Report from Cadet's Rehearsal

wait, you're joking, right? Hell was raised over Crown 04.

I'm talkin about 07 dude. Okay, how about this, not as many people complained.

Better?

Edited by 2000Cadet

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have seen a few clips of them rehearsing this on some site, and if I had, I might think that, yes, what they are doing is exactly like the soundtrack - short exclamations or comments in between musical phrases, just as in the movie version. I would also have noticed that the bites are actual recorded bits from the film, not voiced by a kid in the pit.

I would think the overall effect is, well, COOL, and accurately mimics the fun syncopation between words and music in the original. Once balance and volume is perfected....pretty fun.

So, if I had seen these, I might not be freaking out that the sky is falling. ;)

I may have seen a few clips of them rehearsing this on some site, and if I had, I might think that, yes, what they are doing is exactly like the soundtrack - short exclamations or comments in between musical phrases, just as in the movie version. I would also have noticed that the bites are actual recorded bits from the film, not voiced by a kid in the pit.

I would think the overall effect is, well, COOL, and accurately mimics the fun syncopation between words and music in the original. Once balance and volume is perfected....pretty fun.

So, if I had seen these, I might not be freaking out that the sky is falling. ;)

Blue Devils did short phrases and individual words in 98, too. They just couldn't mike it or sample it.

Now if Cadets could just get a dancer like Russ Tamblyn!

Garry in Vegas

From Hop <snip>

If you listen to COOL, you will hear the exact sound clips. Our arrangement at this point in the show is a cross between the MOVIE Soundtrack and a Patti Austin version that appears on a CD Called "The Songs of West Side Story".

Total Clips --- 6 or 7 … total words spoken …. 20-25!

The purpose of the clips is NOT to explain to anything but rather to make a more real connection to WSS at that point. We do the same with the Whistles in the beginning and periodically through the show. All voice appears in one number and in two sections.

This evening (Sat) in Ypsilanti, we will be working on all of this – balance, what is in and what is out … etc --- there is also the matter of gaining permission to use the clips. We are working on that also.

That's fine. Very similar to what Bluecoats last year. Only a few diehards are likely to find that outright objectionable.

HOWEVER-- I would not be at all surprised if they had a very hard time getting permission, in a timely fashion, to use clips from the soundtrack, for live shows and particularly for DCI's recordings. They might be able to re-record their own versions of the soundbites, if they don't get them. I'm no expert on the law (and Cadets probably should get one to give a clear answer), but re-recordings of brief excerpts probably don't violate copyrights on the script. Actual sound bites from the actual soundtrack, however, could be a very different story. Studios can be nasty about stuff like that.

I love this! :

pathetically anonymous person : "please,,, please,,, you must take the sound clips out. They dont work.. it makes the show sound cheesy. IT doesnt work!!!! you've already learned that lesson. Let it go.."

Hop : "I assume you live here in Ypsilanti? Come see me tonight. I would be interested in why you do not think they work? Perhaps I am missing something?

But .. if you checked it out and you see it as definitely not working, and I assume you mean for all ... let me know. I would love to learn.

This is a challenging business and growing the design from day one has been interesting. But .. if you see something I do not, I look forward to hearing from you."

Niiice :)

Also, Hop says these are the clips in as of an hour or two ago :

“Live in this Lousy World, Play it Cool”

“Easy Action”

“Shhhh”

“Cool it Arab; Cool It”

“Pow”

I don't know about the 'Arab' part, lol, but ok...

Saw this on Hop's twitter: Cadets equipment trailer bent a tea axle on the traile. We r tying up the bent axle to move but we have a problem - 4 weeks to repair

They are looking for a band to rent a trailer from. Hmmmm..me thinks their free day tomorrow may not be happening.

I love this! :

pathetically anonymous person : "please,,, please,,, you must take the sound clips out. They dont work.. it makes the show sound cheesy. IT doesnt work!!!! you've already learned that lesson. Let it go.."

Hop : "I assume you live here in Ypsilanti? Come see me tonight. I would be interested in why you do not think they work? Perhaps I am missing something?

But .. if you checked it out and you see it as definitely not working, and I assume you mean for all ... let me know. I would love to learn.

This is a challenging business and growing the design from day one has been interesting. But .. if you see something I do not, I look forward to hearing from you."

Niiice :)

Also, Hop says these are the clips in as of an hour or two ago :

“Live in this Lousy World, Play it Cool”

“Easy Action”

“Shhhh”

“Cool it Arab; Cool It”

“Pow”

I don't know about the 'Arab' part, lol, but ok...

Would be interesting if this person would take George up and to go see him.

Saw this on Hop's twitter: Cadets equipment trailer bent a tea axle on the traile. We r tying up the bent axle to move but we have a problem - 4 weeks to repair

They are looking for a band to rent a trailer from. Hmmmm..me thinks their free day tomorrow may not be happening.

all the additional weight from the amps and speakers overloaded the trailer... :tongue:

Im trying to find the word to describe this...all I can come up with is "pathetic". I mean, I have no real problem with a corps that uses voice. I do have a problem with a corps that cant go one season without using voice - especially in a season where it was announced that it wouldnt be done... My least favorite kind of narration is the stuff added after the fact because they assumed people couldnt get it. Good lord cadets....I guess it was too much to hope for to have one year without talking. I guess we got 4 or 5 shows at least, and I was at one of them. Maybe I should be greatful - that might be the last time I ever seen a cadet corps without talking at the rate things are going...

Spoken like a true ... One of those Cadet dislike (ers)