Is it me or is the season really short these days?

Would it be possible to go back to a similar format (smaller, regional circuits), and then have a larger tour heading to DCI?

I think that the expectations are too high today. Audiences at all of the smaller, local shows didn't expect corps to be as spectacular (for lack of a better word) as corps are today. Not every show had the "Best of the Best" that are a "must" at today's shows. The productions have gotten so big, so intricate and involved that there is no way that they could be ready for Memorial Day. Many corps aren't ready until sometime in July. With the modern model of drawing talent from more diverse areas, and the trend that has been pointed out earlier in this thread of members not having as long of a break in the summer added in, I don't see it ever happening again.

That's correct. Most of the "major" corps did two split tours back then. Many smaller corps would do one or the other tour with them. Shows could be rounded out with smaller corps from the show site area that didn't really go on any tour at all.

I was in a corps that didn't compete in DCI midwest my first year, but we took our bus up to that show to watch. Sounds kind of silly now I guess.

I know it's hard for some marching members of the last 10 years anyway to envision this, but I'm not kidding when I say that in the Chicago area alone in the 70's we had probably 25 corps just in the immediate area. The east coast was twice that in their respective areas... and if you want figure Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio back then the number was easily 100 corps. Most were just very small (but entertaining!) corps.

Shows were going on basically Thursday through Sunday nights around here back then SOME where... and there were drum corps in most every parade in the vicinity as well.

Bold emphasis mine.

When I was in the Sharpshooters (Framingham, MA) in the Eastern Mass circuit, shows took all day. We had Class A, Class B, Class C, All Girl, and Drill Teams. It would not be unusual for as show to start at 1:00 pm and end at 11:00 pm. That's why there were not many midweek shows. When I was with the 27th Lancers, we had two three week tours, with a couple weeks inbetween. That's when we made most of our changes. Tour was for cleaning and performing. Finals was on the 3rd Saturday of August. I enjoyed every minute of it. By the way, we practiced every weekend during the off season, then had a monthly camp. That's because most of the members were local, so we had enough to practice with.

This season is moving at break neck speed if you ask me !! :worthy:

The season will be three weeks long 10 years from now.

If you actually go back and look at it, while the season is shorter than it was a long time ago, its leveled off in recent years. Why? Probably because, as someone noted, corps still have about as many shows as they used to (somewhere in the 30 neighborhood) but they have consolidated the schedule to about as much as you can. Many of the days that arent show days are rehearsal days that are built in the middle of long distances between 2 shows. Limiting the amount of time the corps is actually out on the road (as opposed to in everydays) likely helps manage costs.

Also, the season starts later, but now corps still start everydays just as early (memorial day or even a week before) and their everydays are that much longer. And as another thread talked about, it isnt as common as it once was to take a large break in the middle where the corps rehearsed. Even though tour is only 50 days this year, some years where it was more, the corps wasnt really touring for a chunk of that in the middle.

If you actually go back and look at it, while the season is shorter than it was a long time ago, its leveled off in recent years. Why? Probably because, as someone noted, corps still have about as many shows as they used to (somewhere in the 30 neighborhood) but they have consolidated the schedule to about as much as you can. Many of the days that arent show days are rehearsal days that are built in the middle of long distances between 2 shows. Limiting the amount of time the corps is actually out on the road (as opposed to in everydays) likely helps manage costs.

Also, the season starts later, but now corps still start everydays just as early (memorial day or even a week before) and their everydays are that much longer. And as another thread talked about, it isnt as common as it once was to take a large break in the middle where the corps rehearsed. Even though tour is only 50 days this year, some years where it was more, the corps wasnt really touring for a chunk of that in the middle.

Yeah.

From move-in to finals was always around 85 days when I marched earlier this decade. It sure seemed like a long time.

Then there was the ToC...

and this year, if the corps moved in on memorial day weekend, saturday, may 23 to saturday august 8 is 78 days.

I remember back in 1987, there was a judges field day show in Delevan, WI. It was before Memorial Day weekend and all the corps there had thier shows complete. The corps I recall being there were the Blue Stars, Guardsmen, Phantom Regiment Cadets, and The Madison Scouts. The show wasn't scored, as it was basically a day for the judges to go out and get an early refresher on things. All the corps had thier shows completed, and nobody stopped to arc it up. Scouts performed without thier uniforms; they were out thier in thier shorts and white bucks.

Yeah, I agree with how things are speeding along these days. When the season started, this year, I was thinking how that would have been the start of first tour after a couple of weekend shows to start June, back in the day. When I marched, the season woud start the first weekend in June with some weekend gigs, then a "first tour" to finish out the month, then prep time and weekend or extended first tour to get ready for the mid-point of the season (which would have been DCM), then a weekend show, then the home stretch with "second tour." The season would run well into August. This was back when the majority of the schools would let out at the end of May and not start up until after Labor Day; a true three month summer.

I always remember that the mid-point of the summer was like a major regional for all the corps; DCM finals, DCE finals, I think there was a DCW too. The actual DCI tour wouldn't start until the second half of the year. Sure there were some corps that would branch out and go to other regions, as done today; but most of the same corps toured together for the first part of the season.

There were some second tour shows that were two day events, back then, too. The Stillwater, MN show for example. A huge show in a small stadium that would pit a bunch of the Division I corps together for the first time of the season. Some of these shows were also a chance to see if a Division II or III (A and A-60) might have a chance at breaking into the top 25 that year, too.

Ahhhhh, sweet memories. Pretty cool thread.