Thoughts ( A Review ) on the Grand Prix

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great night in New Jersey. New Venue smaller but very fan friendly. It was great to see a full house I wondered if that would happen.

Sun: I was excited to see how they had rebuilt and sorry they had to be in exhibition, because I like to play the score game. They weren't ready for prime time yet, but had over 35 and a very aggressive show. The guard brought a smile to my face, they have the look and character of the old Sun. Horns will have to work, drums will be fine. They did about 1/2 a show, Their concept is interesting and well thought out. Now they need a few more horns and finish up/

First time I have seen Bush, wow a neat show. Guard was not the over powering guard it had once been but they carry more than their share in this program. Another interesting and different idea from the Bushwackers. Horns ran into trouble by the end of their show, its alot for the small line to try and keep it going for the 10 minutes. Percussion is adequate and held their own very nicely. The show will improve but 20+ can't carry a book like this.

Bucs: They are what is advertized. Strong horn line one of the best DCA sounds ever. Percussion feature really rocked the crowd. The show design is really a good one, the first 3/4 of their show really flowed. Now if I may say so the last 1/4 of the show had me feeling like I had seen it all before, a bit repetitious. Guard has improved from last year and have some strong features, they can improve once they have their timing better together. Everone is going to have to step up their game to catch the Bucs once again.

Hurc seemed to be out to prove themselves and I think they did. Strong horn line and a good guard. A major disaster at the start, their famous "A Flag section" enterd out of step a few skip steps fixed that. The corps over came this :). Their show concept is really neat. I loved the way they pieced in western themes. The horn line and guard gets alot of kudos, but I think the big difference this year is their drum line, much stronger than other years. The "Can Can" drum idea was super. Hurce are in the game for the long run this year, they can be stronger. Their show has what it needs.

They just need to bring it for all ten minutes.

Last on, the home town Cabs. The Cabs show may have more variety than all the others, There seems to be something for every one. The horn line had its momemts but doesn't keep up the level it needs to, maybe a little imature. I have no idea why the percussion section fall behind the others, their drum feature was the highlight of the night for some people, wow the aggressive style the Cabs have been know for. The guard is big and a very important part of the show. If the guard keeps working their score should move up, this guard gets little credit but should be listed in the elite. The Cabs present a seamless presentation.

The Cabs alumni took over, They had the crowd in ther hands. A nice variety of latin tunes from the past. It is a fun show for all and very well done, They are all ready fRochester. I have seen the combine corps before, I have seen the Competitive Corps stand on the side lines for the alumni before. For some reason tonight it really rouched me. You don't need to be a Cab fan to see the history on the feel and the respect for the activity from fellow members. I am not explaning my feelings right, but all Drum Corps people not just Cab fans have to be toiuch by the respect these two Corps pay each other.

I agreed with the placings but don't see those spreads at all. Anyone who reads a breakdown can problably figure out next weeks score and I don't believe anyone is that much superior in any caption.

Why did the Cabs get a penalty?

:laughing:

Crossing the pit box...1 point.. Won't happen again..

Another great night in New Jersey. New Venue smaller but very fan friendly. It was great to see a full house I wondered if that would happen.

Sun: I was excited to see how they had rebuilt and sorry they had to be in exhibition, because I like to play the score game. They weren't ready for prime time yet, but had over 35 and a very aggressive show. The guard brought a smile to my face, they have the look and character of the old Sun. Horns will have to work, drums will be fine. They did about 1/2 a show, Their concept is interesting and well thought out. Now they need a few more horns and finish up/

First time I have seen Bush, wow a neat show. Guard was not the over powering guard it had once been but they carry more than their share in this program. Another interesting and different idea from the Bushwackers. Horns ran into trouble by the end of their show, its alot for the small line to try and keep it going for the 10 minutes. Percussion is adequate and held their own very nicely. The show will improve but 20+ can't carry a book like this.

Bucs: They are what is advertized. Strong horn line one of the best DCA sounds ever. Percussion feature really rocked the crowd. The show design is really a good one, the first 3/4 of their show really flowed. Now if I may say so the last 1/4 of the show had me feeling like I had seen it all before, a bit repetitious. Guard has improved from last year and have some strong features, they can improve once they have their timing better together. Everone is going to have to step up their game to catch the Bucs once again.

Hurc seemed to be out to prove themselves and I think they did. Strong horn line and a good guard. A major disaster at the start, their famous "A Flag section" enterd out of step a few skip steps fixed that. The corps over came this :). Their show concept is really neat. I loved the way they pieced in western themes. The horn line and guard gets alot of kudos, but I think the big difference this year is their drum line, much stronger than other years. The "Can Can" drum idea was super. Hurce are in the game for the long run this year, they can be stronger. Their show has what it needs.

They just need to bring it for all ten minutes.

Last on, the home town Cabs. The Cabs show may have more variety than all the others, There seems to be something for every one. The horn line had its momemts but doesn't keep up the level it needs to, maybe a little imature. I have no idea why the percussion section fall behind the others, their drum feature was the highlight of the night for some people, wow the aggressive style the Cabs have been know for. The guard is big and a very important part of the show. If the guard keeps working their score should move up, this guard gets little credit but should be listed in the elite. The Cabs present a seamless presentation.

The Cabs alumni took over, They had the crowd in ther hands. A nice variety of latin tunes from the past. It is a fun show for all and very well done, They are all ready fRochester. I have seen the combine corps before, I have seen the Competitive Corps stand on the side lines for the alumni before. For some reason tonight it really rouched me. You don't need to be a Cab fan to see the history on the feel and the respect for the activity from fellow members. I am not explaning my feelings right, but all Drum Corps people not just Cab fans have to be toiuch by the respect these two Corps pay each other.

I agreed with the placings but don't see those spreads at all. Anyone who reads a breakdown can problably figure out next weeks score and I don't believe anyone is that much superior in any caption.

I have to back and check - but I really enjoyed your review and I seem to remember enjoying a previous one. Either way, you have a sharp concise way of giving us an idea of each cors hi and lo points without demeaning any aspect of any performer. Thanks. i wish I could have been there, but I'm only allowed one trip to NJ per weekend and Bayonne on Sunday was it. I feel as if I got the idea from reading this.

The Buccaneers are winning because they are, so far, the best corps at these shows. I would not want the judges to allow them to be beaten just to make things interesting.

Oh man... don't even go there... not again...

The best corps will win the DCA championship.

If the right corps doesn't win, there is no reason for any of this...

I enjoyed both these reviews.

First time in many years I've been a spectator for an entire show.

My main impressions:

1. Very dissapointed with Hurcs-esp. horns. As has been said before, they don't live up to the hype IMHO

2. This years Bucs are perhaps the best senior (all-age) corps I have ever seen. They did run out of gas in the closer as mentioned, however.

3. Cabs show overall is better than Hurcs at this point by 1.5-2.0 IMHO. I believe also that Bucs are being low-balled (believe it or not) by 1-2 points.

Just my humble.......

First time in many years I've been a spectator for an entire show.

My main impressions:

1. Very dissapointed with Hurcs-esp. horns. As has been said before, they don't live up to the hype IMHO

2. This years Bucs are perhaps the best senior (all-age) corps I have ever seen. They did run out of gas in the closer as mentioned, however.

3. Cabs show overall is better than Hurcs at this point by 1.5-2.0 IMHO. I believe also that Bucs are being low-balled (believe it or not) by 1-2 points.

Just my humble.......

Wow! That's laying it out there!!!

Good review! Let's see how it sorts out.

Makes me want to go see these corps

So they will still be in competition later this summer, then?