Anyone else with shoulder problems?

Ever since I aged out, I've had issues with my neck and upper back, especially in the trapezius area. There have been several times when I've been working out my shoulders or lifting heavy things and I've strained the muscles and haven't been able to turn my neck for a couple days. That sound like what you're experiencing?

My pain/discomfort is just around the rotator cuff area and doc found I have a bone spur rubbing against the cuff. That's to add to my arthritic big toes and popping knee. :thumbup: To add to the mix my wife has deltoid problems that has been traced to muscle spasms. That kind of sounds like your problem except it gives her problems without doing anything heavy. She started Botox treatments in the neck/shoulder area to "calm down" the spasms. Irony is Botox was first used for this type of procedure and the cosmetic people copied it to (temporary) get rid of wrinkles. If nothing else we're getting an education in medicine as we both ask a lot of questions. And this Fall looks like my wife gets her knee replacement redone. (Long story but she messed up her leg really bad as a kid.)

And to go with Scerpella, the mugged up toes are probably related to years of MB and DC practice on blacktop....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what I had on my left shoulder in April of 2002. It's been over seven years and my shoulder seems just as stable now as it was seven years ago. And I don't have the fear of it dislocating as I still have for my right shoulder and my left shoulder was the more injured of the two.

Thanks so much for the recommendation, but HELL no!!! I started watching that, lasted about 5 seconds and almost passed out. That thing looks like a torture device. I'm sure it truly helps with expanding range of motion, but I'll stick with the non faint-inducing door frame stretches thank you very much.

I seriously had to lay on the floor just now to take deep breaths and NOT focus on the picture of that device. My cat starting pawing me and was like, "What the hell are you doing on the floor under your computer desk?" I really have to go have some orange juice or something.

lol. Actually I sold that device for 5 years and its based on the principle of small stretches. SPS - Static Progressive Stretch. In other words you just put a very mild stretch on your shoulder ( 2 or 3 on a 1-10 scale) and it holds it there for 5 minutes then you apply another mild stretch and so on. It looks like an Iron Maiden I realize but its actually quite lightweight and the whole idea is to isolate the muscle its trying to stretch. This is the same technique used by a therapist, a device like this allows one to continue the therapy at home. THis is the most effective and permanent mode of restoring ROM.

Okay forgive me I veered back into salesman mode there for a moment.

If your shoulder was dislocating, analgesics are just a temporary fix. Chronic dislocation indicates a lax capsule which at some point has to be tightened up becuase every time the humeral head comes out of its socket its damaged and sooner or later it will become a much bigger problem.

It was subluxation - happened 3 or 4 times, never a dislocation. An MRI or CT (can't remember which one it was now...) showed no Bankert's lesions. I had some PT when I got home and it was like it never happened.

Edited by euphononium

• 2 months later...

Wow, guys...I am glad I took a look here on DCP. I don't read it anymore, nor do I follow drum corps anymore, but I figured that maybe I should do a search on 'rotator cuff', and I found this thread.

I started having shoulder problems this past winter, and went to the same surgeon that re-attached the tendon in my left wrist (thanks Kevlar heads!) in 2006. I switched to baritone in 1991, when I started to have wrist problems from playing snare. I never would have guessed that playing a baritone would cause so much damage to my right shoulder.

The Dr. suggested PT first, which didn't work, then a minor procedure to clean up the calcium deposits that were found. That was the middle of May, and I was able to march in the Memorial Day parades with no problem.

The pain came back in June, and in some different spots, and in the form of a painful cramp. I guess that is a telltale sign of a rotator cuff injury. I went to the Dr. last week (it took from mid-July to get an appointment..this guy is good), and I will be having rotator cuff surgery in early November. Everybody is saying this will take months to recover.

Thanks for the info, and I also thank drum corps for messing me up even more!

I think this will probably be the end of my drum corps career as well :(

you guys are old

Hey you're as only as old as you feel Donny....

thinking about it.....

Oh ####!!!!

:laughing: