Time for a Change in Show Concepts ?

Its always nice to have a theme to it, but I agree that sometimes their hard to follow, it took me awhile to understands Crown's show, I love it, but it took a bit for me to get it if you know what I mean? Some shows were obvious like Phantom regiment 08, I ean I wasnt a fan of the whole show but you could easily understand what was happening, A) you knew the story line of sparticus already, B) they also made it easy to follow it..... GO CROWN 09 FOR THE WIN! (Im afraid Cavies may get it instead...)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John, since you're on the board for the Bluecoats, what is your thoughts on "your" corps since no one seems to be fully understanding the show. Should their show design be addressed for 2010?

You'll notice that most of my comments are more general and when I do use specifics I try not to identify a corps in a manner that is too negative. I have to be careful with the Bluecoats in particular.

But I would be naive if I said I hadn't seen the reviews on Bluecoats and their show, including many comments made by those watching live webcasts and VOD. They are what they are: a great group of performers with a show theme that was more difficult to sell than they probably thought when originally designing the show. I believe they are re-working the ending once again, but as with any show it is really difficult to sell a complicated product to the masses.

This is not just a Bluecoats issue, but one for many of the corps. The more complicated and sophisticated we become, the more difficult it is to project those ideas to the audience (especially when 30 to 50 yards away), who may or may not know what WE know. And they could care less! They just want to be entertained. Typically the Bluecoats are one of the best at giving an audience what they want. Last year's Boxer show was FANtastic, and 2007 was an amazing group of performers. 2006 was fun, and 2005 was super exciting. So with the Bluecoats, and I know I am biased, I tend to give them a bit of artistic license for this one year, hoping that this will lead to better things and more of what they have always given to the masses. The music is wonderful to listen to, but I will admit that the show theme has not been projected nearly as well as fans would like. That is obvious by the reactions of the fans, especially those on DCP. Hey, those opinions are always welcome and I know the staff of the Bluecoats will not stop looking for ways to entertain, so do count 'em out of finding those tweaks for this show, and you know they will have something great planned for next year.

My Two Cents------ I think all corps should do theme shows, Jazz, Big Band, Western, Classical, Pop, Hip Hop, Techno, Top 40, Latin, Spanish, British etc...

Let the music set the mood and enjoyment of the fans, if you can tie it to a visual theme thats great but drum corps has a long history of Drum Corps Shows that didn't have themes but were incredible shows.

Just my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation)

This discussion has a ton of merit. How many time in life (outside drum corps) is “X” (you can fill in) over complicated and over thought? I know in my day job too many times a person (or team) have put more thought and effort into the “Story” behind it than the actual product. Also I seen great products that were the right product at the right time, etc. It’s becoming who’s staff and out think the other’s.

I thought the commentary provided some insight but many of them were of such a level that in no way would a stadium full of people would ever see that during an 11 minute performance unless you were handed a commentary to follow by counts during the show?

I personally subscribe to the K.I.S.S. theory (keep it simple stupid) and the older I get the more I dislike over thought/ over processed performances. Why can we have some good music, great drill and kids that perform their A off. I doubt it would be less rewarding and likely more fun for everyone involved.

Just my thoughts.

I like the suggestion of having "guest" judges hired who've never seen a drum corps show in their life judge each performance on how entertained they were, and have that factor into each corps' score.

Madison 1995 had a theme. Madison 1997 and 1999 had a theme. Phantom 2008 definitely had a theme. Crown 2007 had a theme. Really just about every show from the past fifteen years has had a theme. Some has been great, some have not. Some shows from the 70's and 80's were great, but some were not. I don't believe you can point to the mere presence of a theme as the reason why a show is great or not; like any tool, it depends on how the designer using that theme, and what they are able to produce from it.

I completely and totally reject the idea that having a theme limits your creativity or variety. Consider that the theme of your show can be absolutely anything at all. There's an endless variety of themes which a corps may choose, and the selection of a theme is creative in itself.

