Salem VA

12 way tie finals night, combined victory show. each corps gets 10 yards to perform their show on, i pray for those who draw the endzone, watch out for the goalpost.

LOL, bravo!

Each judge works independently. No one judge was responsible for creating the tie situation. When all of the scores are tallied from each individual judge and the result is a tie do you propose a tie breaker?

I understand that each judge works independently. That wasn't my complaint.

What kind of tie breaker would be fair? Do the judges watch a video of all the tied corps then vote for an order of placement? That would not seem fair as the judges original impression of the shows would seem to be the most fair.

Simple. Do what Tez suggested and add one more decimal place to the scores, thus making ties a lot less likely.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What he/she said. Crown in the same sentence as Cavaliers? HNC? BD? Huh?

The big deal is that CC is starting to be considered legitimate competiton (not by all obviously) for the three corps that have nearly had a stranglehold on championships in recent years. They don't have 9 rings or 13 rings. They haven't even made it into the top three ever and yet they are being discussed with the big boys regularly.

I don't expect you to understand "the big deal" since your corp has a very long and rich history of winning. You don't understand what it is like to feel so excited about your favorite corp beating one of the Big Three for the very first time ever because it has happened regularly for your corp over the years.

This is the first season CC has ever scored higher than Cavaliers and it has only happened twice. It is still a big deal. If CC were to score higher than Cavaliers regularly it might not be such a big deal but right now its still a really big deal to CC fans. CC has never beaten BD so to be considered as competition for them if only occasionally is a big deal. I realize that HNC beating CC isn't a big deal to HNC fans considering the two corps' very different histories. Beating HNC is still a big deal to CC fans because it hasn't happened often and only very recently at all.

CC isn't to the point of consistently competing with the Big Three so we are thrilled when they are able to do it some of the time. We are still amazed to have CC discussed in the same breath as the heavy hitters. One year in fourth place doesn't make us take for granted that CC are anywhere near to "arriving" in the top tier. I have always been in awe of the talent of BD, Cavaliers, and HNC so I'm really excited CC is on the verge of being in that company.

Excuse me?? I MARCHED CROSSMEN AND JERSEY SURF!!!! So that's a weak argument. My point is that Crown started entering this category a long time ago, so I don't think it's a big deal anymore to have them in the same category with these corps especially since the show they put out this year is very high-caliber and since they beat Cadets last year.

Excuse me?? I MARCHED CROSSMEN AND JERSEY SURF!!!! So that's a weak argument. My point is that Crown started entering this category a long time ago, so I don't think it's a big deal anymore to have them in the same category with these corps especially since the show they put out this year is very high-caliber and since they beat Cadets last year.

I don't believe that you scored higher than BD, Cavaliers or Cadets when you marched with Crossmen or Jersey Surf so as a member of those corps you never experienced the thrill of beating one of the Big Three like CC has very recently experienced. My post was an explanation as to why it is a big deal, not an arguement specifically related to your marching career. My apologies for not being a historian (and too darn lazy to look up stats) but by the time you marched Cadets it is likely that HNC had already cracked the top 3 in Finals. For your HNC corp as a whole it was a normal thing, not something new to be considered competition for BD and Cavaliers. It may or may not have been a thrill for you as an individual the first time you were with a corp that beat the Cavaliers or BD but imagine the collective "WOW" feeling for an entire corp and their fans when they have never accomplished that feat.

As someone else said, in the past 15 years only 5 corps have placed in the top 3 at finals. I'm sorry but you don't understand "the big deal" it is for CC fans that our favorite corp is even whispered in the same sentence with them. You asked "what is the big deal" and I'm not trying to argue with you. I am trying to explain why it is a big deal. I think for the most part CC fans have looked up to BD, Cavaliers, and HNC. Please check the record books and see where CC has finished in finals over the past 20 years and when they first scored higher than Phantom, HNC and Cavaliers. CC did not start entering "this" category a long time ago. To finally be compared to the Big Three rather than seen as "Oh how cute, horses" (and I heard variations on that theme twice in the bus lot in 07) is still a thrill that will not soon to be taken for granted.

Edited by anniem

If you consider a year and a few months ago "a long time," then I guess you're correct.

Compared to the other top groups, Crown is by FAR the new kid on the block.

If you consider a year and a few months ago "a long time," then I guess you're correct.

Agree. If Crown cracks the top three this year it would be huge. It would give them that rotational interia, or gravitational attraction, or whatever tag it is one of you drum corps scholars came up with.

Oh yeah....."competitive intertia"? Is that it?

Yup. I consider that a long time ago. Not trying to downplay their achievements, but when they beat the Cadets last year, I considered them among the big boys.

I truly like Boston this year. Great show!

My wife, who has not been to a show in 15 years liked Boston's show the best in Fort Walton. Go BAC!

Should I put in my tag line that i dated a Boston guard girl on tour? NO

Agree. If Crown cracks the top three this year it would be huge. It would give them that rotational interia, or gravitational attraction, or whatever tag it is one of you drum corps scholars came up with.

Oh yeah....."competitive intertia"? Is that it?

I'm no MENSA scholar, but wouldn't it be "competitive momentum"?

Actually, no, now that I think about it, inertia is the force signifying that when an object is at rest, it will remain at rest, while if it's in motion, it will remain in motion. So inertia would be accurate in this case.

Back to our regularly scheduled drum corps discussion!