I'm a little surprised to day

Someone also said the Troopers horn arrangements are "Hackneyed"-- which seems like an apt description to me. Come on MUSIC GE judges! geez! You are supposed to get it--you can't just reward bando horn arrangements cause the Troopers are loud. Staging, part writing, balance and tone fall under MUSIC GE too right?

Yeah, I'm quoting myself here. I'm not slamming the Troopers as much as the Music GE judges--where do we get these guys? My point is, the crowd isn't going to get it--the average fan won't care that much--but the judges are supposed to be able to discern proper horn voicing, and reward it by writing a higher number down --to be able to tell a profession sounding arrangement--its supposed to matter to some judge. So all the nuanced things that I like about the Colts show may not even matter to the judge, if he even gets it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm quoting myself here. I'm not slamming the Troopers as much as the Music GE judges--where do we get these guys? My point is, the crowd isn't going to get it--the average fan won't care that much--but the judges are supposed to be able to discern proper horn voicing, and reward it by writing a higher number down --to be able to tell a profession sounding arrangement--its supposed to matter to some judge. So all the nuanced things that I like about the Colts show may not even matter to the judge, if he even gets it.

Well, I would think that they should be "getting it". I would expect the judges to be trained well enough to be able to discern the nuances of the arrangements that they hear, but...it's certainly not a new issue. I remember even from "bitd" we would get certain scores and write ups from some of the "top tier" judges and then get blasted by ones who just didn't get it. I remember our caption head would say what is that your hearing that the other guy isn't?

If you aint CAV.... you aint XXXX!!!

I was part of the III/V Section with HHT 2/7 (Later 1/10) CAV at Ft Carson from 93-94, got sent to Egypt for a year from there.

I was part of the III/V Section with HHT 2/7 (Later 1/10) CAV at Ft Carson from 93-94, got sent to Egypt for a year from there.

I want to thank you and Cavalry37 for what you do. I tip my hat to you, sir.

I was honestly shocked by the Troopers placements because I just didn't think that highly of the design of their show particularly from the aspects you find desirable i.e the corps ability to portray the story of their show. I find the Colts show much more effective from that vantage point and when I listened to the Design teams for both the Troopers and Colts on the VOD's from San Antonio (and after seeing them live there) it only reinforced that opinion.

I agree with this. I really thought Colts stepped it up a notch and their show is just a cut above the rest in my opinion...BUT I still love the troopers.

Can we all agree that it's awesome beyond belief that Blue Stars make it back in last year about being out since 1979, and Troop's on the cusp of returning to top 12 for the first time since 86?

And this after BOTH corps (IIRC), took a year off to reorganize...usually a corps killer.

Great point and well put. (Just when I was starting to really regret originating this thread)

If you aint CAV.... you aint XXXX!!!

While you have my complete respect and thanks for your service and your choice of organizations, my 4 years in the Air Force and 2 and a half years as a combat air crew member over NVN (5 Air Medals) compells me to take issue with your assessment of the rest of us as not being XXXX. Some of us were and are definitely XXXX!!!

But thanks, nonetheless. Nobody questions the courage, although you grunts could occasionally use a little help with math, reading, spelling, etc.

And the food... blech....

Great point and well put. (Just when I was starting to really regret originating this thread)

Not sure what you were exactly looking for then. Your opening post / request was pretty specific in requesting fans other then Troopers fans to make their voices loud and clear or something to that effect. While I too agreed with and posted that the Blue Stars and Troopers are to be highly commended for remaining active and improving their lot it really didn't have anything to do with your opening post. Making a request as you did is going to bring people who comment one way or another about the corps they feel deserves to be in finals and with those comments they are going to lend comments of support to back that up. I have felt this has been a very good thread in the fact that no one is flaming or bashing any other corps at least from what I have seen.

I read a few more posts that you had responded to earlier and see now and understand a little better what you were referencing. However, I really still haven't found any comments that I find to be disrespectful or in bad taste in any way shape or form. One thing I have noticed though which I find amazing (not just in this thread but in others as well) is that it seems that now that the Troopers are knocking on the gates of glory anytime a comment is made that the poster thinks might draw negative attention from the Trooper nation they always seem to qualify their comments with an apology first or something similar to the effect of: Nothing against the Troopers or I have always loved the Troopers or not to take anything away from the Troopers, or even though I think the troopers are great or I STILL love the Troopers.......... I'm guilty, I do it too! I just kind of noticed it and am really starting to find it to be quite funny. However, the bottom line remains if you think that corps A:Colts, Academy, Madison, Spirit, Pioneer deserve to beat the Troopers than obviously there are reasons you think their show is better and hence why they should score better so your still going to get the dreaded "nothing against the troopers I've loved them since the caveman but....

Edited by bmroth1