OK what's up with Crown?

Well put. I think with every year that passes I value the competitive side of the activity less and less. I still want my favorites to win, of course - I cheered as loud as anyone else when Phantom won in Bloomington - but if they don't get the scores I want then I shrug my shoulders and move on. Compared to the enjoyment I get from watching and appreciating the shows, the only lasting affect the scores really have is the amount of time I have to spend skipping forward to that show on my CDs and DVDs.

I haven't thought about this, but I don't think it's been 5 years since I have stayed for a retreat at a show. In fact, in 2007 I left semifinals after Cadets show. Just wasn't into the scores. I saw the shows I wanted to see and left.

Edited by Newseditor44

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crown is fine. They are probably about a week behind the res of the DCI universe because of the illness. And until the rest of the top 5 has had to deal with a flu like illness and the lasting repercussions, it is a legit excuse.

As a member of the Crown family, let me give you permission to not make excuses for Crown. Let me assure you that this proud organization would not be comfortable with fans or well-intentioned supporters trying to explain away scoring and placement. What-if thinking is not helpful to the kid's psyches. It doesn't make them feel better about their current performance level or more hopeful about the season's end. If anything, it just makes them feel that what they're doing isn't good enough and that the excuse making is justified and ultimately necessary to explain what "should" be happening.

Just celebrate what they're doing. That's all we ask.

OK, this is blowing my freaking mind...

SO next season, when Crown is battling for third and comes up short, are you guys gonna come back and say "well, they just aren't ready yet"? How about in five years? Ten years?

LOL. Crown honk getting yelled at for bashing crown? This is great. I don't think there's an impenetrable wall and I don't think crown is "not ready". I *do* think there's an intangible "knowing what it takes it win" and I think it applies to both the day-to-day staff *and* the performers. What is that "it" you have to know? If it were easy to quantify I'd bottle it and make a fortune.

I just don't want to go to finals and all I hear is how Crown should have been higher but they got sick. We know they got sick, that's incredibly unfortunate. We all understand, but at the end of the day it really comes down to bad luck. The judges obviously aren't going to take that in to consideration, "oh, they were sick, I'm going to score them higher than I think". And I'm certain Crown wouldn't want to have that mindset for them.

Why complain about something to someone who can't do anything about it?

Edited by acolli17

LOL. Crown honk getting yelled at for bashing crown? This is great. I don't think there's an impenetrable wall and I don't think crown is "not ready". I *do* think there's an intangible "knowing what it takes it win" and I think it applies to both the day-to-day staff *and* the performers. What is that "it" you have to know? If it were easy to quantify I'd bottle it and make a fortune.

LOL...

I think the thing that frustrates me are the "homers" that say they know what "it" is and can tell that Crown doesn't have "it". There has been a lot more animosity here this year than in previous years.

I just don't want to go to finals and all I hear is how Crown should have been higher but they got sick. We know they got sick, that's incredibly unfortunate. We all understand, but at the end of the day it really comes down to bad luck. The judges obviously aren't going to take that in to consideration, "oh, they were sick, I'm going to score them higher than I think". And I'm certain Crown wouldn't want to have that mindset for them.

Why complain about something to someone who can't do anything about it?

The illness would have been a factor had it happened during finals week, but rehearsals finals week tend to even the playing field a bit as far as cleaning is concerned. The virus happened. and regardless of what effect it has on their final placement has yet to be determined. It happened and there is nothing wrong with that. If Crown rebounds and puts on one hell of a show finals night, I don't think anyone will care. No one is catching BD this year.

As a member of the Crown family, let me give you permission to not make excuses for Crown. Let me assure you that this proud organization would not be comfortable with fans or well-intentioned supporters trying to explain away scoring and placement. What-if thinking is not helpful to the kid's psyches. It doesn't make them feel better about their current performance level or more hopeful about the season's end. If anything, it just makes them feel that what they're doing isn't good enough and that the excuse making is justified and ultimately necessary to explain what "should" be happening.

Just celebrate what they're doing. That's all we ask.

I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship.

Louisa May Alcott

The first time I saw this show in Anapolis, I thought...top 5 but didn't think it would beat BD or Cavies. Then I saw HNC. All three corps had equal or better field products.

Then San Antonio on FN. I was very impressed with the Crown's show and how the OZ story unfolds from the high cam. If this is Crown on an off day...well then...Cavies beware. Also, there's this one corps...from Santa Clara...um...they have been putting things together over the past couple seasons and this year's program is getting really impressive as well.

As far as BD and HNC...I just think all the intangibles favor these two corps for the top 2 spots and that hasn't changed for me from my preseason picks. HNC is drawing people back to the fold with this year's production and BD is just...well BD. They continually demonstrate what a superior organization they are.

From watching Crown consistently since 1995, I see no rationalization for angst because the corps is Top 5 or 6. Their consistent placement within this group over the past few years is a strong statement considering the lock on the top by BD, Cavies and HNC.

No one is catching BD this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sentiment was passed around on DCP a good bit last year, too, no?

:tongue:

LOL...

I think the thing that frustrates me are the "homers" that say they know what "it" is and can tell that Crown doesn't have "it". There has been a lot more animosity here this year than in previous years.

I agree 100%. People don't like change no matter how much they profess to embrace it.