If You Could Go Back

1967 Nationals in New Orleans with The Anaheim Kingsmen. I got drafted into The Army about a week before the corps left for their first Eastern Tour and I never got to finish out my last year in junior corps.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Time Machine":

First Choice: 1961 St Catherine of Sienna Queensmen. Genero/Hayes "Book" with Bill Hightowers INCREDIBLE bass bari (Thats a "GD" valve/slide set of pipes) solo in "Tine Roof Blues", and "Black Bottom". Both Sasso brothers and Frank Dorrite in the line, with Billy Cobham on tenor drum. :whistle:

Second Choice: 1964 St Kevins Emerald Knights. THE greatest "Comeback" in drum corps history. From a shambles in May, to "Top Five" at all the Nationals they attended as well as winning the Dream. Bergdol's best ever "Book", and Eddie Hayward & "Buzzy" Bergdoll soloists. Cliff Fisher on drill AND drums. :unsure:

St Catherine's was "All Male", but I could have conjured up a disguise to march with them. "Kevins" had an all girl guard, so "Being a girl" would not have been a problem... :sad:

Elphaba

I'd have to say 1970 Santa Clara Vanguard. It was the year no one expected this corps from California to win and win we did. The surprise factor was awesome!

:whistle:

Edited by amadorj

"Time Machine":

First Choice: 1961 St Catherine of Sienna Queensmen. Genero/Hayes "Book" with Bill Hightowers INCREDIBLE bass bari (Thats a "GD" valve/slide set of pipes) solo in "Tine Roof Blues", and "Black Bottom". Both Sasso brothers and Frank Dorrite in the line, with Billy Cobham on tenor drum. :whistle:

Second Choice: 1964 St Kevins Emerald Knights. THE greatest "Comeback" in drum corps history. From a shambles in May, to "Top Five" at all the Nationals they attended as well as winning the Dream. Bergdol's best ever "Book", and Eddie Hayward & "Buzzy" Bergdoll soloists. Cliff Fisher on drill AND drums. :unsure:

St Catherine's was "All Male", but I could have conjured up a disguise to march with them. "Kevins" had an all girl guard, so "Being a girl" would not have been a problem... :sad:

Elphaba

You certainly know and enjoy your history here. Both those corps had what it takes. I wound up marching with several of those Queensmen while with Sun. No shortage of remarkable talent there.

My choice would be 1965 Chicago Royal-Airs. They completely floored me in May of 65 while in a gymnasium in Chicago, pre contest while they had a throw-down with the Cavies during warm-ups. Bully against Watermellon Man.

Ya had to be there.

I would revisit the same corps I marched with:

82 Blue Devils for the magical season

84 Blue Devils for the incredible show and corps

Does wanting to march this year's SCVC show qualify for this topic? :doh:

I have 4 junors and 1 senior.

Junors

1964 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

1965 Casper Troopers

1987 SCV

1992 Crossmen

Senior

1963 Archer Epler Musketeers from Upper Darby, Pa. What a great show and the great Ray Eiler and Jim Cosettie(sp?) on soprano solo. One word, WOW!

Would have loved to have marched Bridgemen earlier than I did, particularly the 78 and 80 shows. 80 27th Lancers would have been sweet, too.

The show I most would have liked to have marched is 90 Star of Indiana.

Too late for the Bridgemen shows I loved, and too early for the Star shows. Had fun anyway.

Cheers!

Karen