Encores Before Score Announcements

Encores Before Scores?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like encores played before score announcements?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Don't care either way. whatever happened to full retreat? :laughing:

I like the format, but the two times I've seen encores, the PA announcer couldn't wait to get the corps off the field.

Both times Blue Stars, once in Mankato and once in Sioux Falls, right after the show was played at standstill, the announcer tried to bring the DMs onto the field. Both times, the corps managed to hold out to play the Gershwin piece that was prepared for encore, but couldn't hold out for the corps song in Mankato and didn't even try in Sioux Falls.

Maybe it was two isolated events, but it looks to me that previous pressure to have longer encores may be changed to having shorter encores. Perhaps more coordination between the show organizers and the corps needs to happen.

hm. Maybe they should get it organized a little better... maybe give the corps 12 minutes? or 15 minutes? And they can fill it with whatever combination of music they want. show music / extras / parade tune / chord progressions / whatever.

I'm sure they plan it so that the last corps is never the encorps.

I would assume on Finals night, since it is a full retreat and all, it will be the "old way."

OK, evidently I was wrong - Crown was last in Normal tonight and was the encore as well. Shouldn't be a problem anyway - all of us were able to do two runs in a row back in the day, right? :laughing:

GREAT idea DCI.

It gives the crowd something to do while waiting for scores,

It fills the empty space while waiting for scores,

It gets the corps members out of the show site sooner,

And more people get to see the encore!

A great win-win for all involved I think.

I like the idea, although the question becomes what happens when the last corps to go on is the same one to do the encore? They'll need a few minutes to recuperate and get their chops back.

If this keeps up, does this mean we'll technically know the outcome on Finals night before the scores are announced? :tongue:

Glassmen did that last night in Toledo. Performed last and did the encore. They sounded great doing both, it didn't seem like they had any problems with it.

OK, evidently I was wrong - Crown was last in Normal tonight and was the encore as well. Shouldn't be a problem anyway - all of us were able to do two runs in a row back in the day, right? :thumbup:

Don't remind me of those days! :tongue:

best idea DCI has had recently