Report from Cadet's Rehearsal

I do feel bad for you guys, I'm sorry that happened to you.

I almost feel wrong saying this, I don't want you all to think I don't care how corps treat their fans, but it doesn't make me any less curious. Is there any kind of review you can give us of the show? If you can't, I fully understand, I would be fairly upset as well if something like that happened to me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For one, to me it seemed like they fixed a lot of the talking clip issues. They seemed to fit in much better today. I'm almost 100% certain the fans will still love this show.

they have a free day tomorrow and were tired from 2 rehearsal days IMO.

Hung out over by the pit again today. They were working the sound clips in to cool, among a few other non-electronic things. I just have to say that I absolutely went crazy hearing them run through the entire sound clip part. It added so much to the show, in my opinion. A drum-set fill that starts to build all to hear "cool it a-rab, cool it".

But it's the sound clip right after this that I liked the best...the sample of Ray Stevens singing

"Let me tell you 'bout A-hab.....". Works GREAT!

The end of their show will probably be another fast paced kaledeiscopic frenzy of drill, fast notes, and FFF dynamics which I love - but I always thought it would be neat to end a WSS show like the movie ends...

When Tony sees Maria across the playground and shouts "Maria" - then Chino shoots and he falls in her arms and dies while she sings a phrase of "Somewhere" - then the score ends with the strains of the "Somewhere" closing melody.

I always pictured in my head a company front like they have with the "Tonight" theme with Tony and Maria on opposite ends of the company front running towards each other (ala SCV 04 with the 2 principal characters) and when they reach each other - the hornline releases, a split second of silence, and a gunshot. Then they end it from there with a soloist would play as if they were Maria singing "Hold My Hand and we're half-way there...hold my hand and I'll take you there...some how, some day...somewhere......."

Then backfield the final 3 phrases of "Some how.........Some Day.....Some where....." played in the middle/low brass and they carry Tony's body off the field as they do in the movie.

Kind of morbid, but I get chills when I watch the movie (one of my ALL-TIME favorites) - and with the right staging, performance, it could turn into one of those magical moments - and something that I haven't ever seen done with a WSS show. Just a thought.

Edited by Jacob

Maybe they don't want to do that ending 'cause Crown's already doing it.

As far as the video recording is concerned, well, you made a mistake that was exascerbated by an overzealous group of instructors over a piece of music that is really not their creation. Their arrangement--yes. Creation--no. Welcome to the new world media Cadets. You should have recorded them being jerks and posted it! hahaha Being recorded is part of the game now. People want more content for their entertainment dollar, and people usually get no more than one show per year to view their favorite corps. But, in their defense, these shows are their greatest competitive and financial resource, so giving out content freely on the web is a loss of opportunity to advance their ability to survive in a tight marketplace.

However, to that I say, lighten up Holy Name. You have the goods this year. Just play....

Two words for Cadets fans that are sick and tired of their insistence on using amplified vocals:

Carolina Crown. :thumbup:

Yes indeed! Just like Crown 04?

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes!

My Cadets source says they're trying out little tidbits like 'stay cool' or 'pow' (obviously those are for the Cool number). they're adding them mostly to the more 'empty' bits in the songs. Doesn't amoun even to a sentence. He doesn't mind it. To me, it sounds like what Coats have done past couple years (but much less in quantity), maybe more like what BD did in 06 with their Godfather show. We'll see what happens with it.

Where did BD 06 finish again?

Yeah, I thought about that in my car ride home. Not sure if I'm going to follow through with it quite yet.

Maybe you should drag the guy who posted the clips to their rehearsal and make him apologize to them...and get you off the hook!

Garry in Vegas

Tonight's events:

I was sitting in the stands recording some personal video and one of the staff members came and said "If you're going to keep recording, we are going to have to ask you to leave." I was like "ok" and closed and shut my camera off because I didn't want them to kick me out. I stopped recording and like a half hour later they sent another person to tell me there is no recording. He was pretty rude about it. After that they kept sending people to constantly check up on me to make sure I wasn't recording. They had asked me once to stop, and I stopped right then. I wasn't going to record any more. So when it comes time to do the run through, they sent two staff members to sit by me on one side, then they also sent some volunteers on the other side a few rows back. There was also one guy who stopped directly in front of me, looked up at the rest of the staff up top then stared directly at me to check me AGAIN. Then before they started, the same lady that originally told me that I had to stop recording said in an extremely rude voice "NO VIDEOING". Oh yeah, I forgot to add that since the staff was so concentrated on watching me, they missed the older gentlemen 15 rows down from me recording the whole show. I hope he posts it on YouTube.....

I really do hope he posts his recording on Youtube.

Rudeness is ftl