Noise complaints at rehearsal!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any stories about noise complaints from corps at rehearsal? Did neighboring residents complain? Did the cops show up? Did rehearsal have to end early?

Tell us your story.

Yeah, in 1989, I think it was in Bakersfield, we had a woman standing at the fence yelling at the corps at the top of her lungs to shut up. She was ######. So after about an hour of yeling, instead of stopping, we lined up and a did a full out run through.

they just came over and watched. For move ins the neighbors dont care. Its also in the middle of nowhere.

We usually didn't have much trouble on the road, at least that I remember. In La Crosse though, we used to get hassled by a guy who had built an apartment building catty-corner to our rehearsal site. The year before I joined, he apparently charged over red-faced in the middle of a rehearsal screaming at the corps, and caused enough trouble with the city that they eventually instituted noise ordinances that conveniently kicked in at the end of a normal rehearsal day.

Crown last year had one or two run ins with the Police. I believe once in Indiana and another I can't exactly remember. We were just too noisy! :thumbup:

BK had lots of complaints when we were at Englewood HS. Its smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood. We frequently had to stop at like 9:00pm because the residents called and complained. We ended up doing most of all days at a park in the middle of freaking nowhere Denver just to get away from everything.

Yeah, not a great story but we did get complaints.

Crown last year had one or two run ins with the Police. I believe once in Indiana and another I can't exactly remember. We were just too noisy! :thumbup:

A couple DCI officials took Todd Ryan's claves on finals day in 2005.

From the SCV web page 2009

The front ensemble was cloistered inside the college courtyard area, so it was actually difficult for anyone in the neighborhood to hear them practicing. The corps was aware of some of the noise ordinances and had even gone to the trouble of securing a permit to allow for rehearsal to continue after 6 pm, within the boundaries of the noise ordinances ("this drummin' ain't noise, it's music!"). The corps was also restricted from using any amplified voice (Long Ranger), amplified chirp (Dr. Beat) or any amplified pit or electronic instrumentation (Old School Drum Corps Fan's Dream).....eventually, they were also restricted from any battery drumming.

Officer Lynch of the Atherton Police Department arrived for his first visit a little after the corps' lunch had concluded. The brass were in the courtyard practicing and the battery were out on the football field, playing and marching some of the drill they had reviewed in the morning. When the officer encountered one of the SCV tour managers, he asked if the band on the field had anything to do with the band in the courtyard. Officer Lynch turned out to be a nice guy, but he also had a job to do. There's not a lot of crime in Atherton, so when three or four police cars show up, you know this must be more than a courtesy call.

Eventually, the battery turned around to face historic El Camino Real (the busy street) and moved the pit around to the back side of the football field. The band in the courtyard (the brass) kept playing without incident and so the management thought the corps would be able to get the evening session in without too much problem, as Officer Lynch returned for a second time to follow-up and said that everything was fine and soon after, dinner was served from Miss Amana.

In Atherton, there is a suspicion that the police are not only issued firearms, but are also issued decibel metering devices to carry on the opposing hip. There is an official 'Noise and Construction Ordinance' sheet that SCV was issued, upon receiving the permit. 'Construction and Delivery Activities' are only allowed during the weekdays between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. Sounds reasonable, unless you're a florist or a newspaper delivery person. Personally operating hand or power tools by residents and property owners is allowed on Saturday, Sunday and any holiday from 10 am to five pm, but never during the week.

The evening ensemble rehearsal was somewhat short-lived as Officer Lynch returned for his third and final time and requested that the battery stop playing, suggesting that the corps might be able to continue rehearsing until 8:30 pm if they faced the other way - like in the afternoon - and "have the band play facing El Camino Real, and maybe a little softer?" Everybody's a judge, even the police want to rewrite the shows! So the audience of about 200 - who had gathered in anticipation of a little bit of show-and-tell from SCV - were given a hide-and-go-seek version of our music and drill, as the corps moved into it's low-impact, low-volume (near stealth) phase of rehearsal.

In general, noises emanating from any property (public or private) beyond the property line must not exceed 60 DBA. Allegedly, SCV was "clocked" at 75 DBA on the property of a legitimately complaining neighbor who was having a party to inaugurate their new swimming pool. SCV took that as a compliment, but it also meant the battery couldn't play as an ensemble again on Saturday night or during the day on Sunday. Luckily, tomorrow was a short day of review and SCV loaded the buses immediately after dinner and headed to CSU - Fresno.

SCV representatives won't be attending the next Atherton town council meeting, but the sense around here was that there wouldn't be any drum corps rehearsing outdoors in Atherton any time soon. The membership truly enjoyed the Menlo College setting and were hopeful that they could return someday to maybe....practice inside?

A couple DCI officials took Todd Ryan's claves on finals day in 2005.

No electronic noises in the warm-up! Add to that ones that "sound electronic". :thumbup:

Yeah, in 1989, I think it was in Bakersfield, we had a woman standing at the fence yelling at the corps at the top of her lungs to shut up. She was ######. So after about an hour of yeling, instead of stopping, we lined up and a did a full out run through.

Jason, I don't know where you guys were staying, but I was checking out BD's battery that Saturday morning at Patriots Park across from West HS. Apparently they were too close to an apartment complex as they were practicing in the shade in one corner of the park. The police showed up, had a quick laugh, and the line moved about 80 yards away from the complex.