Strangest Place You Ever Played A Standstill

1973 Waterloo, Iowa

They canceled the parade due to lack of interest from the local populace, so each corps did a standstill in a shopping mall parking lot in front of maybe 10 or 20 people at a time. The show that night was pretty sparsely attended too. And if that weren't bad enough, our housing was a meat packer union hall right next to a slaughter house. Between the smell and the screaming cows, it wasn't a good night.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

handicapped fish rodeo

:spitting:

I think this one wins!!!!!! :worthy::spitting::worthy::spitting::worthy::spitting::worthy:

In the early 60's our drumcorps the Scarlet Cadets did a standstill in the Maine State Prison in Thomaston. The corps performed in the prison yard at the bottom of a rock quarry, while all of the inmates gathered round above lining the quarry walls looking down at us. :spitting: I remember thinking how General Custer felt at Little Big Horn :spitting:

We played at a mental institution in '93... :spitting::spitting: :spitting: :spitting:

This was in HS band, we played at the grand opening of a fiber-container company. The gig involved us marching around inside the factory to a designated point, playing, and then marching out.

1981 Drums Along the Rockies

Geneseo Knights were auctioned off to play a birthday party. We played in a residential area at 8:00am on a Saturday. Couldn't make any noise prior to letting rip with our opener. At the time we had 51 horns. I have never seen so many people come running out of their homes like that.

I was part of a small alumni corps back in the late '90's, and we had our corps picnic at our horn instructor's home. He had all of the horn players bring their horns with them, and after the food and not a small imbibing of adult beverages, we decided to play right out there on the lawn. Since the drum line hadn't been informed to bring their drums, they interestingly enough had enough drumsticks so that they could "play" their drum parts on the picnic tables. I have no idea what the neighbors must have thought.

:spitting:

I think this one wins!!!!!! :worthy::spitting::worthy::spitting::worthy::spitting::worthy:

Sorry....I am still laughing at the Handicapped Fish Rodeo!!!!!! :worthy::worthy:

I was part of a small alumni corps back in the late '90's, and we had our corps picnic at our horn instructor's home. He had all of the horn players bring their horns with them, and after the food and not a small imbibing of adult beverages, we decided to play right out there on the lawn. Since the drum line hadn't been informed to bring their drums, they interestingly enough had enough drumsticks so that they could "play" their drum parts on the picnic tables. I have no idea what the neighbors must have thought.

Assembly Square Mall theatre for the opening of Star Wars.

1981 Drums Along the Rockies

Geneseo Knights were auctioned off to play a birthday party. We played in a residential area at 8:00am on a Saturday. Couldn't make any noise prior to letting rip with our opener. At the time we had 51 horns. I have never seen so many people come running out of their homes like that.

Now that you mention it, 2 experiences with Kilties come to mind.

One was after the South Side Irish parade, don't remember which year, but I'm thinking 2004. One of the corps officers' relatives lived near the end of the parade route so the corps was invited after the parade for some food. Those of us that were there decided to hold a mini-concert in the lady's back yard.

Then after the Racine 4th of July parade, 2005 I think, the corps was asked to play for one of our fans' birthday, so after the parade the buses drove us over to the person's neighborhood, we got off and made our way via the alley into the person's back yard and surprised them.

I still think the factory gig was the actual "strangest" place in my experience, though.