If You Could Go Back

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1973 Boston Crusaders at the Bridgemen show in Bayonne. Why? Because they had 19 horns who played much bigger then their numbers and because of this corps and their dedication to keeping the Crusaders alive, there is still a Boston Crusaders today.

Edited by joesilver

"Time Machine":

First Choice: 1961 St Catherine of Sienna Queensmen. Genero/Hayes "Book" with Bill Hightowers INCREDIBLE bass bari (Thats a "GD" valve/slide set of pipes) solo in "Tine Roof Blues", and "Black Bottom". Both Sasso brothers and Frank Dorrite in the line, with Billy Cobham on tenor drum. :thumbup:

Second Choice: 1964 St Kevins Emerald Knights. THE greatest "Comeback" in drum corps history. From a shambles in May, to "Top Five" at all the Nationals they attended as well as winning the Dream. Bergdol's best ever "Book", and Eddie Hayward & "Buzzy" Bergdoll soloists. Cliff Fisher on drill AND drums. :devil:

St Catherine's was "All Male", but I could have conjured up a disguise to march with them. "Kevins" had an all girl guard, so "Being a girl" would not have been a problem... :devil:

Elphaba

Thanks for your kind words on St. Kevins 1964. I would have to say BAC at the 1967 CYO Nationals

when they beat, all of the top corps in the country by almost four points. The crowd was standing to entire show

Edited by SKEK_SOP

1979 27th Lancers--but only as a rifle and only if I didn't have to wear a skirt! :thumbup:

You certainly know and enjoy your history here. Both those corps had what it takes. I wound up marching with several of those Queensmen while with Sun. No shortage of remarkable talent there.

My choice would be 1965 Chicago Royal-Airs. They completely floored me in May of 65 while in a gymnasium in Chicago, pre contest while they had a throw-down with the Cavies during warm-ups. Bully against Watermellon Man.

Ya had to be there.

Yup ... 61 Queensmen and 64 Kevin's ... two of my fav shows ... others from the 60's for me would be the 62 Loretto show and the 65 Vasella show ... pure entertainment! ... throw in 63 BS for a bit of military ... then 64 Selden for pure power and sound and you've got quite a treat ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

I would have to say DCI 1974 and 1975 Madison and DCA !975 NYC Skyliners

Edit: Misread the intent... fixed

Saw 1975 Sky a few times.. only would march it after they brought back "Elks Parade" in mid-season

Any pre WWII corps to see and hear what it was like.

One of the GE heavy Franch Canadian corps in the 70s. Doesn't matter which corps as I don't speak French. :sad:

1964 Ballentine Brewers or any year Jersey Skeeter - just to say I belonged to a corps with those names.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Well, if I could go back as an adult, I'd like to go back to 1973 and march with the Pittsburgh Rockets again. They were the only corps I had hoped to march with and only got one season. However, I would change the show as follows:

The opener (yes, that's what it was called back then) would be a combination of both versions of Prince Igor from 72&73 with a drum break in the middle. I'd 86 the drum solo we played and the "Day by Day" into concert. Malaga would not be a "concert" but rather a moving number once the up tempo section started. The color presentation of Patton would be scrapped (3rd time was not a charm). The closer would pretty much remain the same except for the "re-entry," Patton would be replaced with Stars & Stripes Forever.

The multi-patterned flags would be changed to a single consistent pattern and the flag poles would be reduced from 8 feet to 6 feet. The white plumes would be replaced with black as would the gloves.

Where’s my time machine?

1986 Sky Ryders second OZ show.

So I could do better than I did in 1985 and see what a 9th place finish feels like.

I would also have liked to march Sky Ryders in 83 or 84 so I could play their version of Home on the Range.