Score Jumps

65019606.png

So this is a homemade Excel spreadsheet/graph I use to personally keep track of corps scores/standings/progressions throughout the season. I tried to make it pretty clear who is who. Looking at it today, there have been some scoring jumps by all corps at a few recent shows (see Boston, Crown and Cadets in Rome two days ago, and Spirit, Madison, Colts and Pioneer in South Milwaukee last night). What are some thoughts to the cause of this? Judging inconsitencies (please do not turn this into a conspiracy theory thread)? Smaller judging panels? Perfect show conditions? I'm not sure what to make of it.

65019606.png

So this is a homemade Excel spreadsheet/graph I use to personally keep track of corps scores/standings/progressions throughout the season. I tried to make it pretty clear who is who. Looking at it today, there have been some scoring jumps by all corps at a few recent shows (see Boston, Crown and Cadets in Rome two days ago, and Spirit, Madison, Colts and Pioneer in South Milwaukee last night). What are some thoughts to the cause of this? Judging inconsitencies (please do not turn this into a conspiracy theory thread)? Smaller judging panels? Perfect show conditions? I'm not sure what to make of it.

Graphics advice: Take out the markers(x's and squares, etc) and the chart will be even easier to read.

I don't see how you want someone to answer this question.

It's not like a race. There's no "definite" order of finish. It's a judge's opinion of how the corps did that night. On top of that, it's different judges at different shows. There could be completely different judges at a show than the night before for practically the same corps.

You can lay down reason after reason that could be the cause.

Could you judge a group of corps within 1-3 tenths of a point of how I judge them? Probably not.

Don't over analyze. Just enjoy.

Couldn't have said it better.

You could put this reply on 90% of the posts on DCP.

This is the second thread that I have read about score jumps.......I have done this activity for a long time.....some facts.....

(1) 14 hour rehearsals do tend to at least take some errors away........if they don't, you need to check your methods

or do some rewrites........3 days of rehearsal equals 24-42 hours of practice....some improvement should happen.....

(2) once a corps has some shows under the belt, confidence levels will increase as will performance levels.....

(3) once drills and guard work are complete, corps can actually start cleaning things........

(4) even way back "in the day" (when I marched), corps would get hammered early on the tour when marching was

dirty, and then scores would jump quickly as the marching was cleaned.....I also believe scoring was far less consistent

then with multiple circuits and judging associations....it wasn't unusual for a corps score to go DOWN as much as 8-12

points at the start of the DCI tour

(5) as long as corps are judged fairly in relationship to one another, the overall score is secondary.......if there is any

score inflation that concerns me, it is at nationals......in my opinion, I see 19's (out of 20) shelled out too often

when not earned, among top competitors, even when it is obvious that there is a weakness (ie music effect, for

example)

GB

When you have a group of corps so close together like Madison, Spirit, and Colts, their scores tend to be relative to the corps that are above and below them, but not close them in score. Example, Blue Stars scored a 74.7 in Dubuque, and Madison, Spirit, Colts were all roughly 5 points below that. When the ceiling is removed, there are no corps above their scoring group to compare them with, no reason to make sure there is room above them so the next corps up can receive a reasonable score. It is possible, certainly, had Blue Stars been at the Milwaukee show, that these three corps could have closed the gap from around 5 points to around 1.5. It is much more likely however, that either Blue Stars would have scored in the 78-79 range in comparison to the other three, OR that a much smaller increase in everyones scores would have happened and the spread of around 5 points be maintained. At least that is how I look at it.

65019606.png

You left out practice and improvment

Edited by rayfallon

Don't over analyze. Just enjoy.

Then there would be no point to DCP :worthy:

Edited by bluublood