Personally, I prefer shows that are themed, because they are more likely to be tied together well. I enjoy a complete product. I'd rather see a corps with the philosophy of producing one great eleven-minute show, rather than of performing three or four great charts that may or may not have anything to do with each other.

I love themes. They can be used well, and have. They help tie the show together as a single entity. But right now it seems like shows are so concerned with using musical sound effect and visual support to portray a theme, instead of being concerned with the music and the drill itself. Madison 1999 is a good example of doing a theme right. A cohesive, single product that is focused on the performance of music from Jesus Christ Superstar, with visual to support the music. A bunch of shows this year do this as well: Crown, Phantom, Santa Clara, and others. I just think a three-year moratorium would be a way to bring that sort of musical focus back to all shows from top to bottom.

But I don't want a musical focus. I want my shows to be a blend of music and visual. It's that blend that separates this activity from brass choirs, or wind ensembles, or whatever. If I listen to a field show on CD and it feels incomplete then I shouldn't be surprised: it is incomplete. As long as the show comes together when viewed live, then that's fine.

Madison 1995 had a theme. Madison 1997 and 1999 had a theme. Phantom 2008 definitely had a theme. Crown 2007 had a theme. Really just about every show from the past fifteen years has had a theme. Some has been great, some have not. Some shows from the 70's and 80's were great, but some were not. I don't believe you can point to the mere presence of a theme as the reason why a show is great or not; like any tool, it depends on how the designer using that theme, and what they are able to produce from it.

I completely and totally reject the idea that having a theme limits your creativity or variety. Consider that the theme of your show can be absolutely anything at all. There's an endless variety of themes which a corps may choose, and the selection of a theme is creative in itself.

Personally, I prefer shows that are themed, because they are more likely to be tied together well. I enjoy a complete product. I'd rather see a corps with the philosophy of producing one great eleven-minute show, rather than of performing three or four great charts that may or may not have anything to do with each other.

I Completely agree with this. It has nothing to do with whether or not a show has a theme. It has evereything to do with content and how it is designed and projected.

I tend to divide shows into 3 groups:

1. Story Shows = the specific telling of a story or the desire to specifically take an audience from point A to point Z with all the dots connected in some way (Phantom 2008, Cadets 2007, Cadets 2006?, Cadets 2005, others)

2. Theme Shows = A show about something, someone, or some place. The show is more of a representation of the ideas of that theme, the impressions and character of that idea, without actually telling us the literal story. These shows present images of a theme or idea or type. (Garfield 1984, SCV 1988, Blue Devils 1997, Madison 1997 & 1999, Cavaliers 2009). The Cavaliers this year are not telling a story, they are setting an image and impression of mountain climbing and they are doing so really well.

3. Style Shows = these are shows that use a musical style or a visual style to sell the product. They can be a composer style (Bernstein, Copland), a genre style (jazz, classical), a visual style (dance, ballet, speed), and they generally allow the music or visual to really sell the mood. The Cadets this year are not telling the story of West Side Story, nor are they really presenting a theme (images of WSS, like they did in 1984). They are using music and motion to sell the goods. The style is music and motion, and they are nailing it.

To me, No. 1 is the most difficult to bring to an audience. Phantom was masterful last year, but in many cases this is the most difficult to pull off.

No. 2 (theme shows) are much better, but the difficulty is in using the right images, presenting content in a way that it is understandable and readable.

No. 3 is the easiest to sell. Think Cadets 2003, "My Favorite Things." People see the title and think "Theme." But there was no theme. The title was to simply let you know that these songs are some of their favorite drum corps hits. One made famous by SCV, one by Madison, one by Garfield. The music drove the entire show, with visual adding. It was a hit, took 3rd at Finals. Madison Scouts have always been the kings of this kind of thing. A Drum Corps Fans Dream, Part I and II were great shows. No theme, just music, Madison style. The crowd went nuts for both. End of story!

I think a corps can choose to do what they wish, and they should have that freedom, but this only illustrates what I think the demands are, and to me Theme Shows and Style Shows are the best and generally work better for audiences.