Santa Clara Vanguard 2009

Conversely, this video makes me even more appreciative of the genius offered by the visual package and engrossing story that Garfield's version offered (even if liberties were taken with some of the music).

This is my thought exactly. While I appreciate SCV's treatment of the ballet and think it's a good show overall, I find myself at many points comparing it to Garfield '87 and realizing how much of a monster the latter show was. The way the Cadets melded tempo, dynamics and visual into one was, and still is, nothing short of amazing. It's "misty-eyed standing-O" material in my book... and that's when I'm watching it on DVD. Genius indeed.

Oh yeah, after a not-so-brief hiatus, I am officially back on the "Planet."

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my thought exactly. While I appreciate SCV's treatment of the ballet and think it's a good show overall, I find myself at many points comparing it to Garfield '87 and realizing how much of a monster the latter show was. The way the Cadets melded tempo, dynamics and visual into one was, and still is, nothing short of amazing. It's "misty-eyed standing-O" material in my book... and that's when I'm watching it on DVD. Genius indeed.

Oh yeah, after a not-so-brief hiatus, I am officially back on the "Planet."

Lucky for SCV 2009 they have a CG which will help them with the overall score. Had CG been part of the total score back in 1987, Cadets would not have fared so well.

Please give them the credit they deserve. Let them achieve more than they ever thought they could. Make them happy, fullfilled and successful, in all they do this year on the field and off.

And the Lord will Bless...

auldman86a.jpg

Please give them the credit they deserve. Let them achieve more than they ever thought they could. Make them happy, fullfilled and successful, in all they do this year on the field and off.

And the Lord will Bless...

auldman86a.jpg

Well said

I know it is hard to peel one's eyes off the company front. If you do, look to the right and watch the excellent work the cymbal line is doing. :tongue::worthy: :worthy:

Long time fan from 74. My favorite SCV Shows of all time are 75,88 and 09. The 09 Show has the same emotional pull for me as the 88 Show. To me this Show right here has found the balance between old skook and new skool Drum Corps. Thank you so much for this kind of show.

Let's see, the same song(that I know) lasting over 4 minutes , with a great drum solo and great drill added into the mix. Followed up by one hell of a company front. Remind me what era are we in? :tongue:

I watched the Ut. video on FN, and I did not hear anyone do the Vanguard yell. That shows how much respect many have for SCV.

Dean

I know it is hard to peel one's eyes off the company front. If you do, look to the right and watch the excellent work the cymbal line is doing. :tongue::tongue::worthy:

Oh yeah....especially during the last long chord....hopefully the camera will go to them during it.

Wonder where the Viper will be....if it fits.

Oh yeah....especially during the last long chord....hopefully the camera will go to them during it.

Wonder where the Viper will be....if it fits.

Don't you hate it when the camera doesn't go to what you want to see?

Don't you hate it when the camera doesn't go to what you want to see?

Or when it misses the really good stuff and focuses on someone waiting 32 counts for an entrance...don't get me going on mid 80s camera work....

Or when it misses the really good stuff and focuses on someone waiting 32 counts for an entrance...don't get me going on mid 80s camera work....

I've offered (and the offer still stands) to be a technical director for Tom. I'd tour a bit and make notes with time stamps for camera selections.

All I need to think of for poor camera choices is that #### bell in Regiment's "1812" in 83 AND 84. So much good stuff happening and all we see is the bell guy in the pit for 30 seconds.

Garry in Vegas