Murfreesboro Market

So was there not one DCPer there last night? I can't believe no one will say how the new Crown or SCV ending was? Anybody??????

Santa Clara's new ending --- Breath taking ... crowd was on their feet during the last big push …

Crown's new ending ---- Dirty, you could tell the new drill was throwing them off … IMHO, I’m not sure if the new ending works …

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at last night's show and thought everyone performed well. I saw most these corps back in June and they performed better this time around. At first, I wasn't into Cavies and Spirit, but after last night their performances impressed me. The Cavies looked and sounded very good! I was really impressed with SCV and enjoyed their program; their colorguard was really good, especially with the dance. Crown is still my favorite this season and hopefully they get those changes under their belt. Other performances I enjoyed were the Blue Knights and the Troopers. :tongue:

Edited by gbell211

I've had the opportunity to play Crown's book, and it's one of the hardest books I've ever seen put on the field.

I have to respectfully, but STRONGLY disagree. It's a challenging book, definitely the toughest on the field that night, but one of the hardest ever?

Sometimes we also have to keep in mind, and I had to constantly remind myself of this when I was marching and teaching, early in the season, you tend to get more credit for demand even though you may not be as clean as other corps with easier shows. The later you get in the season, the less this is the case. Later in the season, you can have the toughest book on the field, but if you can't achieve it, you don't get the credit that those other corps may get.

That's not to say this is the reason they're scoring lower than the other corps tonight, but merely an explanation of why having the hardest book isn't necessarily a good thing...yet. If they achieve it, and I have no reason to think they won't come Indy, THEN they'll really reap the benefits of the demand.

Best of luck to all!

Something tells me there was something funny about the SCV score and we will probably see it go back the other way. That brass score is a little out there.... a point better in 2 nights... doubt it.... from 5th in brass at San Antonio to having the scoring lead by .20 now???

Either a mistake writing/tabulating a wrong number or a judge that is trying to push his team.

I do agree with you, but IIRC, Mark Petrash is a Cavalier alumnus.

I have to respectfully, but STRONGLY disagree. It's a challenging book, definitely the toughest on the field that night, but one of the hardest ever?

Sometimes we also have to keep in mind, and I had to constantly remind myself of this when I was marching and teaching, early in the season, you tend to get more credit for demand even though you may not be as clean as other corps with easier shows. The later you get in the season, the less this is the case. Later in the season, you can have the toughest book on the field, but if you can't achieve it, you don't get the credit that those other corps may get.

That's not to say this is the reason they're scoring lower than the other corps tonight, but merely an explanation of why having the hardest book isn't necessarily a good thing...yet. If they achieve it, and I have no reason to think they won't come Indy, THEN they'll really reap the benefits of the demand.

Best of luck to all!

Yep. I'd rather see an "easy" (for lack of a better word) show played cleanly rather than a demanding show played dirty.

So was there not one DCPer there last night? I can't believe no one will say how the new Crown or SCV ending was? Anybody??????

The Crown-SCV battle will be a good one. Was able to see the show from the 50-a few rows under the judges. SCV was on fire Thrusday night. Best Murf show from them since 99. Clarity in the hornline was by far the best I've heard from them. Much better than San Antonio. Crown still has more dirt than SCV, but it's dirt which should not be there at this point in the season (Ex. simple cover down files in the opener). Not to say Crown doesn't have more demand in the visual department because I think they do. They are just missing the simple stuff at this point. It just seems the main problem for Crown is lack of focus from one or two members throughout the show. Crown's hornline was ON for the most part. When they play on the softer side you can hear a member here and there lose control a bit. Again, a lack of focus. Crown's new ending works well! But it wasn't mind blowing IMO. SCV's new ending had more impact for me. And the reason could simply be that I was hearing about Crown's new ending all week and heard nothing about SCV having one. Crown's guard also seems to be getting better. Great shows from both corps.

Oh, and the whole "who has a more demanding show" debate shouldn't really be a debate. Cadets are in their own league in terms of demand IMO. Unreal.