by Pioneer....recently

They've played both in the past.