Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

The Cavaliers, 1975, 1976 and 1977. The last two years I wore a xylophone and then a marching marimba around my neck. That's why I'm not two inches taller.

Very nice! You may have marched with my High School Director, Roger Brooks? Ring any bells? (pun not intended!) I can't remember when he marched, but he marched Tenors, or toms, can't remember!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about for the fun of it DCI gives everybody a theme like "Movies" to work with and corps go from there.

Me and my father have talked about this so many times! If everyone had the same concept, but just came out with their own variation! I bet it would be interesting after the first few corps, but by the 22nd corps got out there, it would be like trying to listen to EVERY SINGLE variation of Paganini's Caprice no.24!!! NO MORE, NO MORE!!!!!!!! :tongue: :tongue:

You can't mandate show design from the top down. New ideas come from the corps themselves; saying "You have to use this element" or "You can't design in this vaguely-defined way" wouldn't result in shows created the way you want. You just have to let nature take its course, so to speak, and let corps come up with their own ideas. Whether you like it or not, well, that's what these boards are for, as well as things like souvenir sales and all that.

You can't mandate show design from the top down. New ideas come from the corps themselves; saying "You have to use this element" or "You can't design in this vaguely-defined way" wouldn't result in shows created the way you want. You just have to let nature take its course, so to speak, and let corps come up with their own ideas. Whether you like it or not, well, that's what these boards are for, as well as things like souvenir sales and all that.

But it would be interesting just to see what corps could come up with if you were to draw something out of a hat. For example, on Who's Line Is It Anyway?, Scenes from a hat! One little thing is pulled from the hat, and they come up with so many different HILARIOUS stuff, but it's all so different, but all around a single subject. This would take away the story line that people keep complaining about, but still leaves the corps it's freedom to create how they see fit.

It's just a different way of thinking about things, it probably wont happen, just fun to think about.

They better do it without them...

Phantom Regiment... wondering how many fans actually follow those three main characters on the field during the show.

Madison Scout

Carolina Crown... change the uniform and colors and they would be perfect. The title makes little sense still.

It is a good concept but need some tweaking

Bluecoats.... love their concept but the new ending makes little sense for those who does not bother to understand the show the way designers think that would come across

Blue Stars

That works....

Blue Devils... all the visual elements really "spell" everything out clearly.

HN Cadets... it works because everyone knows the music all too well... just like Phantom of the Opera

The Cavaliers

Boston Crusaders

The show works without the concept

Glassmen... love the show but it may not matter at the end of the day.

Vanguard... Key was talking about how the show is structured as evolution of Martha's career. That's is just not necessary.

all i know is i get tired of being told i'm a moron if i dont do research to get a show before i see it.

here's a question...BD for example this year...the show is 1930. the Great Depression.

so why are they playing Happy Days Are here Again?

when you look at it logically, they shouldn't be. but I'm sure i'll read in the program at Allentown and see a convoluted explanation

How about we LET THE CORPS DO THE KINDS OF SHOWS THEY WANT TO DO?

Sounds good to me. As in ANY other venture of this type, some corps to a great job of portraying their idea, some corps do an OK job, and some corps miss the mark.

And by the way, It's only mid/late July. Corps aren't done tweaking their show yet!

all i know is i get tired of being told i'm a moron if i dont do research to get a show before i see it.

here's a question...BD for example this year...the show is 1930. the Great Depression.

so why are they playing Happy Days Are here Again?

when you look at it logically, they shouldn't be. but I'm sure i'll read in the program at Allentown and see a convoluted explanation

I thought that I lot of songs of that nature were written during that period in an attempt to try and cheer up the depressed masses. Not all songs can be doom and gloom, right? By the way, "Happy Days Are Here Again," I believe, was first published in 1929 or 1930.

They better do it without them...

Phantom Regiment... wondering how many fans actually follow those three main characters on the field during the show.

Madison Scout

Carolina Crown... change the uniform and colors and they would be perfect. The title makes little sense still.

Bluecoats.... love their concept but the new ending makes little sense for those who does not bother to understand the show the way designers think that would come across

Blue Stars

That works....

HN Cadets... it works because everyone knows the music all too well... just like Phantom of the Opera

The Cavaliers

Boston Crusaders

The show works without the concept

Glassmen... love the show but it may not matter at the end of the day.

Vanguard... Key was talking about how the show is structured as evolution of Martha's career. That's is just not necessary.

A few of my own thoughts:

I don't know; I think their show is a little bit "deeper" than some people are getting. The way the songs blend/bleed/mash into each other is VERY cool, and I think it fits their concept ingeniously! I'm not sold on the guard outfits either, but I think it's kind of a way to 'force' the concept on a more general level, while the music plays into the concept on a more intellectual level.

I TOTALLY agree. I think this is a show that is a little bit to much to convey on the field (or at least currently it's not being portrayed very well). It's a cool idea, but I think this is a show that sounds better in concept than it is in action.

b]That works....[/b]

I agree. I think this show, like Crown, is very intellectual. I wasn't a fan of this at first, but it's grown on me. This is another show where I think there are elements that are way cerebral in design, and also very obvious. But it works well, and they perform the snot out of it!

This is a show that's been hard for me to get into. I REALLY want to like this show, but it's just not quite doing it for me yet. I like elements of the show quite a bit, but the arranging at times seems a little manic (which could be explained as an element of the design). I wonder, though, if their theme of 'Celebration of Conflict' would work if it wasn't WSS. Is it a strong design if the designers have to almost totally rely on the familiarity of the music to convey a thought? I still don't know if this show bugs me a little bit because I have high expectations for it, and such fondness for previous Cadet WSS shows. I'm hoping that this will be a year where Cadets show doesn't really come together until the week of Finals when the finishing touches fall together, and by the end I'm sold.

I thought that I lot of songs of that nature were written during that period in an attempt to try and cheer up the depressed masses. Not all songs can be doom and gloom, right? By the way, "Happy Days Are Here Again," I believe, was first published in 1929 or 1930.

and thats my issue. without doing all kinds of prior research, who would get that?

getting a drum corps show shouldn't require homework