California Magic...

:blink: Over the past decades midwest and east coast corps that have ventured west early season all seem to have great success, 27th, Madison, Phantom Regiment, Cadets.... Maybe this year it will be a boost for Bluuuuuuuuuue :omg:

[edit: nevermind. Thought they came out with Phantom. I got mixed up with '07]

Edited by skajerk

:blink: Over the past decades midwest and east coast corps that have ventured west early season all seem to have great success, 27th, Madison, Phantom Regiment, Cadets.... Maybe this year it will be a boost for Bluuuuuuuuuue :omg:

Not really: Madison didn't exactly have success in 1990 going to to California - 9th place finals. Star went out there in '88 and finished 7th.

Not really: Madison didn't exactly have success in 1990 going to to California - 9th place finals. Star went out there in '88 and finished 7th.

Soo pessimistic! Success is subjective.

Anyway,

The last two years of Stanford:

The corps that places second @ Stanford goes on to win DCI Champs.

2007: 2nd Place Blue Devils wins DCI

2008: 2nd Place Phantom Regiment wins DCI

Not really serious about that idea though, just for fun!

:P

Don't forget Blue Rock.... they came out one year and ended up folding the next. I'm not sure, but I think most of their vehicles died en route. It was great to see them, though!

In the early days of DCI, going west was kind of a crucible for midwest and eastern corps. Did they have the infrastructure and finances to make the trip and survive?? Blue Rock wasn't the only corps that was challenged by the California tour.

Before the 1979 season, I made the trip to the DCI winter meetings in El Salvador, of all places. They needed a corps to fill out the western tour. You never saw so many corps directors looking at their napkins or up at the ceiling (I exaggerate only slightly). If I recall, the Madison Scouts finally said they'd do it.

Before the 1979 season, I made the trip to the DCI winter meetings in El Salvador, of all places. They needed a corps to fill out the western tour. You never saw so many corps directors looking at their napkins or up at the ceiling (I exaggerate only slightly). If I recall, the Madison Scouts finally said they'd do it.

Spirit of Atlanta and Crossmen made the trip, and forged a lifelong friendship in the process.

:blink:

Garry in Vegas

Suncoast Sound went west in 1986. We spanked BD and SCV in brass the whole time too :)

Although I do not remember ever taking 2nd to them all year. :blink:

And remember that "southern" tour that DCI had us both on. Huge bugs, field practice after sundown and very, very, very hot. Devs took that nice, cool "northern" tour that year.