Is THIS the "Golden Age"?

Now I know for most former MMs, the Golden Age is the era during which you marched.

And I also know that many fans don't like some of the recent changes (amplification, electronics, etc.).

HOWEVER, a neutral fan (such as myself) might come to the conclusion that the Golden Age is NOW!

To wit:

(1) OVERALL QUALITY

While there are fewer total corps than there were years ago, I would argue that there are MORE GREAT corps than ever before. The talent level (at both the MM and staff level) and quality of design and execution has never been better. Each of the "Top 7" corps are outstanding and can challenge for the title. And there will be several corps that don't make Finals this year that are really good (only 2 out of following 6 corps will make Finals: Blue Stars, BK, Glassmen, Troopers, Scouts, Spirit, Crossmen, Academy).

(2) MUSICIANSHIP

Has never been better. Some lament the loss of the "take a kid off the street and give him a horn" approach of yesteryear, but for fans, having talented and experienced performers greatly increases the thrill factor. Brass sound quality is MUCH MUCH better than the "old days." (Listen to some old shows if don't believe me.) Percussion writing has improved immensely and the talent level of the performers is amazing.

(3) TECHNOLOGY

Today's technology is great for fans. With the Fan Network, corps web sites and other sources, we get to see much more of all the corps, including show performances, warm-ups, practices, and "behind the scenes" stories. We get scores and recaps instantly (although never fast enough...). And we get real time reviews and comments from things like Twitter. DVDs are great as well (hi-def someday?).

Thoughts?

Edited by Cache_Money

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too soon to tell, but you also leave out mass popularity. better performance quality and technology are good things, but that doesnt always equate to popular. At least 2008 and so far 2009 seem to be generatiing more positive fan commentary towards what they see and hear

It all depends on how you percieve it. If you compare the number of Jr. Corps in 1965 to todays numbers it's more like the "ice age" than the "golden age".

If you're 17-22 and marching this summer, it's definately the " Golden Age of Drum Corps".

That's because in 15 years your summers will be spent working 8- 6 pm Mon- Fri, with a part-time gig weekends teaching individual trumpet, sax, violin, drum, or dance, etc to 9 year olds as you try to work off you and your Significant Others portion of the 10 trillion dollar ( or Yen ) Federal Deficit.

I won't go so far as to call this the Golden Age - and it certainly isn't the "Good Old Days" but this most recent (Acheson regime) incarnation of our activity may be the best run business wise of all times. I also think that the connection to kids who were not brought up within the activity from the age of 10 is the best ever, which may make the activity solvent for a long time, whether or not some of us old-timers subscribe to the changes in rules or instrumentation.

The corps from 12 - 20 or so are the best ever, and while we may not go 30 some deep at prelims as in the 70s, we may yet make it back seeing groups like Jersey Surf (relatively recent, having started during the early '90s) and others digging in and becoming successful, we may get back to those big numbers of corps.

One thing that's particularly heart-warming for me is the success of corps like Crown and others. In 1995 at a DCI symposium, George Hopkins told me, very publicly, that I was delusional for thinking that any corps was ever again going to break into the top tier of corps that he identified as the top 6 at the time. (He was pushing for a separate tour and separate rules governing the elite 6).

Don't look now, George...

I may be off base - but the Golden Age for me will correspond with the folks whom I consider the most inspired show creators, i.e. Ralph Pace, George Zingali, Steve Brubaker, Mark Silverster, Fred Sanford, Dennis Delucia, Thom Hannum, Ralph Hardiman, Charlie Poole, Tom Floate, Jimmer Prime, Ray Baumgartner, Jim Ott, Larry Kerchner, Frank Dorritie, Bobby Hoffman, and undoubtedly many others that I'm overlooking because of incipient old age. Maybe most important of the bunch, Donald Angelica who launched an age of enlightened adjudication that helped nurture these brilliant writers.

As always I reserve the right to be completely off base. If I missed your favorite writer, like for instance Jay Dawson just popped into my head, I humbly apologize. I don't think anyone could do a comprehensive list as stream of semi-consciousness like this.

And I have not included the guys who were the great writers of what I consider, "The Good Old Days" i.e. Hy Dreitzer, Joe Genero, Corky Fabrizio, Ed Denon, Jim Wedge, Jim Wren,John Sasso, Vinnie Ratford, Jerry Schellmer - the list goes on and on.

It all depends on how you percieve it. If you compare the number of Jr. Corps in 1965 to todays numbers it's more like the "ice age" than the "golden age".

More isn't better.

I'd rather fave fewer high quality corps (and I mean from an operations standpoint) then several dozen corps of Tragic of Orlando quality. We've all heard the horror stories of corps back then. I, for one, am beyond glad we've moved past that (for the most part).

To stay OT.

No

And to stray off a little.. I don't know.. ask the MM of the 22nd, 23rd, 24th and 25th place corps that make up the Top 25.

Edited by WWonka

i dont really buy into the "good old days" saying... its just a thing we say that does not have much meaning.

I think everyday is the 'good old day' and depends on what we make of it.

in terms of your post, i dont know, nor do i care if they are the 'good old days'.. what i Do know is that i am more entertained by drum corps in the 2000's then i have ever been previously!

More isn't better.

I'd rather fave fewer high quality corps (and I mean from an operations standpoint) then several dozen corps of Tragic of Orlando quality. We've all heard the horror stories of corps back then. I, for one, am beyond glad we've moved past that (for the most part).

Well, who knows, maybe in 20 years we'll have a " high quality " 12 Corps in World Class, 6 will make it through Quarters, and 3 will go into the Finals to see who's the best in front of the one judge at an indoor ice hockey arena in Duluth, Minnesota in front of 800 screaming fans.