Holy Crap

This is one of the great things about the activity, the evolution of a season. I, myself, did not think much of the Cavaliers show when I saw them in Toledo. I still do not like their music book, but as I said in my review of their show, I knew they would tweak and clean and add layers and turn this show into a good one. They certainly have the know how. I am not sure the show is top 3. I know they are scoring high now, but I have this feeling that Crown and Cadets are just behind BD, and Crown might be in front.

This is the great thing, none of us really knows. BY the way, having watched the Cavaliers a good bit more on the FN I do find some great moments in their show. As always, the visual is wonderful.

I am loving SCV and think they will be one of the dark horses in the end. And I still think Crown and HNC could be 1 and 2 come finals, only I still give the nod to HNC. They are flat out amazing and just need to clean that show.

As for scores in different locations, if we went by spreads, then I think the Cadets score from last night would be comparable to the Cavaliers score. I believe Cavaliers beat Phantom by 2.7 or around 3.0 points the last time they met. The Cadets beat Phantom last night by 3.2. Not scientific, but it may be an indication.

Here's hoping the Bluecoats clean the visual and add a few layers to get that show moving. They have a great brass and percussion section!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluecoats aren't running a Championship level show at all this year. It needs more... umph. Of course mainly they should be cleaning stuff up. Really. I love them, I love their music, I love their jazzy influences, but I want to see some results. I'm really liking Blue Devils and Cavaliers right now too. They are running things very well. Cavaliers' music just doesn't do it for me though. I'm not loving Holy Name right now and while I like Crown's show I think their uniforms are terrible. My prediction is Blue Devils or Crown taking the title but we'll see. I don't think Cavaliers can keep the momentum they've got going.

To me a good way to look at it is last night, HNC got a 85.55 in FL, and Bluecoats received a 84.95 in KS. Having watched both corps on the FN several times at shows on close to the same dates (late last week/last weekend), I think that spread would be much larger if they were competing at the same show.

I agree with others that SA will give us the true 'normalized' picture, and the alignment that will drive the remainder of the sesaon.

This is not meant as an anti Bluecoats statement, I like their show, just feel that there is definitely more than a .60 spread there in the eyes on any judge.

Bluecoats aren't running a Championship level show at all this year. It needs more... umph. Of course mainly they should be cleaning stuff up. Really. I love them, I love their music, I love their jazzy influences, but I want to see some results. I'm really liking Blue Devils and Cavaliers right now too. They are running things very well. Cavaliers' music just doesn't do it for me though. I'm not loving Holy Name right now and while I like Crown's show I think their uniforms are terrible. My prediction is Blue Devils or Crown taking the title but we'll see. I don't think Cavaliers can keep the momentum they've got going.

Think that will keep them out of the medals?

Think that will keep them out of the medals?

Note that a few words later I said it would be Crown or BD going for the title. I have a deep respect for Crown. I just hate their uniforms. I've seen weirder things happen though so i won't say they WILL medal but I'm confident in a top 5 performance. Not quite as confident but I'd make a bet on them medalling.

I'm sure you have reasons for your beliefs, although some of your logic is a bit too complicated for me, but one thing I think you're wrong about - a corps like Cavies rarely "loses momentum" between July 15th and finals. That's a train you don't ever want to stand in front of hoping it runs out of steam. Same goes for HNC, BD, SCV, Phantom, hell - pretty much any of these top corps. Historically, Coats' show has limited them at times at the end of the year, when they really have the performance thing going on, but out of the group of corps discussed here today, there isn't a "fader" in the bunch.

Anyone waiting for one of these tops corps to run out of steam may be waiting a looooong time.

I'll be interested to see how your predictions pan out - maybe I'll even get to understand them.

Current marchers listening to DCP would be the worst thing possible.
AMEN !!

That's just because they have not laundered them since putting them away last season. The mold is growing on them still...from seeing the recent videos.....come on guys...do some laundry there in SC.

Bluecoats aren't running a Championship level show at all this year. It needs more... umph.

Musically I like what Bluecoats are doing but I'm not getting the concept behind the musical choices or why they're supposed to relate to each other either thematically or musically. I don't find Crown's musical choices particularly inspiring, but I DO understand how they're working together with the concept, which is one reason why they're doing better this year than in years past.

The trick with the concept thing seems to be finding something specific enough and understandable enough that it can be physically embodied, but not so defined as to require hard and fast literal figures. Something like "Machine" or "1930" can work because the concept sets parameters that are still somewhat amorphous. We know what machines are, we know something about that era, but in both cases, there's a lot of latitude in terms of programming choices. "Imagine" is a little harder to nail down; the Magritte references, if anything, lead down the wrong path, since he's not "imagining" things the way Lennon's talking about; he's SUBVERTING things, which is a totally different concept. That being the case, the show itself seems a little confuzzled about what it's trying to say.

I think a show that was inspired by Magritte references could be totally cool, but a better title would be "This is Not a Drum Corps Show". :tongue:

Edited by mobrien