Strangest Place You Ever Played A Standstill

Well, I went back to page 1.... I would have though either you or Frank would have posted a few stories about the 4th of July exhibition at Doubleday's Country Club or one or two of the Night Club openings we did for Night Life Magazine out on the east end of LI BITD... (Am I mistaken? I thought some of these were posted somewhere here on DCP?)

I didn't realize those things hadn't been posted.

The Doubleday exhibitions were a hoot. We did a full field show exhibition on or around the July 4th weekend, 1981 and 1982, at a country club for Mr. Doubleday and several hundred of his wealthiest friends....LOL. Many of those friends apparently also enjoyed indulging in a few too many cocktails. :smile:

So there they were... the drunk wealthy folks, up on a hill watching us perform our show.

OK..."performing our show" might be a misnomer here.... because it was a case of us screwing around as much as we could while maintaining some semblance of our actual field show. LOL.

After all, the big-bucks boozers up on the hill could barely see two feet in front of themselves... what did they care what we looked or sounded like? :worthy:

Several Sunriser war stories grew out of those days in 1981 and 1982. Two in particular: 1) The Parking Attendant, and 2) The Golf Ball Incident. :thumbup:

I cannot share details of either, since this is a family site. :thumbup:

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize those things hadn't been posted.

The Doubleday exhibitions were a hoot. We did a full field show exhibition on or around the July 4th weekend, 1981 and 1982, at a country club for Mr. Doubleday and several hundred of his wealthiest friends....LOL. Many of those friends apparently also enjoyed indulging in a few too many cocktails. :rolleyes:

So there they were... the drunk wealthy folks, up on a hill watching us perform our show.

OK..."performing our show" might be a misnomer here.... because it was a case of us screwing around as much as we could while maintaining some semblance of our actual field show. LOL.

After all, the big-bucks boozers up on the hill could barely see two feet in front of themselves... what did they care what we looked or sounded like? :cool:

I remember that!!! Usually on a Sunday afternoon, but they were fun!

Hey....what did I know....I was a rookie in the Sunrisers back then! LOL

Well, this isn't a performance but our practice field in '82 was a grass field right outside a prison in Lockport. If I recall the Lockport half of our corps directors was a big Kahuna in the prison system. A lot a prisoners got a huge dose of drum corps that summer.

Well, this isn't a performance but our practice field in '82 was a grass field right outside a prison in Lockport. If I recall the Lockport half of our corps directors was a big Kahuna in the prison system. A lot a prisoners got a huge dose of drum corps that summer.

Actually, I believe you're referring to the Niagara County Sheriff at the time - see my post on Crusaders performing there...

"Strange Venue for Standstills":

Would CARNAGIE HALL be considered a "Strange Place" for a "Standstill"? :rolleyes:

What about the "Hatch Shell" in Boston? :cool:

Elphaba

"Strange Venue for Standstills":

Would CARNAGIE HALL be considered a "Strange Place" for a "Standstill"? :rolleyes:

What about the "Hatch Shell" in Boston? :cool:

Elphaba

I know the Cambridge Caballeros recorded a Fleetwood album at the Hatch Shell, but was there ever an actual standstill show there?