Noise complaints at rehearsal!

The Renegades have been kicked out of so many places that I've now lost count!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2007 some neighbor complained at our finals housing site one night... I don't think we changed rehearsal because of them though.

One year in Atlanta, I think it was also 2007... we did rehearsal before the morning show air and valve, and only played for the run through... too early to be making noise, apparently. Played for the run through since we were leaving right after that... heh.

In Madison in 2006, there was a house on campus that made a sign on Saturday night that said "DRUMMERS GO HOME!"

We left Garfield one year for VFW or AL States in Wildwood...around midnight...arrived about 4:00 AM, and by 5:00 AM we were rehearsing on the beach next to a hotel full of hung over conventioneers. Shortly after we started a police car comes screeching up, lights flashing, and the guy said over his PA..,."Stop the band music"....so we had to stop until around 6:00 AM.

Something similar happened up in Revere Mass where we were rehearsing on a parking lot for 27th Lancers home show...only it was night time.

The town of Garfield always made us stop by 9:00 PM, so we ended up holding rehearsals at the Bergen County Jail in Hackensack, within earshot of the inmates. They used to yell at us to stop...but the powers-that-be just thought we were 'extra' punishment, I guess, because we never did stop early.

We were given permission to rehearse at a church during all days. It was probably a week or week and a half before we had so many complaints we had to move out into the countryside. The pastor of the church apologized to us on the communities behalf when we left and gave us a really nice poker set. The poker chips were even better for setting drill=)

We left Garfield one year for VFW or AL States in Wildwood...around midnight...arrived about 4:00 AM, and by 5:00 AM we were rehearsing on the beach next to a hotel full of hung over conventioneers. Shortly after we started a police car comes screeching up, lights flashing, and the guy said over his PA..,."Stop the band music"....so we had to stop until around 6:00 AM.

Something similar happened up in Revere Mass where we were rehearsing on a parking lot for 27th Lancers home show...only it was night time.

The town of Garfield always made us stop by 9:00 PM, so we ended up holding rehearsals at the Bergen County Jail in Hackensack, within earshot of the inmates. They used to yell at us to stop...but the powers-that-be just thought we were 'extra' punishment, I guess, because we never did stop early.

Nice stories. Jeez, hide the ladies when you are near the jail.

My school is in a residential neighborhood. We've had no concerns over the years because of communication and a couple of promises that every drum corps I've hosted has honored:

1. The neighborhood association knows when a corps is coming to my school.

2. No playing outside before 9:00 a.m. and after 8:30 p.m.

3. Doctor Beat is pointed away from the houses. That's really the worst thing to deal with, not the playing - the corps get immune to that torture.

4. The neighbors are invited (and come) to check out rehearsals. Turns into a good time for everyone.

Star couldn't play their instruments at the corps hall after 9pm even though it was way out in the country and the nearest neighbor was a mile or two away.

Hahahaha... when we were somewhere in the central US, an old woman came out of her house across the street and yelled at our front ensemble (in the most obnoxious voice I've ever heard): "CAN'T YOU TAKE THAT INSIDE?!?!?! IT'S SO ANNOYING!!" Our pit tech just laughed and said to us "I think you guys have a fan." :thumbup:

Edited by Supersonic

In Madison in 2006, there was a house on campus that made a sign on Saturday night that said "DRUMMERS GO HOME!"

Hahaha... that's right! I remember seeing a sign that said "STOP PLAYING" or something like that... and next to it was a sign that said nothing but "HEADACHE!!" LOL :thumbup: