How Cadets could improve their GE score

At practice yesterday, I saw the colored poles...the yellow and orange silks during BLT/IHAL with the curley design from the arm of the uniform...blue silks during Cool with the =-type design...and I can't remember the silks during Quintet......

I'm kind of surprised they haven't incorporated a z-pull into their anniversary show. I'm not sure, at this point, where they could add it without making some significant changes to the drill and music. That ship might have sailed, but if they somehow do manage to find a way to sneak that in there, the crowd will no doubt go BONKERS.

When I watch the VODs I always have come away with this conclusion. Cadets need more color in their show. Look back in 94, their guard had so much color. Now I am a drummer, but I feel their color scheme is very vanilla. Look at BD, they are vibrant and that yellow just grabs you. Just my two cents and I have not broken down scores to see if GE is where they are getting beat, but to me color is key here.

funy you should say that because I was just thinking that the Cavaliers have the same issue. Their guard uniforms and corps uniforms just look blah on the field. I think the Cadets tried to be pretty traditional this year because of the 75th, and in recent years their vision is to see the work of the guard and not the guard itself. Often times the unis on guards are just a bit much. I believe it is best to let the guard work speak for itself. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by xtripleplayer77

At practice yesterday, I saw the colored poles...the yellow and orange silks during BLT/IHAL with the curley design from the arm of the uniform...blue silks during Cool with the =-type design...and I can't remember the silks during Quintet......

The have the Garfield G on them - Gold flag with copperish metalic arrow-G. The "Cool" ones have three darker blue stripes, which I think may be a take on the uniform sleeve trim.

On the whole, I agree that this is indeed one of their better shows for color usage. They use it very effectively to depict the two sides of the conflict, and when the oranges and greens come together at the end of "Boy Like That/I Have a Love", you totally understand the point. Their choices really are pretty similar to '94. They used a lot of gold/orange and blue for "Cool" that year as well. Difference was it was the same flag design the whole show - 4 vertical stripes. They just kept changing the color combos.

I wasn't totally in love with the guard costumes at the start of the season, mainly because the diagonal front strap truncates oddly on the girl costumes that have spaghetti strap tops. Appear sort of tacked on, but the overall look does reinforce their idea of history and I think its effective.

Four of the top five have fantastic color usage this year, I think. BD-great. Cavaliers - their silks are gorgeous and remind me of the work of my painting mentor, who did incredible series about the Grand Canyon and other Western vistas, using tons of colors like that. SCV- gorgeous as well. It took me a while to figure out it was that giant skirt they were wrapping around themselves for the first 3/4 of the show, but it really works and is totally Martha.

Then there are the people with the green fetish, but we won't discuss that. :blink:

I'm kind of surprised they haven't incorporated a z-pull into their anniversary show. I'm not sure, at this point, where they could add it without making some significant changes to the drill and music. That ship might have sailed, but if they somehow do manage to find a way to sneak that in there, the crowd will no doubt go BONKERS.

just did it six years ago, and it wasn't all that awesome.

just did it six years ago, and it wasn't all that awesome.

Awww...sure it was! It is what it is, got a great reaction. That RPH arrangement was underwhelming, though.

There are 2 back to back in the opener.

Yes. Well, at least one (thinks...)

Orange, Yellow, Maroon, Gold, White, Blue.....I'm not sure how much more color they would need. Oh, and the green field. :huh:

I'm not much of a guard guy, but I'd say they're pretty bright this year as far as the color goes.

They just need to clean, which I am sure they already know.

You are such a homer for your corps. LOL respect that. :blink: As am I.

I think this show has the right vehicle. Don't change anything except clean.

It will boil down to Crown and Cadets next Saturday.