Show etiquette please

I love watching drum corps, but it is so frustrating to be at a show where people just do not be quiet during performances. Some people just talk through entire shows and get upset if you ask them to stop during a performance.

Tonight was especially frustrating as there was a group (from a high school band) sitting behind me and they just would not stop talking. We even asked some of their parent chaperones to ask them to stop and they did not. All these people should understand more than others that it is only proper to respect the hard work going on the field.

PLEASE if you go to shows, please have the courtesy to be quiet while groups are performing, there are people who wish to here the corps, not what you did during the day

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Toledo show last year, when the cadets were performing, there was OBVIOUSLY a fan that didn't like narration. And Toledo was one of the first shows of the season, so the story was not good that they were telling "on the radio". Every time they said something, this guy would obviously get very p.o'd. He'd shake his head, scoff at it, there were even a couple times he stood up and waved his hands as if to say "NO ONE CARES!!". He was making a bigger scene and being more obnoxious and embarrassing than anything the Cadets could ever put on the field. I don't care how much someone hates narration and the Cadets, you don't do that. It was a distraction more than anything.

This is great - I was going to post after Michigan City. During Cadets show last night the guy behing me has his phone ring. What's he do - shut off? Silent?? Nope - he answered it and talked to somebody about how the drywall hadn't finished drying and they would finish up today!! Lady next to me spins around and says "seriously???" Funny thing is it was her first Drum Corp show - and this guy used to march.

The guys wife meanwhile blabbered on about every corp - either she didn't like the uniforms, pointed out some people with weight problems, laughed at mistakes, etc.

Folks, those are our friends, kids, family members workin their tails off to put on a show for us. Shut up or leave the stands so the rest of us can enjoy!

I was at Beverly the other night and a lady sat in front of me with a toddler on her lap talking on her cell phone for a number of performances. The toddler got restless, grumpy and tired.

I could tell the woman wasn't a drum corp fan- she was just there to see out of town friends who came for the show. Her friends should have explained to her appropriate conduct before the show started. They should have just met for lunch rather than meeting up at the show.

I'm also sick of people sitting in the stands bashing various corps throughout the show. Some guy talked smack about both Cadets and Crown past shows for their use of narration to random people sitting near him and some old lady behind me went on and on about the Boston Crusaders sinful guard unis. Blah, blah, blah. If you've got to do it whisper to your neighbor. The people seated three rows behind you don't need to hear it.

Edited by anniem

It's happened for a good long while. It does seem that things have gotten worse recently ( within the past 5 years).

It's best to try and not let it bother you as you can't really do much about it.

Tonight was especially frustrating as there was a group (from a high school band) sitting behind me and they just would not stop talking. We even asked some of their parent chaperones to ask them to stop and they did not.

Freakin bandos

there were some d-bags sitting in the row in front of me tonight who I went to high school with. They aren't music people; I have no clue what they were doing at the show. They basically sat there and mocked drum corps for 3 hours. The joke was on them though since............oh yeah every other person in that stadium was there to watch and could care less what these idiots had to say :D

In Beverly the show sponsors did not stop people from coming in and out of the stands during performances. It was very rude of people to be looking for their seats and walking around in the stands during a performance. Just because the first half of the show were open class corps does not mean that they deserve any less respect than the world class corps in the second half of the show.

You do realize you're preaching to the choir here, right? :thumbup:

Cell phones have made things a bit more annoying, but show etiquette issues have probably been a problem for as long as there have been shows.

1. Children at shows - Most of us who bring a young child to a show are willing to bail on the show if the child is unable to sit through it. My daughter sat through all of Houston last year and sat through all of Rio Rancho this year. She's 5 1/2. But if she was the kind of child who can't handle "concert" style expectations, I wouldn't take her. I wish more people would think to bring distractions for their kids rather than expect them to be totally enthralled with the show. I always bring a few little quiet surprises for my daughter because "3 hours of drum corps" does not trump "new coloring book." :thumbup:

2. Cell phones - I seriously wish it was legal to grab the things and smash them when someone decides to take a call during a show and not leave the stands. I love the story about the first-time viewer turning around to the drywall conversation guy and saying "Seriously?!" Great job, lady! She deserves free tickets next year!

3. Noisy student groups - some of us have a thing called "the look." You teachers out there know what I mean. Use it judiciously and you can quiet about 10 kids at once at a show. Remember also to utilize the ushers to your advantage. If there is a group that is continuously disruptive during shows, tell someone with the show - preferably a burly usher with a serious drum corps look. They SHOULD be willing to come over and quickly say "the show coordinator will ask you to leave if you keep this up. Please be quiet during shows."