Pioneer 2009

Every time I talk to someone involved in the Pioneer organization about the successes this year or even see it on the internet I get a huge smile on my face, because I know I was part of laying down that foundation with many others in pervious year, and it is about time the kids feel what hard work can do for you, I have a gut feeling that something special is going to happen for them this year whether is beating one corps or making it so semifinals or something else I just feel real good about it.

Please do not get me wrong, during my time at Pioneer we did not let some guys in green shirts dictate how our summer would be for us, as long as we get “Better Every Day” that is all that mattered. We did the best show we could do is all that matter to the kids and the staff.

I want to personally thank Donny Allen, Tandy Gourd and Steve West (Steve-o). For making my time at Pioneer the best time of my life and being people that I could always turn to for help or really anything.

All three of them are with Pioneer this year and I know they have big hand into how successful this start to the season has been. I know the whole staff this year will lead Pioneer to greatness…….

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny, I want to thank you for your post. It, quite frankly, brought a tear to my eye. I am very pleased that Luis is doing well and feel very lucky that he has eople like you, and the others, working with him. I know when he finishes the summer he will be a better person as well as a better musician

Thanks to you and all of the staff.

scholarship does not mean free, it was $500 which is a great price but also a plane to washington with only a couple days' notice.

haven't seen pioneer yet hoping to catch them sometime this month.

I have not seen them this year, and I wont unfortunately. BUT.. Its nice to seem them (score wise anyway) seem to be a step up from last year. I dont know if they will beat anyone, but I think they will threaten a few corps this year. Be nice to see them back in the hunt.

Pio always gets props from me for continuing to troop the stands the way they do. That's one drum corps tradition from Pio that I hope never goes away!

Pioneer has been the corps people always peg early on as being last all season.

They started the 08 season with a 52.1

The 09 season has started with a 59.1

They are bigger and have a higher vet return this season.

The last contest they were .2 from Madison and .7 from Spirit in percussion.

Will we see Pioneer pull out of last?

Please keep negative comments to yourself. I would like this to be discussion.

From 2002 - 2008 they were last all but one year. That's a pretty long current history of being last. However, with a small Cascades and new-kids-on-the-block Jersey Surf, perhaps they will be able to fight their way out of the bottom.

I'm pretty big on looking at past/current history as a guesstimate of trends, and based on that, however, it doesn't look good for Pioneer.

** EDIT **

Looking at corps reps I see they've been last at every competition so far this season as well, with a spread of roughly 5 points, at best (sometimes as much as 8 points), between their last place score and the corps directly ahead of them. I know that they have not seen their closest competitors from last year (Mandarins and Academy), nor have they seen the two 'newest' corps yet this season (Cascades and Surf). But last place by 5 points at best against two of last year's Semifinalists does not bode well.

HOWEVER, last season at Quarters there was a spread of almost 4 points between Pioneer and 19th place Mandarins, and a 9 point spread between Pioneer and Spirit. So a shorter spread now is a sign of potentially better things.

Also, last year they were significantly further behind Spirit and other similar corps at this point, and about a point lower around the same date.

Edited by perc2100