20th Anniversary of "The Frack"

does anyone know the guy?? I wonder if he is a member of DCP??? LOL I know it sucked to be him that night but oh well, it happens to the best of us. I've fracked quite a bit, just fortunately not in public.

I asked John Meehan in 05 if he ever still talks to the guy and he told me that he does not associate himself with the Blue Devils or drum corps anymore. But who knows?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he is on here or not. I believe one of the soloists from '93 has posted here a few times, and to be honest, I worshiped those guys. Talk about bad ###!! Lol

Let it be known that i'm as drunk as a skunk right now. Surprised I can even type this. Lol :tongue:

Ok I should say that the solo didn't taint the show. The horrible music selection coupled along with the horrible drill tainted it for me. Happy jazz just sounds like high school band music. And that show is full of happy jazz.

This is why DCP is so interesting. We sometimes find posters in which our opinion could not be any more different than their opinion.

I loved the Blue Devils '89 jazz musical offering and in particular their interpretation of the arrangement. This was a sophisticated offering and it was very well played, particularly the opener that had a richness of sound, coupled with good balance among the lower and upper registers. The Drill was simple, but was in line with the drill of it's day that used to offer music first, drill 2nd as oppposed to today where the visual is written first oftentimes and then the notes written to that visual.

As for the fracked solo, I felt for this guy. He had pretty much nailed it all year, but hey sometimes these things happen. Some of the best pitchers in baseball sometimes have a dead arm or uncharacteristically poor location and they simply can't get out of the first or 2nd inning without giving up walks and several runs and before the pitching coach has to go out and relieve him. It happens a few times to ALL the great pitchers. They just hope they don't have it in a playoff or World Series Game that's all. But I can listen to '89 Blue Devils jazz offering that year, even with that unfortunate fracked solo, and be one happy and satisfied listener.... even today.

Edited by BRASSO

I remember hearing that frack for the first time a few years ago when I first discovered drum corps. He must have had a bad night, because there were many missed notes in all of his solos. Very good soprano, but just a bad night for him. I do feel bad for him though. I'm also quite drunk. :tongue:

I'm also quite drunk. :thumbdown:

You and me both brother. Thank goodness for my blackberry's spell-assist. Haha otherwise, this would make no sense whatsoever.

But I digress... :huh:

This is why DCP is so interesting. We sometimes find posters in which our opinion could not be any more different than their opinion.

I loved the Blue Devils '89 jazz musical offering and in particular their interpretation of the arrangement. This was a sophisticated offering and it was very well played, particularly the opener that had a richness of sound, coupled with good balance among the lower and upper registers. The Drill was simple, but was in line with the drill of it's day that used to offer music first, drill 2nd as oppposed to today where the visual is written first oftentimes and then the notes written to that visual.

As for the fracked solo, I felt for this guy. He had pretty much nailed it all year, but hey sometimes these things happen. Some of the best pitchers in baseball sometimes have a dead arm or uncharacteristically poor location and they simply can't get out of the first or 2nd inning without giving up walks and several runs and before the pitching coach has to go out and relieve him. It happens a few times to ALL the great pitchers. They just hope they don't have it in a playoff or World Series Game that's all. But I can listen to '89 Blue Devils jazz offering that year, even with that unfortunate fracked solo, and be one happy and satisfied listener.... even today.

Well lets agree to disagree. I feel that for the time the Blue Devils were light years behind the Cadets and Vanguard in drill design. As for the music. Sophisticated yes, but very very very very dirty. The ensemble is out of tune and has balance problems all throughout the show. I just think that somewhere around 94,95 their creative team and writers sat down and decided to take the corps in another direction. That is why they were the corps of the 90's. Not the 80's. But then again I love the new school and am usually against all the older DCP guys wanting to bring down the activity just so that it will be like the good old days. Oh and the last few comments were more general and pointed at no one in particular.

I asked John Meehan in 05 if he ever still talks to the guy and he told me that he does not associate himself with the Blue Devils or drum corps anymore. But who knows?

I approached him for the 07 alum corps, but he declined. He's in law practice with his mother. I've never known him to post here or on the BD board.

Ok I should say that the solo didn't taint the show. The horrible music selection coupled along with the horrible drill tainted it for me. Happy jazz just sounds like high school band music. And that show is full of happy jazz.

Yeah, find me a high school band that can play "happy jazz" like BD and we'll talk... I don't know may high schools that play Johnny One-Note and Buddy Rich's Ya Gotta Try, and Bolling's Toot Suite. Ever heard the whole thing, Maurice Andre version? It might change your mind on "happy jazz". :thumbdown:

89 BD was a great corps and the hornline was in many ways more talented than 88. The show was very challenging and they played and looked great. The drill left some things to be desired,yes, but there were some beautiful moments. Just happened to be 3 great corps ahead of them that year...

Edited by trumpetcam

I approached him for the 07 alum corps, but he declined. He's in law practice with his mother. I've never known him to post here or on the BD board.

That's a shame. I would hope that he wouldn't allow that to define his experience in drum corps. It's just a shame that it happened at all. Poor guy. I can only imagine how I'd feel. Being a soloist in '94, if that experience had gone awry, I can't even relate to how I might have reacted.

Yeah, find me a high school band that can play "happy jazz" like BD and we'll talk... I don't know may high schools that play Johnny One-Note and Buddy Rich's Ya Gotta Try, and Bolling's Toot Suite. Ever heard the whole thing, Maurice Andre version? It might change your mind on "happy jazz". :thumbdown:

89 BD was a great corps and the hornline was in many ways more talented than 88. The show was very challenging and they played and looked great. The drill left some things to be desired,yes, but there were some beautiful moments. Just happened to be 3 great corps ahead of them that year...

Wow flight of the bumblebee is really hard too yet no one plays it .... cause no corps can play it clean. Oh and I just meant that it sounded a little hokey. Happy jazz sounds vanilla and white. I get so tired of listening to those groups that try that stuff. I have heard many bands try to pull of similar musical ideas and I have never heard a band or corps sound good doing it. I just mean If you want happy and gay go watch Will and Grace. For the rest of us play some evil, dirty, 3 am jazz.