So what do you do on the long bus rides?

Oh man, long bus rides were my favorite but it also depended on what time of the day the bus ride was. If it was at night, we all usually just passed out. If it was a travel day or if the overnighting bus ride rode into the next day, we would watch movies and other corps things that we did on the bus.......which I can't really share. Let's just say that different buses had different rituals. :sad:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, long bus rides were my favorite but it also depended on what time of the day the bus ride was. If it was at night, we all usually just passed out. If it was a travel day or if the overnighting bus ride rode into the next day, we would watch movies and other corps things that we did on the bus.......which I can't really share. Let's just say that different buses had different rituals. :sad:

I always thought musicians were the most scandalous :doh:

I think three people, when I was in band for those two years in high school, got pregnant. Some guy got an STD. All within the band. Yep. Scandalous.

Drum! Then sleep.

My personal method of sleeping involved three things.

1. Pillow

2. Blanket

3. Ear Plugs!!!

Being about 6'2" did make it difficult though to find ways to sleep that DIDN'T make my legs fall asleep!!! haha

What did we do on long bus rides?

In Sky Ryders, I remember mostly sitting on the side of the road waiting for the staff to give up on a broken bus and tell us all to get on one of the busses that happened to still be running at that point (to become dreaded "boat people"sitting in the aisles ... leaving our clothes and personal belongings behind :sad: ).

Lather, rinse ... repeat.

This DVD player thing is killing me. All the creative time lost by these movies/cell phones/ipod technologies on the bus is so sad. We'd play the alphabet game with everything and I mean everything. Name Disney characters in turn starting with A all the way to Z and then start again, and then with movies, books, songs, people and lots of other categories I dare not bring up. Named all the songs with the word "baby" in it. Sewed patches on people's jackets for them at a cost and made some nice pocket change. Colored in coloring books with additions that would make them more *ahem* drum corps appropriate. :sad: Bad Sing Alongs, listen to the radio/tapeplayer, yell at the person with the radio/tapeplayer to shut it off because we wanted to sleep. Say, screw you to the people trying to sleep, because YES it is time for another "back of the bus" rendition of Jesus Christ Superstar at quadruple f'in forte. Now shut up and sing!! Hey, "They wanted to know. THEY WANTED TO F***ING KNOW!" Played the game, yelled at people for not playing the game. Bus surfing, bus somersaults (what footprints on the ceiling? :doh: ), bus wars. Listened to judges tapes. Rewrote song lyrics, added lyrics to our show songs, added lyrics to other corps' shows. Learned the bassline's parts (all 5 of 'em) in your age out year because for the first time ever you were on the drum bus and your headrest was the section's practice pad. The price you pay for poor seat choice drum rookie. Created Add a Sentence short stories. Created Add a Word poems. Played cards. Brainstormed on what to do the next time we pass one of our own busses. Brainstormed on what to do the next time we passed another corps' busses. Talked #### about the other corps. Talked #### about people in our own corps. Talked #### about our staff. Did good/bad impersonations of our staff members. Came up with funny and completely inappropriate things for the bus driver to say on the radio and see if he/she would say it. The Electric Slide, the Hustle. THE Talent Show... and somewhere in there, yes there was sleep. :doh:

none of those things are creative, and all can be done now, even though iPods exist. I know this is hard to believe.

none of those things are creative, and all can be done now, even though iPods exist. I know this is hard to believe.

When you have traveled on a bus cross country for two months straight with 50 of your brothers and sisters, then you have the right to say what is creative on a bus and what isn't.

Try and watch some of the movie then sleep the rest of the night.

Watch Movies?? I can only seem to remember Star of Indiana being the only Corps on Tour that had Tv on their Buses. Is it more common place now to see tv monitors on Corps Buses these days? I'd hate having that thing directly above my seat..that's for sure.

Edited by Zeke

What did we do the long bus rides???

What happens on the bus stays on the bus!

:tongue: