Quarterfinals on The Big Screen

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the theater in Cupertino. Show started VERY quiet and progressively got louder through the night until it was ALMOST like being there. Was a great experience for $18. No feed problems. LOTS of people. The whole room was jam packed.

Good size crowd in Norman, OK and there was only one 2 second hiccup, but other than that I was extremely pleased with the quality. Crown, Cadets, and Vanguard still reign supreme in my book.

Sorry everyone .. I don't want to go through the 22 pages ... Was it worth the $18 bucks?!

We had a great time! Way cheaper than going to Indiana!! :tongue: We went to Mira Mesa and it was pretty full. The crowd took a while to warm up, but we were cheering and yelling just like at the shows! Absolutely no problems with the feed and it was cool to see them on the big screen! BD was, of course, amazing! :bluedevil: I tried to look for your son, but it's hard to see what he looks like from that little picture on your avatar!! :bigsmile: It was interesting to see some of the placements. I love Crown's show too! The next two days should be awesome! Gotta go to bed so I can get up early to watch VK on the fan network tomorrow! Night!

I went to the theater in Cupertino. Show started VERY quiet and progressively got louder through the night until it was ALMOST like being there. Was a great experience for $18. No feed problems. LOTS of people. The whole room was jam packed.

Exactly the same here in Columbia, SC.

It started really soft, which worried us (as an audience.)

But by the big 8, it was like we were there. Amazing.

And we didn't have any feed troubles at all. Worth the $18, absolutely. Great Time...aside from one high school band acting a little ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when Boston Crusaders took the field. >_>

FWIW, Cavaliers had already made a move on BD and Cadets before Semi's or Finals (Cadets didn't pass BD until Semi's). And the point spread was fairly close (1 point, give or take a tenth or two) when Cavs went up against Devs a week or so earlier at their last head-head competition before Finals week.

Basically: 1995 spread between first (Cavaliers) and second (BD) was .2

2009 spread between first (BD) and second (Crown) is 1.85

HOWEVER, with that being said, just doing a random sampling of spread from Quarters - Finals shows:

* 1996 spread between first (BD) and eventual co-Champion Phantom Regiment was 3.8

* 1998 spread between first (BD) and eventual Champion Cadets was .6

* 1999 spread between first (BD) and eventual co-Champion SCV was .9

* 2000 spread between first (Cadets) and eventual co-Champion Cavaliers was only .3

So while it's not impossible for someone to upset Blue Devils in the next 48, it's improbable with an almost 2 point spread.

* edited to correct horrible math

Edited by perc2100

It was for me. I saw it at the Great Mall in Milpitas. Theater was pretty empty, zero high school bandos. Sound was plenty loud, picture looked GREAT in HD, no problems with the stream.

Given how much people complained about past movie theater showings I was expecting much worse, but it was actually a fantastic experience. Much more comfortable than sitting in the stands for 5+ hours!

Theater in Oakridge Mall /San Jose was half full. At first the volume was down but I talked to the manager two times to "TURN IT UP"! After that it was great! If I could choose Box angle or Multiple angle showing I would pick Box angle. There's were some bad camera moments. It should be shown how it was designed to be viewed for the stadium. If multiple angles are the key focus of the show then corps should have a show camera manager to direct the camera shot's to highlight the appropriate show moments.

FWIW, Cavaliers had already made a move on BD and Cadets before Semi's or Finals (Cadets didn't pass BD until Semi's). And the point spread was fairly close (1 point, give or take a tenth or two) when Cavs went up against Devs a week or so earlier at their last head-head competition before Finals week.

Basically: 1995 spread between first (Cavaliers) and second (BD) was .2

2009 spread between first (BD) and second (Crown) is .85

HOWEVER, with that being said, just doing a random sampling of spread from Quarters - Finals shows:

* 1996 spread between first (BD) and eventual co-Champion Phantom Regiment was 3.8

* 1998 spread between first (BD) and eventual Champion Cadets was .6

* 1999 spread between first (BD) and eventual co-Champion SCV was .9

* 2000 spread between first (Cadets) and eventual co-Champion Cavaliers was only .3

So while it's not impossible for someone to upset Blue Devils in the next 48, it's improbable.

BD's 1.85 over Crown right now, not 0.85. Regiment and Cadets had bad quarters nights in 1996 and 1998 respectively; wasn't Regiment more like 3rdish going into finals week, and Cadets pretty much 1st or 2nd? Just saying.

It's been a couple of years since I saw the live broadcast and I really need to make the effort to attend more often. I watched the show at the Regal Stonecrest theatres in Charlotte. Lots of Crown fans there, Go Figure! :) I think there were a handful of Cadets fans there as well.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

My friend said he didn't think Crown would make top 3 and I told him I thought they could beat the Cavaliers and it would be a fight till the end with Cadets. I don't think anyone can beat the Blue Devils. BD is nearly perfect although I don't particularly care for their show.

My personal favorites tonight were:

Crown

Cadets

SCV

Bluecoats

Blue Knights - not normally a fan of their shows but i loved this

Troopers

Colts

I liked bits and pieces of various corps but thought the entire shows where missing something and didn't grab me.