Thoughts ( A Review ) on the Grand Prix

The weather for the show was very hard on horn players, " Thick as a Brick " would be my humble opinion. A nasty squall line should have hit Wayne, NJ at about 815 PM, but the Bermuda Blocker kept the front at bay until much later and the entire contest and exhibitions were completed. Several usually on the spot soprano screamers were having a hard time, and the smaller hornlines were hung out there , not to mention stamina issues from hard breathing.

The new venue is great, although getting out is a little more difficult after the show. IMHO this is one of the friendliest, sophisticated drum corps audiences, they appreciate EVERYONE's effort and they get on their feet to let them know how they feel. The highly professional MC, he of the Hawaiian Tropics wardrobe - Fran Haring - makes it a well run event and his banter/humor/interaction with the crowd sets the mood for the evening - and it is a good one indeed :thumbdown:

Small world isn't it ( #1 ) The Skyliners alumni chorus did a perfect interpretation of the National Anthem at exactly the advertised start time! The chorus was conducted by the legendary Tom " Bucky " Swan, who I owe my minimal formal music training to over forty years ago ( Little Falls Cadets ) . In spite of the MC's comments that Bucky has been involved with drum corps for over 100 years, I tend to agree eith LFC alumni who feel that Tom has found the fountain of youth!

First up was " Park City Pride " , and they should be proud. My official 2009 earworm is the contra bass parts from " One of those songs ". Great balance in horns, a phenomenal drum line, and enough drill to make it a balanced show. Good guard work, not to mention the " Sex Cymbals " ( had to do it ). Park City seems to be better each year - keep it going PRIDE :huh:

Skyliners Alumni were up next, it's woth the price of admission ( IMHO ) to hear the street beat when entering. The non-kevlar snare heads are such a pleasure to hear, hornline lets it rip with the big " Skyliner Wall of Sound ", and ends with a close-up arch and an in your face rendition of " Elks Parade ". My drum corps year is not complete without hearing Sky :huh:

Back on the field after a year off were the Sunrisers ( in exhibition only ) - full size guard, fair size drumline, they need some horns. Very hard book for a small corps, the weather was very hard on the sound, hopefully they will continue their resurgance. The aforementioned great crowd appreciated their efforts, and let them know it.

First up in compettion were " The Bushwackers " A very difficult horn book ( remember the dirty air ), small hornline with some taking sideline time, good drums and a great colorguard! Enjoyed the show, hope Bush can make one of their late runs!

Then the wind blew in prematurely ( from Connecticut- not the stormfront ) - or maybe it was a stormfront! Hurcs are back in a BIG WAY. Great guard, great drums and great horns ( what else is there ) - oh - a very Reading like show style. Music you can relate to , sophisticated drill and WELL PERFORMED. Some stamina issues towards end of show, but could end up Top 3 :huh:

Then the you're gonna have to take it from us brigade from Reading took the field with an attitude! Great show ( IMHO best of last few years ). History of Drum Corps best quad drum feature ever, lush full sounding hornline ( Bucs even have upper register players this year ) , best guard in years. IMHO this year's edition will be very hard to beat ( literally ) :huh:

Last in competition were the host Caballeros - IMHO Cabs should have been closer to Hurcs and further from Bush. Where I was sitting I could see an animated exchange between a judge and a Cab official, I already knew there was a penalty involved, DCA officials had a hard time calming said judge. All this notwithstanding, I really think this is my favorite Cabs show in many years, really accessible music book, excellent balance in horns ( great upper register sops ) ,formidable guard with superb costumes, and a drumline that can only get better and score higher with time. :thumbup:

Small world isn't it ( #2) Before the Running of the Bulls, a presentation was made to mark the anniversary of Mike DelVecchio. For years I had wondered about the name, as for over twenty years as a railroad photograper I had known Mike DelVecchio? Well I did, it was Mike Jr. walking out with roses for his mom, the question had been answered. Mike Jr's former boss had labeled me a " musical terrorist " for using a drum corps recording ( BSGK " In the Still of the Night") in a multimedia slide presentation. :doh:

The evening was capped off by the Cabs Alumni, and what a way to end the show portion! The hornline ( IMHO ) has the sound, balance and power ( with magnificent intonation ) of a perfectly tuned Wurlitzer organ! As stated previously _ I LOVE the timbre and voices of the drumine ( Kevlar be ###### ) . A great show ( Perfidia is #2 earworm ) , sufficient drill and staging - and the one and only Jim Russo hamming it up with the crowd. I would feel I got my money's worth if this was the only corps I saw all night. Please do not ever stop playing Cha Cha Flamenco :worthy:

I cheated and left before the scores ( in laws are in their 80's - knew weather was on the way ). Thank You all for putting smiles on our faces, a well run contest , and a great place to have it ( Passaic County Tech ) :thumbup:

It's great to not have to wait for mike-checks , synth balancing and etc, and the trooping of the stands is a far better and personal way for the crowd to see the performers, and show their appreciation. The personal interaction of the DM's with audience IMHO is far better than the robotic Dr Beat style ofter seen ( I thought the artistics hated the military influence ).

Many in the crowd were upset that the American Flag sections for some corps did not have Ol Glory at the highest level. and a few did so perfectly. IMHO if you are going to march an honor guard with military bearing, do some research on proper flag etiquitte. IMHO the fans in the stands love these flag sections and honor guards.

my personal best and thanks to all :thumbup: ( especially combined Cabs and Cabs Alumni ) for the " WALL of SOUND" !

and to all the performers and volunteers who made this wonderful evening possible!

frankiE

Edited by fecontra

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a lack of reviews 'cause folks just don't know what to say (or don't want to say it). Unforturnately, I will only be able to see Scranton again this year, however here are my thoughts.....Buc's were ranked first (ranked being the "key" word) in every single caption/subcaption at the Grand Prix, except for guard (Reading's guard must be juggling bowling balls and spinning rebar), against by all accounts a strong Hurricane corps. Again, not having been there, all one can say is this: The season just got a whole lot less interesting....

