Best Show(s) for a newbie

As marching band amps up here in Florida, I'm doing a presentation on drum corps for the students and also to promote the Quarterfinals Movie Theater night we're having. The band vets enjoy this, but it's especially important for the first year members who are really getting their first taste of drum corps based on the excerpts I'll play for them. Especially with so many show styles to choose from: entertaining, aggressive/dark, impressionistic, passionate, etc., I always try to select ones that will make a fantastic first impression so that they'll want more. That's just an opinion of course, but I feel that some programs offer greater enjoyment to more "experienced" ears and eyes or with more viewings, and others can pull you in right away. Same quality, mind you!

I thought this would be a great place to gain your insight. . .

What shows or excerpts of shows would play for an incoming 9th grader to get them excited about the culture that is Drum Corps??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As fairly cliche as it is, the first show I ever saw (the summer before my freshman year of HS, during marching band, no less) was Cadets 2000. I was hooked/obsessed and so amazed that I found a way to illegally download it (oops) so I could show my parents. That show's pretty user friendly in general.

As fairly cliche as it is, the first show I ever saw (the summer before my freshman year of HS, during marching band, no less) was Cadets 2000. I was hooked/obsessed and so amazed that I found a way to illegally download it (oops) so I could show my parents. That show's pretty user friendly in general.

:thumbup:

This is a standard "go-to" show for me and always draws ooo's and ahh's. Especially the closer!

Cavaliers 2004 . . .James Bond is almost universally known, and the theme is repeated often enough to keep causal interest, even for the kids there just for the easy "A". :drool:

And you got my other "go-to" :thumbup: I also like playing these 2 to contrast marching styles and explain "in high school gimmick prose" the difference between dressing and coordinate marching.

Cavaliers 2004 . . .James Bond is almost universally known, and the theme is repeated often enough to keep causal interest, even for the kids there just for the easy "A". :drool:

Yep, that one would be my second choice. This was the second show I was pretty obsessed with, or maybe third after Spin Cycle (I went through a teenage girl Cavies phase until my junior year of HS :thumbup: ).

Star, 1993. Easily accessible. Not at all controversial at the time...

Oh, wait. That's not right....

I'd actually go with Cadets 1997. Good music, incredible marching. Still one of my favorites, if not just for the opening 20 seconds.

Also Cadets 2000, SCV 2009 (still playing at a stadium near you!)