OK what's up with Crown?

So according to you then the only corps that can win is Cavaliers? They have the best feet. Seems to me that they don't win every year. Maybe your logic is a little flawed?

where on earth did i say anything about the cavaliers?!

where did i say that the corps with the best feet always wins?!

you are putting words in my mouth, friend. that's disingenuous and dishonest. i know you heart crown -- and who doesn't? -- but at least try to be intellectually honest, eh?

my entire point is this: you don't win championships with weak marching technique. crown has what i would consider to be weak marching technique. therefore, "what's up with crown" is that corps with better marching are passing them / staying ahead of them.

QED

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So according to you then the only corps that can win is Cavaliers? They have the best feet. Seems to me that they don't win every year. Maybe your logic is a little flawed?

Not that this is relevant at all, but i would historically disagree that cavies have the best feet. That usually goes to bd, or cadets in their better years. When cavies actually clean the feet to match their drill, they usually do win....

I can live with that point. There are individuals that are sticking out and I can pin point 2 particular individuals that have been problems on the same set of drill over and over. I still think that cleaning is very much possible and that saying that anyone in the top 5 doenst have "it" is premature and a little pompous.

If individual technique is the problem - and it is costing them a title - then the marching techs need to take action.

Really, maybe they need to go back to individual marching drills, like it was a camp in February and March..... Take each marcher from the brass and percussion section, and march them through various drills. Find the individuals who have the problems, and correct them, one by one.

If this was taught back before the start of tour, then must of what was taught may have been forgotten. If that is the case, then it needs to be re-taught. That may not be part of the plan right now - but clearly the plan has to change, if they want any shot of pulling back into contention for a title.

Honestly, if that is what it is going to take, then that is what they need to do. This may cut into time for sectional or ensemble practice - but if it is the difference between finishing 5th or 1st, then do it.

Think of it this way: when football teams are preparing for the Super Bowl, they still have blocking and tackling drills.

Think of it this way: when football teams are preparing for the Super Bowl, they still have blocking and tackling drills.

And drum corps do marching basics every day. Just saying. You make it sound like they don't work on the fundamentals at all, or that they march like crap or something. They actually march pretty well, they just have some areas of their show when their marching is not consistently at the top level from performer to performer. And even though they WILL be working on fundamentals every day, in the end, they just might just not be as good as the others. It happens.

I'm hoping its the fact that they still have some dirt to clean (they do a lot of stuff on the ground! :worthy:), especially with having a new ending. I will be at Allentown, and I'm again hoping that by then, they'll be back in the top 3.

On a side note though, you also have to take into account the rest of the top 6. Even if they're currently 5th, they're keeping company with other VERY talented corps with great shows. So it's not all bad. I think its possible we could have a top 6 above 95 this year... :worthy:

The problem with Allentown is Friday night you could be looking at your top three finishers with BD, Cavies & HNC. Too bad Crown couldn't squeeze in on Friday night; they have been having problems with SCV lately. It would give them a better perspective instead of the scoring from one night to the next. This is it folks heading into the month of August where the big boys show their stuff!

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Or it could play into their favor by performing on Saturday night if they can step up and perform their best show thus far this year and clearly win the Saturday night portion. Chances are the winner Saturday night will be in close score proximity to the winner Friday night just because.

Maybe one of these days they will consistently get the due credit for that brass program.

Visual does need to pick it up a little.

If individual technique is the problem - and it is costing them a title - then the marching techs need to take action.

Really, maybe they need to go back to individual marching drills, like it was a camp in February and March..... Take each marcher from the brass and percussion section, and march them through various drills. Find the individuals who have the problems, and correct them, one by one.

Maybe, just maybe, both the staff and the kids are aware of what needs correcting, and are taking action?

Most of the kids have been with the corps for a few years now, and the staff has been around the block a time or two

Maybe, just maybe, both the staff and the kids are aware of what needs correcting, and are taking action?

Most of the kids have been with the corps for a few years now, and the staff has been around the block a time or two

Well, clearly something has to change. If they are doing individuals drills, then maybe they need to do more of them, and less sectional and ensemble work.

Back when I marched (before cell phones), we did only a small amount of individual drills, by the end of the season. But the time August rolled around, it was almost all sectional and ensemble. (Then again, we never made it higher than 23rd place - maybe that is the reason why! :worthy: )

But seriously, their management has to do something differently, because right now, it isn't working. They are letting a shot at a title slip right through their fingers. And there is certainly no guarantee that they will get back to this level again. They may have shots at the title in the future - or maybe not. This may be their best - and only - shot.

The history of DBC is littered with corps that could have won titles, but in the end, didn't have everything it took. And many of them didn't get a second chance. And some of them folded. (We all know the names: Muchachos, Bridgemen, Spirit of Atlanta, Suncoast, Magic of Orlando, Southwind, etc., etc.)

They may have shots at the title in the future - or maybe not. This may be their best - and only - shot.

While I understand your sentiment here, somehow I don't think that's the course Crown is on.

The history of DBC is littered with corps that could have won titles, but in the end, didn't have everything it took. And many of them didn't get a second chance. And some of them folded. (We all know the names: Muchachos, Bridgemen, Spirit of Atlanta, Suncoast, Magic of Orlando, Southwind, etc., etc.)

Yikes! You're outlook is a little...macabre. There were *reasons* those corps folded and AFAIK CC is not looking at any of those reasons approaching on the horizon. Sure the unpredictable happens but I think breaking into the top 3 would be an outstanding result for CC this year. Don't get me wrong -- I will be ecstatic (boy that's an inadequate word) if they win this year! But I don't think they've gotten to where they are by accident or chance.

Just do a 4 hour tracking block. I promise their feet will start to clean. Either from doing the block itself, or just not ever wanting to do it again! :worthy: