What am I missing?

Glassmen, hello?

And I really liked that show (as well as Pee Wee's Playhouse :thumbdown: )

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, besides cavies, is there anything you actually like about this season? The two things I've seen from you are blame George for Synths, and BD's show is boring.

You are missing the complete love fest that DCI and the judges have for BD. They are the equivalent of the LA Lakers, USC, Dallas Cowboys, and New York Yankees of DCI. They are the "darlings" and have so many followers and fans all over the country because they win it all just about every year. Like it or no success breads success whether real or imagined.

I very rarely have found their shows entertaining post 1995 with just a few notable exceptions. Now, they do a helluva job and the performers and talent are just amazing, but the shows just don't do anything for me personally. I admire what they've achieved, but I can take them or leave them most years.

Look at last year for an example. Here you have a show in PR's Spartacus that was probably the most impactful and emotional shows in the last 15 to 20 years and they just barely beat out a very boring BD show for the championship. It's almost as if it's theirs to lose every year instead of theirs to earn. I don't have a problem with the kids, I have a problem with the mentality that I think many in the activity have with regards to BD. I mean, when was the last time SCV or any one else even to them in an early year, west coast show? It's a joke.

Least biased post ever. I liked BD's show better. :thumbdown:

But then again I have horrible taste. Absolutely terrible.

Edited by Horizon

Look at last year for an example. Here you have a show in PR's Spartacus that was probably the most impactful and emotional shows in the last 15 to 20 years and they just barely beat out a very boring BD show for the championship. It's almost as if it's theirs to lose every year instead of theirs to earn.

Yeah, the judges showed so much love for BD that night by "only" letting Phantom beat them by .025. Phantom should've won by at least 32,000.

Hillarious post. :thumbdown:

Look at last year for an example. Here you have a show in PR's Spartacus that was probably the most impactful and emotional shows in the last 15 to 20 years and they just barely beat out a very boring BD show for the championship. It's almost as if it's theirs to lose every year instead of theirs to earn. I don't have a problem with the kids, I have a problem with the mentality that I think many in the activity have with regards to BD. I mean, when was the last time SCV or any one else even to them in an early year, west coast show? It's a joke.

Look, I agree that BD doesn't do it for me from a total package standpoint, but they're still a #### good corps. And unfortunately, what you and the OP are missing is that you do not have your own personal score box on any of the judges' sheets.

When the "Phantom1701 Enjoyment Factor" is voted in as a caption (most likely by the Evil King George) then you'll have some room to gripe when a particular corps places higher than expected. Until then, watch and cheer and throw babies at the corps that do it for you.

Well, it just goes to show how two people can view the same thing and come away with two different opinions.

I felt the Blue Devils had the best all-around show. It took me through multiple musical moods, tempos, and dynamics, not to mention how they controlled my attention visually as well. I see this as a clear step up while not having to be a clear step away from what they have been doing. They are, in my mind, doing a very effective job of bridging multiple generations of DCI fans who have their own opinions of what a show is "supposed" to look and sound like.

I really like SCV's as well but the first half doesn't carry me the same way the second half of their show does. In my opinion, The Cavaliers have their least engaging music since The Firebird in 1997; great percussion that I could easily understand winning it on Finals night, but based solely on what I have seen to date, I don't see it being the winner. I also like Holy Name's show, but someone else used an anaolgy of it being like cramming too much luggage into one suitcase, and I agree with that description, and it's preventing me from LOVING it. I also really like Crown's show and see it as s true championship contender, but I see their Colorguard and Percussion as a clear notch below Blue Devils. Basically, based purely on what I have seen/heard up to this point, I completely disagree with your assessment.

I don't get it. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that BD is the master at designing to the sheets and then achieving 100% of their design. Hey, their show isn't entirely to my taste either, but the FN video of DATR made me think that it's likely to be this year's champion.

I think people have a lot more fun watching drum corps when they let go of the need to see their favorite team win. It seems like the Cavies really swashed your buckle, so go nuts for them! Does it really matter where they finish if their show rocks?