Is it a battle for second place?

Has anyone considered that BD may extend it's lead over the next couple of weeks? Most people seem to think this competition will

get tighter, but it could just be the opposite. Not saying that's going to happen but it IS a possibilty...

Cali.

Or we can have 4 corps scoring over 97 at finals. When was the last time that has happened? Or has it? And 5 corps scoring over 97 would be insane! But I doubt it will happen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. I've marched both shows this year and I can say for a fact that the Cadets definitely have more demand.

Said like a true BD fan. I love San Luis Obispo, California, btw. You living here in California I'm sure has no influence on your BD love, right?

I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning. The semifinal winner usually wins finals, though for jjeoffrey's benefit I'll clarify again that "usually" didn't apply to 2008, 1988, or some other years, sure. But usually the semifinal winner wins finals. The corps with a two-point lead two-weeks out usually wins finals. But past performance never predicts the future for certain.

Here's why I don't agree with your reasoning. Judges judge one caption. They don't put their heads together and pick a winner by acclimation. The judge is focused on his or her caption and doesn't really care much about what happens in the other captions.

Thank you!

You spelled my name WRONG, Peale Paint! :blink:

clearly you have never seen the BD design team at work! The show will improve up to and including finals day rehearsal and the members will do everything in their power to hold onto their top position. BD wont relax just because they're on top, you know... they're trying their hardest to put the nail in the coffin so to speak and will continue to strive to be better than all other BD corps to date. Thats how it works... its not about the other corps, its about being the best BD corps. Just so happens that when you strive to be better than the Blue Devils, usually you beat everybody else too. hahaha.. i love it.

go bd! :blink:

haha nice. maybe BD is feeling left out of the 99 crowd...

and even if they win, it'll be unlucky number 13... they'll never win again!

or maybe DCI will pull one of those anti-superstition maneuvers where they go straight from 12 titles to 14 :) to make up for last year? who knows :huh:

The winning score now every year is somewhere between 97- 100. It'll probably be again this year. And the Blue Devils are already over 95. The gap will naturally close it would seem to me, as Corps get better and go over 94, and with only so much scoring room to go anyway when the scores go over 95 ( can't go to 103 ). It is possible that the Blue Devils peak, but with the exception of last year,and with the talented and experienced staff they have, they don't usually fail to bring their " A " game to the Championships come Finals week. That's not in this Corps DNA at all. But who knows. We'll see.

The gap may close.... but it doesn't really matter unless other corps start taking some captions from BD. If they are still strongest in all or almost all captions come finals week, even if other corps get 19.9s, BD will be scored at a 20.0 by some judges.

I think BD's show this year is a GREAT candidate to break the scoring record. In 2002 and 2005, in my opinion, there were really, really strong shows at the top which were dominant in almost every caption, but the rest of the pack maybe was slightly worse than usual. Winning nearly all (Frameworks), or all (The Zone) the captions is what produced these 99.15s. If BD this year wins all the captions at finals, I think they will have beaten better competition than Cavaliers or Cadets in 2002 and 2005. If the 2009 Cavaliers, Cadets, Crown, and Vanguard are scored were I think shows of this caliber usually score by season's end (97-98 point range), then BD will receive many 20s from judges and possibly score as high as 99.5 or there-about. It will be fun to see what happens.

I think we will either see a scoring standard change, where the judges collectively decide they are going to be more stingy with the scores they hand out... where a show that in the past would be a 97 at finals now is a 94....... or, there will be like 5 corps above 97 and the winner will have a high 99.

What the winner or the top 3 or top 5 score is absolutely irrelevant. All about the number the judge writes down and in no way correlates to being better than a past corps that scored 96 or 98. Not judging on the tick system.

Has anyone considered that BD may extend it's lead over the next couple of weeks? Most people seem to think this competition will

get tighter, but it could just be the opposite. Not saying that's going to happen but it IS a possibilty...

Cali.

Thank you!

Everyone assumes that the guys in the lead are coasting. People act like they have stopped rehearsing and are just spending thier remaining tour getting ring fittings and twisting thier "Bad guy" mustaches while all the other corps work hard.

Its rediculous the type of speculation thats going on.

That being said, I agree that its anyones race. Not because the Devils are going to get lazy or anything, but simply because this is seems to be one of the strongest top 1-7 corps ever! I cant wait to see how this shakes out.

Personally, I am pulling for a BD win. But i love Crown, SCV, and HNC just a well! Havent seen Cavaliers but they are always fantastic.