REVO NEEDS HELP!

I checked my facts.

1) There are certainly no DCI corps in the Rio Grande Valley. All the DCI corps in Texas are in the DFW metroxplex, or San Antonio.

2) I see no DCI events anywhere in the Rio Grande Valley. See the event map:

http://www.dci.org/schedule/map/map.cfm

The closest event is the San Antonio regional. San Antonio is 4 1/2 hours from Brownsville. That's like driving from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh. So San Antonio is not in the RGV - nor is its DCI show.

3) Neither of the other 2 DCI corps in Texas recruit in the RGV. All of the Crossmen's camps are in San Antonio:

http://www.crossmen.org/page114243.html?linkfrom=12195524

And all of Memphis Sound's camps were in the DFW area:

http://www.memphisdrumcorps.org/forums/index.php?board=11.0

So no one else is holding camps or shows there, to recruit members. I seriously doubt if any out-of-state corps are recruiting there; if they come to Texas, they typically come to Houston or the Metroplex.

Actually Mystikal has hosted several camps in the RGV area this past year as most of their staff is from Texas. Much of that staff had toured with Revo 08, and the brass techs are also kingsville a&m alumni or students.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Mystikal has hosted several camps in the RGV area this past year as most of their staff is from Texas. Much of that staff had toured with Revo 08, and the brass techs are also kingsville a&m alumni or students.

So that corps is based in Long Beach, California - but recruited this year from the RGV in Texas?

Obviously, I was totally unaware of this.

I stand corrected.

Despite the negative impact cutting the tour short would have on the members who paid their fees and fulfilled their contracts, there is a huge danger in bailing out a corps in this situation. I suppose we could make analogies to larger issues of "bail outs" in the United States right now.

The post from the Revolution PR contact outlines all the reasons why we potential donors should be wary about making a contribution right now. 1) The corps left for tour knowing it could not cover expenses. 2) The corps chose not to do a full financial restructuring after getting into financial trouble in the past. 3) The corps was fined by DCI for violating some kind of DCI policy suggesting administrative problems.

Obviously everyone should do what they can to help all drum corps, but I will use my money to support corps that are operating with sound financial practices in place. I certainly do not want the members of Revolution to wind up stranded on tour without food, but I also don't want to help the corps administration to avoid dealing with the real underlying problems that brought them to this place again.

Yeah, whats unfair is that they allowed the members who put the corps in this position to maintain membership without their dues paid. If so many of the members were unable to pay their fees, the corps should not have fielded this year. Obviously it takes a great deal of $ to run a drum corps, and a financially sound corps will not need to survive season-to-season on member dues alone. They should have fundraising, sponsorships, etc to get through a year so that member fees can be rolled ahead to next year, or used for emergencies like a bus breakdown, etc.

The best business plan in the world is only as good as the people that are executing it! Revolution has shown no such person during the past few years.

As a drum corps participant and business owner that supports not only this activity but many other non-profit organizations, it upsets me that this is still the norm with Revo yet they put good solid paying members at risk with being run so poorly and going on the road. I think after this years problems they will be looked at by the powers to be before being allowed to take students on the road all summer again.

I hope they manage to take care of old, new and future business and start putting this type of mess behind them.

JVN

Why is this being posted on a public forum? I assume the blog can be accessed by anyone? This mostly deals within the organization, why is this public? I understand if you wish to appeal to the drum corps community in general, but perhaps this wasn't the best way to do this. It would seem that letters should have been sent to parents stating the issues. If you wished to ask for donations from outside the organization, then that could have been done directly on DCP. The request could have been made in such a way to avoid looking disorganized. The request could have said "Due to last minute financial issues, several members are in need of scholarship assistance. Donations can be made to......". The blogspot makes the management team look unorganized and unprofessional.

Edited by DAvery

Why is this being posted on a public forum? I assume the blog can be accessed by anyone? This mostly deals within the organization, why is this public? I understand if you wish to appeal to the drum corps community in general, but perhaps this wasn't the best way to do this. It would seem that letters should have been sent to parents stating the issues. If you wished to ask for donations from outside the organization, then that could have been done directly on DCP. The request could have been made in such a way to avoid looking disorganized. The request could have said "Due to last minute financial issues, several members are in need of scholarship assistance. Donations can be made to......". The blogspot makes the management team look unorganized and unprofessional.

That's because they are. :devil:

You would prefer they try to hide mistakes with a vague public statement? Well, to me, that sounds more unprofessional than admitting to the issues at hand. I would prefer the truth, if they wish to reach out to the public for help, which they have seemingly already provided us. Providing a vague and misleading call out for assistance is just dishonest and wrong. I give them credit for at least being honest.

All I can say is that the view from the trenches is alot different than the one from behind the lines.

I donated $20. All I can afford right now. I know what it's like to be part of an drum corps that is at risk of folding (an ultimately did for two seasons).

DONATE NOW!!!!!!!11!!