Edited by VOReason

Personally, if the best performed show wins, I am happy. If it happens to be the Bucs 5th title in a row (wow... that is a lot), then so be it. I am just enjoying the fact that the DCA shows are raising the bar in quality it seems every year!

The Buccaneers are winning because they are, so far, the best corps at these shows. I would not want the judges to allow them to be beaten just to make things interesting. Here's to hoping the Hurcs can clean things up or that MBI can shock the DCA nation in Scranton!

Personally, if the best performed show wins, I am happy. If it happens to be the Bucs 5th title in a row (wow... that is a lot), then so be it. I am just enjoying the fact that the DCA shows are raising the bar in quality it seems every year!

The Buccaneers are winning because they are, so far, the best corps at these shows. I would not want the judges to allow them to be beaten just to make things interesting. Here's to hoping the Hurcs can clean things up or that MBI can shock the DCA nation in Scranton!

Great review. Awesome show-thanks to the performers and Cabs!!!!

About the new stadium-parking better, bathroom situation a bit lacking.

Probably a lack of reviews 'cause folks just don't know what to say (or don't want to say it). Unforturnately, I will only be able to see Scranton again this year, however here are my thoughts.....Buc's were ranked first (ranked being the "key" word) in every single caption/subcaption at the Grand Prix, except for guard (Reading's guard must be juggling bowling balls and spinning rebar), against by all accounts a strong Hurricane corps. Again, not having been there, all one can say is this: The season just got a whole lot less interesting....

Well. Whaddaya know... I agree with VOReason on something: Right now it's about "ranking." Trying to match up scores from 3 different shows with three different panels is unfair to the teams and unfair to the judges. Let's wait til everyone is in the same place at the same time before we decide on just how "interesting" this season will be.

Well. Whaddaya know... I agree with VOReason on something: Right now it's about "ranking." Trying to match up scores from 3 different shows with three different panels is unfair to the teams and unfair to the judges. Let's wait til everyone is in the same place at the same time before we decide on just how "interesting" this season will be.

Can you say Scranton :thumbdown:

what and take 90% of the speculation, fun and irritation from DCP?

:thumbdown:

Last in competition were the host Caballeros - IMHO Cabs should have been closer to Hurcs and further from Bush. Where I was sitting I could see an animated exchange between a judge and a Cab official, I already knew there was a penalty involved, DCA officials had a hard time calming said judge. All this notwithstanding, I really think this is my favorite Cabs show in many years, really accessible music book, excellent balance in horns ( great upper register sops ) ,formidable guard with superb costumes, and a drumline that can only get better and score higher with time. :laughing:

frankiE

Not one to post a review, but I was there also & not one to follow along with the usual hype others tend to play to..

I don't really care if you agree or not, but this is what I left with. (more of a guard person)

IMHO (and a Bush alumni) I thought Bush should have been farther from Cabs & Hurcs closer to Cabs. It is going to take an awful lot for Bush to be able to play with the big boys this year. When are those props & tents being added?

I'm tired of hearing that this corp is small and needs more horns players... Back when Bush was at the Top they were not pulling numbers of 40-50-60 players. Bigger is not better (if you can play) Guard has the numbers and fairly clean for July. Hope the rest of the show can move along at the same pace.

Cabs had some great moments that impressed, (& I'm not so much a Cabs fan) but for me couldn't keep that feeling thoughout the show. I really wish this corp could learn that LOUDER is not always better and can try to balance the sound a little more. "Time to say goodbye" could be such a beautiful moment if it had more emotion and feeling put into it. Still, I left feeling they played better than Hurcs. Loved the guard uni's this year. Interesting and very tasteful & classics looking. I didnt notice the detail of the stencil/embroidery on them until they trooped the stands though. Some nice moments, but everytime a flag was picked up it just made me look away. I hope they are practice sets for now. Really didnt think the color schemes and/or designs fit the look/feeling of the program & colorguard.

Hurcs, feel they get too much hype for what they are worth. Guard.. From reading all the "talk" I expected something better. Thought they were "over-hyped" last year and once again sorry to say this year as well. I guess if you like ripples and sparkle tape this is the group for you. Not for me. I thought they stopped selling that tape in the 80's. Staging?? & facings?? especially the weapon line. Hornline better than in the past. Drumline always brings their game. I was sitting on the 40 and the show appeared very congested in the center....more than usual. They play better so use the field and open it up & use the field. Again, spread the corp out and give the guard room to breath. Nothing real memorable about this show for me.

Bucs.... Been to rehearsals and watching the progress so there are things I seen improved over the past few weeks.

Hornline sound is IMHO just more crisp when hearing them next to the others lested above. Thought they started to lose some steam at the end. Need to save some of that from the beginning and bring it in the end. I'm not a drummer, but this show makes me notice them. Addition of the base drums to the beginnning was cool, would be better if it could be worked in later somewhere also? Guard.... waiting for everyone else to notice the "meat" of their program & overall equip. book..... especially in this year's program. Work on the transitions & cleaning the impacts will go far. Like the additions of the black shruggs at the top of the show. Adds to the darkness of "demons"

Can't wait to see how these Four will line up with the additions at the Scranton show. (Empire, Minn Brass)

Keep wokring everyone.. It is still only JULY!

Tom