Strangest Place You Ever Played A Standstill

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 come to mind....one jr and one sr

Jr. 84. BD does Dismalland -- the Tragic Kingdom. The parade wasn't the strange part....it was standing on the America Sings exhibit while cranking our show.

Sr. 02show in La Mesa, CA...Helix HS. Strange only because we (all 18 horns, 4 drum, and 4 guard of us) outnumbered the crowd...and it didn't get much better. Standard Div II/III show with one Div I headliner (PC)...hands down the WORST crowd attendance I've ever seen. I shudder to think how much money Alliance lost on that show.

Strangest standstill exhibition I can recall:

Spring of 1967, early May, I believe. We were hired by a resident of Upper Montclair, NJ to play at his wife's birthday party. (A special one, 50 or 60, I believe.) She was a tremendous fan of the Caballeros, and reportedly she had requested that we be hired to play for her. We were a surprise for her as part of her gift, as she had no clue he had actually hired us to play.

The party was a Saturday evening big, outdoor tent affair. We arrived after dark, and we were taken up the next-door neighbor's driveway, because the owner's driveway had a working Ferris wheel in it! We sneaked n through the shubs and assembled in a concert formation in the dark on the back lawn. When we hit the first 'Rump,' the guests were startled, and then lights were turned on us. We played our entire routine to the delight of the 'birthday girl' and the amused bewilderment of the many unsuspecting guests. Afterwards, the entire corps was invited to eat and drink and mingle with the guests, in addition to the corps being paid quite handsomely.

A strange and unforgettable experience!

Inside the Majique ( not sure on the spelling) Disco, New York City, summer of 1980. The patrons there were thrilled to see one of our members wearing a "Death To Disco" T-shirt. LOL

We also played an indoor gig at a disco/dance club waaaaaaay out on Long Island in 1981. #### near blew the doors off that place.

Fran

This one quite possibly is the most bizarre experience I've ever had in drum corps:

1978.....we played a gig, I think it might have been on a Saturday, at a theater on Long Island for Burger King...for the debut of a Burger King ad campaign. Part of our gig was playing the new ad jingle the company was rolling out. "Best Darn Burger" or something like that.

The whole thing was staged as sort of a "pep rally" for Burger King employees, at this theater, and we had to be there at some ungodly early hour.... 6 AM or close to it.

And the atmosphere in the place...... dozens upon dozens of Burger King employees, completely out of control, yelling, throwing stuff, running, and generally screwing around. It was kind of surreal....like a Fellini movie or something. All this while we waited.... and waited.... for our gig to start.

The topper was the guy dressed as the Burger King "king" mascot. This guy was either absolutely falling-down drunk, stoned, wacked out on stronger drugs, or some combination of all three things. All of this at around six o'clock in the morning.

We played our gig.... but honest to God, I don't think a single one of the Burger King employees there paid attention to what we were doing. They just kept screaming, throwing stuff, running around, etc., etc.

Ya had to be there, folks. :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Hi all, "CAKES" here. One of the strangest gigs I remember ever doing,and I thing it will take something supernatural to top this one, was with The Ct. Alumni. Every year we used to do an exhibition in West Haven, Ct., it was like a fair without rides, lots of food booths arts and crafts and such.One year, after we're finished, the horn instructor, Dave Negri, tells the Corps we have another gig at a local club. The place is a jazz club, "CAFE 9" in New haven, Ct. He said we didn't have time top eat or anything, that they were already waiting for us. So we get to the club, do a quick warm-up outside, then procede inside to set-up. Setting up meant squeezing nabout 32 horns, 9 snares, 6 bass drums, 11 flags and 6 honor guard in what space was left. We were placed in the space between the bar and the tables. It was about 30 feet long and maybe 6 feet wide. I think the major directed from behind the bar, with what looked like the assistance of the bartenders as they were grabbing bottles bouncing off the bar, and actually trying to hold the mirrors from crashing down. I believe the most common response from t5he regulars was that we were the loudest act they had ever heard in there!!!!!!!!!! Talk about deafening.

"CAKES" :tongue::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Many years ago the Rochester Crusaders did a " half time show " for the Super Bowl inside of a bar. I believe the bar name was Red Creek.

- arched up around the 18th green of some LPGA tournament out in Eastern PA. Marching down and back the fairway was a little strange too.

- on a barge on the Monongahela River - think it was for some waterside community fair or something

- and all the little mini-standstills we used to do along the St. Patrick's day parade route. a few horn players would slip out of the parade block and into the local pubs along the way, play a few notes, collect their 'rewards', and slip back in line. By the end of the parade, what hornplayers that were left did a standstill - I think - not sure....

I suppose a few others. When you live so far from DCA you pretty much have nothing but strange gigs.

The first TXDCP was held on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. A sort of amphitheatre with the audience on the opposite side of a river. So playing our show, the drum major is across the river and there's boats full of people floating by. All in some sort of indoor mall. Later that night we went to a piano bar and I did my usual origami thing. One of the figurines was a dollar shaped like a *cough* rocket. I placed it next to the one of two pianists that was female tip jar. And it literally stopped the show. There was also a wedding party there that night and I made them a few things. I even got pinned by one of the ladies. Factor in the Spurs winning something that night and things were pretty crazy out and about all the way back to the motel that night.

The Kilties go around to a few clubs after Brewfest playing some tunes. That's a nice little fund raiser. Cramming part of a corps into small establishments every block or so for ten minutes at a time. Sitting, standing, climbing and all that goes with fitting such a group in such a place. Quite fun.

In 2007, rehearsal facilities were a little scarce. Most times we rehearsed in someones living room. And sometimes at a VFW hall. Anyway, there was some other event going on at the VFW, so we opted to go to lunch at Schlotzsky's and finished the rest of our rehearsal in the parking lot next to Schlotzsky's. And even had a few spectators by the end of rehearsal.