Allentown

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the show, and what a show it was! A few quick thoughts:

My first time seeing the Bluecoats (and my first time explaining "Blooooo" vs "Booooo" to others in the crowd :thumbup: ), and I loved it! Very imaginative with the uniform changes. Second time seeing the Cavaliers, and I definitely enjoyed it better this time around. HNC was just freakin awesome, very entertaining. Now for the Blue Devils....the demand is very high, they perform very well and are very clean, but overall, to me they're just not as entertaining as HNC. Don't really like the chairs....I think they use them too much.

Going back tomorrow (now today) to see everyone else - can't wait!!! :thumbup:

My question is how in the HELL did they get a full point difference between Troopers and Academy??? I thought Academy kicked ### tonight, and that score really confused the crap out of me. Troopers sounded kind of flat, and there was some seriously dirty spots. Academy's show was pretty crisp from A to Z and while they still have a few foot work issues, overall I thought they handily beat Troopers... what gives???

hehe.... From AZ, you got that right! :thumbup:

Aww man, wish I could've heard that ending! I'm j...

I hope they get it up on Fan Network soon. Last year they had it up the same night!

I think you are forgetting that the corps get PAID for every show they enter. It would be like saying I'm not going to go to work this week...think of all the gas money I'll save. The shows help pay for the gas and many other costs associated with the corps.

Ah yeah, that was stupid of me. Duh. Thanks for clarifying that for me haha.

If the "big boys" from the East came out every year to BD's home show, the crowd response to their shows would most likely be the same, especially if they went on after BD.

Nothing wrong with that.

When the Cadets came to California in 2001 they got a very warm and big reception from the crowds, including at the Blue Devils' home show.

So glad the weather cleared up - it ended up being perfect, not hot or humid at all.

I think I'm becoming one of those old-farts. The only shows I remember any of the music from was the Mandarins and HNC. Nothing else was memorable.

Blue Devils did nothing for me, and the chairs "muddied up" the drill (what there was of it). I thought the Cavaliers drill was the best.

What happened to screaming solos? What solos there were you could barely hear. Not to start another G/Bb thread, but nobody seemed to have much power. Even down low for the cadets encore didn't blow me away with power and volume. I don't think its me thinking the past was better than it was, I just don't hear the volume and it sounds very "tinny" to me.

Electronics - I like the pits being amped, but am not a fan of the synthesizers. Seems like a cop-out to me, having 1 synth playing over the 12 or so Tubas. I am so glad there was no narration like years past (yowza!), that was a huge turnoff for me. The little bits of "audio" that were used (cadets snippets from WSS/etc) seemed pointless, as I don't think they added anything to any shows that did something like that. Also, anytime something like that came on, the general consensus of the people surrounding me were "head shakes" conveying an "ugh".

There weren't a whole lot of impact points in shows. Too many time where its building, but never happens.

lol upon re-reading it sounds like I had an awful time, but quite the opposite. I enjoyed the shows much more than the psat 5 or so years, and it was a good time, just not "memorable". I personally would have had it Cavies, Cadets then Blue Devils..

If the "big boys" from the East came out every year to BD's home show, the crowd response to their shows would most likely be the same, especially if they went on after BD.

Nothing wrong with that.

When the Cadets came to California in 2001 they got a very warm and big reception from the crowds, including at the Blue Devils' home show.

As was pointed out by Lance and others....the frequency makes a difference. The Cadets don't get out west much (unfortunately!) so when they come out....it has novelty appeal.

Allentown crowds are a bit jaded in that respect.....everyone comes to Allentown....no novelty effect, just fans who have been going to that show longer than I've been alive and lots and lots of alumni :-)

Just got home from Allentown so few quick comments (my first show of the season):

Overall - I hate Synths. Individual comments below.

Cascades - the first with the hideous overloud syths and pit - you could nto ehar there brass most of the show. I love Sondheim's "Not while I'm around" but there arrangement is pure exposure.

Pioneer - why have a synth playing a bass line instead of having the contras playing. Again - over loud pit and synth

Mandarians - Pit was so loud you could barely hear the soloists and brass.

Pacific Crest - drill is too easy and still not clean. Lose the white sheets - they add nothing.

Academy - It was loud and dirty. A much ado about nothing show.

Troopers - from the hype I expected to like this more. Some interesting concepts. One hand one heart - my favorite moment of the evening.

Glassmen - missed them - due to the delay they eliminated intermission - but didn't annouce that fact.

Bluecoast - some serious brass sound coming from them again this year. Show doesn't do much for me.

Cavaliers - sorry but this is a colorguard show with Belwin Band Bulider accompaniment. Cavies make some nice brass sounds - when they are standing still. Most of the show is gimmick after gimmick, with sound effects.

HNC - Drill was dirty in places - but the best brass sound so far. Could have done without the sythed dialogue. Multiple Standing Os.

BD - they played, they sat, it was almost all clean, but did nothing for me. Got golf applause.

Some overall comments -

1. Whatever happened to playing a melody and developing it into a climax? These shows were almost all snippets strung together for effect.

2. Why use a synth to double or replace a brass part?

3. And once again, Allentown struck with the double-wide couple sitting next to me taking up 4 seats. If your ### doesn't fit in one seat - buy two tickets!!!