Can the Blue Devils break 99.15?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer honestly....Is it as prestigious as it used to be ? I mean, now what 22 corps on a homogonized tour, all corps assimilating into one basic styl and approach towards show design.

Is winning DCI, or scores in general as prestigious as it used to be.

winning in 1986 was over a huge slate of corps, now its almost status quo. I might not be making my point but if you agree or disagree what do you think ?

Geoffrey

My reply to the OP:

**** BEGIN PERSONAL OPINION ****

I hope not.

I remember watching 2002 Cavaliers and 2005 Cadets and being floored by how well-executed and how exciting they both were.

I also recall seeing Blue Devils live in Denver this year. And being floored by how absolutely bored I was, and how unimpressed I was.

As much as I dislike a winning show that makes me go "meh"... I would absolutely hate a "meh" show to break a record.

**** END PERSONAL OPINION ****

Anything's possible :-D

Not that you're not completely entitled to your opinion, but you also have to realize that many, MANY people said the same things about The Cavaliers in 2002 and The Cadets in 2005 and it doesn't diminish the legitimacy of those corps getting the score they did. For some people it was based more on simply wanting their own corps to win and looking for something to be wrong with The Cavaliers or The Cadets those years. Others were legitimately unimpressed or outright bored by those shows. This is on of the (many) reasons why so many people stress NOT comparing scores from year to year.

Answer honestly....Is it as prestigious as it used to be ? I mean, now what 22 corps on a homogonized tour, all corps assimilating into one basic styl and approach towards show design.

winning in 1986 was over a huge slate of corps, now its almost status quo. I might not be making my point but if you agree or disagree what do you think ?

Geoffrey

In 1986, the Blue Devils won DCI by nearly a point and a half, with SCV in second and The Cavaliers and Cadets pretty closed in third and fourth, respectively. Toss in a corps that didn't even exist at the time (Crown), and that seems like a rather likely scenario for 2009, doesn't it? So why on earth would it have been more prestigious in 1986 than today?

In 1986, the Blue Devils won DCI by nearly a point and a half, with SCV in second and The Cavaliers and Cadets pretty closed in third and fourth, respectively. Toss in a corps that didn't even exist at the time (Crown), and that seems like a rather likely scenario for 2009, doesn't it? So why on earth would it have been more prestigious in 1986 than today?

Thats what Im asking you ? Whats YOUR opinion.

Is the battle really a battle in this era or is it just different......

Geoffrey

Ok, fair enough. I would say that though there may have been more corps overall in 1986, it's hard to claim that there were more contenders for the title that year than this. In fact, Crown's rise to elite status coupled with the competitive struggles of our defending champion suggests that it may actually be more difficult to win in 2009 than 23 years ago. I think any time you win a title it's a prestigious accomplishment, and I'm surprised to hear anyone suggest otherwise.

Geoffrey

Maybe 12th place isn't as big of a deal, but 1st is still pretty big. There may have been an insane number of corps, but only a couple are ever real contenders for the championship. If only 4-5 each year could win, then the prestige is the same.

Geoffrey

Sure it is. The whole activity is more demanding now. Look what was being asked of the performers and designers in 1986, and look at now. There are fewer corps, but more contenders for the title. Look at how hard it is to break into top 4 and what has to be accomplished to get there, and tell me that's not prestigious.

I posted it somewhere else, but a new rule change made 105 the perfect score this year. :thumbup:
you confused some people in here man. they thought you were you serious. you need a sarcasm stamp on your posts or something lol

Ah, sarcasm, we meet again! :drool:

Please ignore my previous posts about the 105 score.

Are two 99.15s even considered equal? In such a subjective activity, the value of these numbers are also subjective and have no real meaning other than "better than the other guy."

I mean, if Cadets '05 and Cavies '02 competed in the same year, what are the odds of a tie? I say low.