Field of dreams?

Doesn't work well at all. Dual purpose baseball / football stadiums are not fan friendly. Fans and judges are to far away from the action.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The pitcher's mound (if still in place) is always an obstacle. Plus baseball stadiums aren't really designed for that type of spectator veiwing.

We played a show in a baseball stadium in Buffalo in 2006. I was horrified to see that there was still a pitchers mound out there, but relieved when we found out that we were doing a standstill due to rain.

Back n the early 70's there was a show in ft. Meyers in a baseball stadium but they drew the front sideline based( no pun ) on a straight line from 1st to 3rd............... :tongue:

also, during tournament of champions in California 2004, i saw the show at Qualcomm stadium in san diego. this is the san diego padres old baseball field.

they set up the football field so the front side line was parallel with the third base side of the stadium. unfortunately this meant that the front sideline had to be REALLY far away from the stands in order to fit a full football field.

The angle at which I was viewing the drill was really flat, even when having the best seats in the house (on the 50, fron of first balcony).

Further, none of the corps sounded powerful, the distance ate up all the sound.

Even when they did the mass horn line performance, using all 380+ horns, I remember walking away thinking,"thats it?"

This is also the stadium for Chargers and San Diego State football. VK did a Charger football game in 81, and SDSU does them half of the Saturdays of the NCAA season. VK also did a Rams game at Anaheim Stadium in 84, right after finals. Anaheim has also been used for a few band competitions.

In both stadiums I think they set the front sideline up on the third base line.

Garry in Vegas

As I said in another topic, Mile High was multi purpose wasn't it? I remember doing DATR there with the one side pulled back for baseball. It was on slides or something. Or have I destroyed so many brain cells since then I'm imagining things?

performing at baseball stadiums is not good at all. First you have the dirt and the pitchers mound which present hazards. Then you have, typically, limited and obtuse seating.

Edited by hrnguy500

I recall in 1986 that they did not remove the pitcher's mound at mile high in Denver. It was kinda cool during the big company front near the end of the show to be a little taller than the rest of the cops.

I also recall a baseball stadium in 1989 with artificial turf and big mud holes where the bases were. That sure was fun.

In '87, we also played at the MLB All-Star game in Oakland. Since they had a baseball game to play, we didn't get any field markings. We set up in the outfield. They dropped cones at the "front" to show where the yardlines would be (if we had them), and they made an X at the center of the field using those reflective highway lane markers. Good times.