Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

But I don't want a musical focus. I want my shows to be a blend of music and visual. It's that blend that separates this activity from brass choirs, or wind ensembles, or whatever. If I listen to a field show on CD and it feels incomplete then I shouldn't be surprised: it is incomplete. As long as the show comes together when viewed live, then that's fine.

Preach on brotha!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, 1992 was one of the best DCI World Finals, with about 11 out of 12 shows that year sporting amazing products.

Hey, our show wasn't THAT bad...ok, you're right. It sucked. :thumbup:

Hey, our show wasn't THAT bad...ok, you're right. It sucked. :thumbup:

Actually, your show was not the one I was referring to. I did like the Bluecoats "Beatles" show. It has issues, but I think everyone new that music would be tough to sell. But the corps was good!

I was referring to Phantom, who I love as a corps, and always will. But they really tanked on finals night in 1992 and it was, IMO, disappointing to see such a talented corps nose-dive like that.

It's not a bad suggestion. I doubt it will happen. Sometimes I think the staff is more interested in their design than they are in the students learning and performing. But that's an observation of mine that I know is unfounded (well, not totally). Years ago when I did this sort of thing with some competitive bands, I would see a number of talented caption heads, on many occasions, speaking with judges in a manner more suggestive of "my product" and "my creation" and "my show design." They were more worried about how "their" art was being perceived by the judges than whether the kids could perform it, and whether the crowd could understand it.

:thumbup:

Perhaps corps designers should look at show concepts as commercial art, rather than "art."

Advertising is commercial art (and it's what I do to keep the lights on). If I design a brilliant ad that no one gets, I have failed. That's commercial art. People need a common take away. In drum corps we're not staring at a picture on a wall trying to divine meaning. Hell, that's not even drum corps demographic. There may be hidden references/layers/whatever in Star '93, but I don't have to get it to enjoy the show. And if you do want a "deep" show, it better as heck connect on a more ephemeral level too..or you've lost the audience.

Drum corps is designed for a mass audience. IMHO it's a mass consumption product with TONS of craftsmanship. THat's where a lot of the disconnect has happened between show design and a lot of fans. Drum Corps isn't caviar. We don't appeal to the cocktail party crowd. It's beer, but ####, is it some good freakin' beer.

I didn't do any research (besides high school/college history classes).

I think things we like we can find reasons/intelligent answers for, and things we don't like we can easily find critiques of.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either type of show design: a 'greatest hits' type of show like last year's Crown, or an intellectually simulating show like Star 93. Same with movies or any other art. I can watch and love Requiem for a Dream and still love watching Die Hard: both great movies for different reasons, both entertaining on different levels.

see Star I got. but it seems that the bleedover from WGI has created this stream of shows that if you dont know the back story, you have no clue.

i mean for the life of me, i dont get Bluecoats this year either. i'll have to listen to fan network, but the reviews of that guy i read on here make it sound like they over programmed meaning in there no one can keep up with

It does make sense to me. "Happy Days Are Here Again" is from 1930, and the theme is "1930." Despite the doom and gloom of the period, the song represented hope and optimism.

I think you might be over-thinking the theme thing. When you get down to it, it's simply a show based on the time period that is pure entertainment. I think it's one of the shows one doesn't have to read about to purely enjoy it.

Not that there's anything wrong about reading about the shows in the wonderful write-ups in the DCI program book. :thumbup:

ok i get happy days now. but the middle section totally loses me.

it reminds me of a guard show where the story and the music dont make sense together

I don't understand why people can't just ignore themes if they don't like them.

I loved Bostons show this year. I have no idea what their theme was.

I really liked Crown's show this year too. I have no idea what their theme was

because honestly, if you dont get the theme, you can often sit there for 11 minutes being confused.

But corps are free to make shows without themes already.

Nobody is forcing them to

then they have to go in and explain to the GE judges what they are trying to convey.

and when they say "music and drill" they'll get blank stares and low scores