Phantom debacle

No, that would be the "second 6". There are still (at least for now) more that 12 corps, and they deserve notice even though they aren't the "elite" or "top".

You may call 6th through 12th place whatever you wish, but the word "bottom" has a meaning.

Whether you like it or not Bottom 6 is regularly used to describe those corps who place in the bottom six of finals. Please feel free to leave the discussion if you have nothing to add to the actual topic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended their rehearsal last Thursday, and saw the show that night. They sound good, but if I may be so bold and give my opinion, the low brass didn't fill the stadium. You can hear those horns, but it wasn't as resonant as they were on Kings. Their position now in the rankings is due to a number of things, and as skajerk said, its more than just the brass caption.

I thought it was a dumb move too, but money does play a big role in this activity, and Jupiters are cheap compared to Kings.

They won last year. They put all the pieces into place. Staff, brass manufacturer, uniforms (yes, even uniforms).....

Why the heck did they change EVERYTHING? Once you have a winning formula, you change as little as possible until it's obvious your formula doesn't work. I think Jupiter has contributed against them.

The recaps say it all (as do the posts above yours)

6th in Brass Music (.3 from first)

10th in Visual GE

9th in Visual

Again IMO, the switch has nothing to do with where they are placing.

Whether you like it or not Bottom 6 is regularly used to describe those corps who place in the bottom six of finals. Please feel free to leave the discussion if you have nothing to add to the actual topic.

Looking at recaps, it propbably isn't due to the brand of brass that they are using, as much as it is other factors.

Now, using your parlance, what would be the correct term of those corps that don't make finals? "Sub-bottom?", "Lower-than-low?", "Not worth having been there?". There has been a trend in drum corps circle to redefine words, and also to de-value the efforts of any but the winner. Not good.

The last time I heard and saw them, a couple weeks ago, it was really the visual that kills the score!

Take a look at Saturdays recap.

IF Phantom had scored a complete set of 1's for brass and ensamble, would it have put them in the Top 5 or 6?

....I do miss that rich, dark sound of those 16 contras...........

Looking forward to better visual scores in Atlanta!!!!!

I haven't seen anyone going after the musical performance as an issue, so I seriously doubt changing the brand of the hornline has created this massive impact. The comments have primarily been focused around their visual design. Likewise with the recaps.

For those unfamiliar with the terms top/bottom 6-

Top 6= placements 1-6

Bottom 6 = placements 7-12

For those unfamiliar with the drum corps activity -

DCI world-class has 22 corps.

There are also another two dozen DCI-participating corps outside of world-class.

Seems like Jupiter got a "break" with PRs visual being so bad. If the visual was up in the top 4 with their percussion and the brass was still 7th, then those horns would be gone next year or sooner depending on the contract requirements. Justified or not.

As several have mentioned the scores have nothing to do with the brass. As I mentioned in my first post of the year on Phantoms show, I put them in 7th come finals. I also stated that their brass and percussion are top 2-3 material, however the visuals and color guard would bring them down in those captions as well.

That's the way the system is set-up.

The judging has to have a way to justify the scores given. Even if Phantoms percussion is the best, they will not be scored that way to leave room at the top. I can assure you the other corps know how good they are. Same with the Brass.

I will say this and maybe it's just me but it appears Phantom is experimenting with their drill. I see similarities between what they are trying to do and what the cavies did just prior to refining their current visual program. The style is different from what Phantom has done in the past even if it is basic.

Edited by Phantombari1