• Madison
    • Spirit
    • Crossmen
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Jersey Surf
    • Pioneer
    • Cascades

I think the hardest part about comedy is just that......IT'S HARD TO PULL OFF. What may be funny to some isn't to others. Is it a effect or a gimick?

Trust me when I tell you, a judge does not always see comedy as an effect. For as hard as it is to pull off, you won't always get the credit for it.

You hit the nail on the head as to why there isn't more comedy in drum corps - it IS hard to pull off! Any actor - whether on a football field or on a stage - can hope that what they're doing is funny. But, they aren't funny - people FIND them funny. That's the hard part, having the trust that people will get it. When I directed theater, I used to harp on my actors on this all the time. If you try too hard to be funny, all you will do is look like you're trying too hard.

For what it is worth, I voted for Madison because their entire second number depends on color guard sight gags. The last time I saw them, it worked for me. Not the first two times though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most jokes are funny because there is a grain of truth in them that we find amusing when put in a different light. I think the best way to pull off a comedy for a drumcorps' audience would be a satire show that pokes fun of cliche moments in drum corps shows. Things like over-zealous lead sopranos, people throwing babies, lost contra players, "tic-bombs", cliche chord changes being endlessly repeated, the list goes on and on. Or you could go through it like a number of the spoof comedy movies coming out today, and spoof shows of the past. However, I think if done incorrectly could lead to outright hostility, and may be more risky than what the potential gain would be.

Most jokes are funny because there is a grain of truth in them that we find amusing when put in a different light. I think the best way to pull off a comedy for a drumcorps' audience would be a satire show that pokes fun of cliche moments in drum corps shows. Things like over-zealous lead sopranos, people throwing babies, lost contra players, "tic-bombs", cliche chord changes being endlessly repeated, the list goes on and on. Or you could go through it like a number of the spoof comedy movies coming out today, and spoof shows of the past. However, I think if done incorrectly could lead to outright hostility, and may be more risky than what the potential gain would be.

so... itd be almost a direct spoof of cadets 07 'day in the life of drum corps' show.

"How do you feel about the role of comedy in drum corps?"

I like it in tiny doses. I like the little "hits" that make me sit up and take notice. I like the "wait for it" aspect when I know its coming because I've seen a show before. I never got tired of Crown's slow motion photo finish in Triple Crown. I like the bit of humor in Cavaliers show because it shows they don't take themselves too seriously. I like the apple bite in Boston's show.

I wouldn't want any corps to turn their show into comedic takes on their theme. I don't know that comedy affects judging one way or another but I think there is something heartwarming about 20,000 people chuckling at the same time over a tiny moment.

so... itd be almost a direct spoof of cadets 07 'day in the life of drum corps' show.

Thats one way to do it, and if you are not afraid of doing it (i.e. basically stealing the show concept from the Cadets and making fun of it), it could definitely work. I was thinking of more of a performance based spoof, where instead of depicting a day in the life of a drum corps member, you take cliche moments from drum corps history and over hype them to the point of hilarity.

We won't see any serious attempts at funny until VK get back to World Class.

I watched them in Omaha and they made the audience laugh.

Yes, there is a place for Funny in Drum Corps but the it doesn't really fit in the tradition and style of the current World Class Corps. Jersey Surf did some funny stuff when they were in Open Class, I haven't seen them since they entered World.

Thats one way to do it, and if you are not afraid of doing it (i.e. basically stealing the show concept from the Cadets and making fun of it), it could definitely work. I was thinking of more of a performance based spoof, where instead of depicting a day in the life of a drum corps member, you take cliche moments from drum corps history and over hype them to the point of hilarity.

Wouldn't that be too big of an "inside joke" to make it work for the audience? I'm sure that if other corps got to sit and watch each others' shows more that would be fun for them but for audience members that haven't marched it might be a miss.

Comedy in drum corps pretty much was born and died with the Velvet Knights. I guess it was reborn, but I haven't been fortunate enough to see them.

Born? Bridgemen Much? or How about The Jolly Jesters (Toronto, On.) or North Star ( North Shore Mass) etc...