Best of the Decade - The Cadets

Welp, the Decade is over! Hard to believe, we're 1/10th of the way to the 22nd Century. Time to get this offseason discussion started. I figure I'd start with the Cadets since they were easier for me to go over in my head.

Q. How would you rank the Cadets shows in order this decade?

My Answer:

1. 2000 - We Are The Future; STILL my favorite drumcorps show ever.

2. 2005 - The Zone: In Four Parts With A Door; What a great show. WAY OUT THERE, but awesome performance-wise all season long. Ballad gets me everytime.

3. 2001 - Juxtaperformance; Another outstanding brass performance by the Cadets and the show grew and evolved over the season to really become a contender.

4. 2003 - Our Favorite Things; Just a great old school drumcorps show. My favorite Malaguena ever, and of course Rocky Point!

5. 2007 - This, I Believe; Narration aside, this was a great show musically and probably should have contended for the ring. Overshadowed by controversy.

6. 2009 - West Side Story: Conflict and Resolution; Like 03, a great old school show, and maybe with time and some more viewings, this show could move up this list.

7. 2002 - An American Revival; Boogie Woogie was knock down drag out fun, but so much was added, I think it affected how this show was received and it hurt it.

8. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass; A failed attempt to follow up a true classic. It had it's moments, but it had more detractors

9. 2004 - Living With The Past; Umm, no. I hated every second of this show.

10. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness; Didn't make me happy at all. A bad idea all the way around.

Edited by DCImonkey

1. 2000 - We Are The Future

2. 2005 - The Zone: In Four Parts With A Door

3. 2009 - West Side Story: Celebration and Conflict

4. 2003 - Our Favorite Things;

5. 2007 - This, I Believe;

6.2004 - Living With The Past

7. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass

8. 2002 - An American Revival

9. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness

10.2001 - Juxtaperformance

Darn you INTERNET!!!! That's what I get for trusting other "sites" I've been calling it WSS all year, so I really didn't know. For the record, I didn't know what the title to last year's show was either....I just called it "Cancer in 4 Parts: With a Couch"..............I'll edit it.

2. 2009 - West Side Story: Celebration and Conflict

3. 2003 - Our Favorite Things

4. 2005 - The Zone: In Four Parts With A Door

5. 2007 - This, I Believe;

6.2004 - Living With The Past

7. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass

8. 2002 - An American Revival

9. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness

10.2001 - Juxtaperformance

Ohh and DCImonkey... OAL!

Darn you INTERNET!!!! That's what I get for trusting other "sites" I've been calling it WSS all year, so I really didn't know. For the record, I didn't know what the title to last year's show was either....I just called it "Cancer in 4 Parts: With a Couch"..............I'll edit it.

That's really ####ed up...seriously

Here's my choice with some commentary:

This was a pretty ground breaking show. Very fan friendly. :worthy:

This is the "Happy Cadets" years...

This show was just FUNKY! A definite design home run! This pushed the design envelope for everyone.

I think they were being "contrary". It's just happened to work out this time! :tongue:

This is part of the "Screw you we're angry we haven't won in too long, Cadets" years...

3. 2001 - Juxtaperformance

This show's brass performance was just the best. What talent in that corps! This was a great design! :worthy:

This is still part of the "Happy Cadets" years.

4. 2009 - West Side Story: Conflict & Resolution

It's growing on me, but the music is so schizophrenic. Too many ideas crammed into the show. I'm glad they're cleaning it up. :thumbup:

This is still part of the "Happy Cadets" years, but only for this year, darn you! Next year, we're back to "Angry Cadets" mode...

5. 2003 - Our Favorite Things

I thought it was ok, but I enjoyed the design of the originals corps versions more. I also like Boston's version of Malaguena that year more... :poke:

They're in "We should have won again by now, we played: Malaguena, Fanfare and Allegro, AND Rocky Point Holiday all in one year, "Happy Cadets" mode.

6. 2002 - An American Revival

It was an okay show and probably a reaction to 9/11. I probably preferred the 1995 "An American Quintet" more. :united:

They're still in the "Happy Cadets" mode.

7. 2004 - Living With The Past

I actually didn't mind this show. I think this is when they started to have whacked out design though. :thumbup:

They were in the, "We think we should be winning, not as Happy Cadets, Hmmm, everyone liked Van Morrison's 'Moondance' in 2001, let's try some Jethro Tull." mode.

8. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass

It just didn't work. :worthy:

This is part of the "Angry Cadets" years...

9. 2007 - This, I Believe

NOT! Sorry, I thought it was a bit pretentious and hated the talking. The music may have been okay... :worthy:

10. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness

Oye. Martha Jones, ick ick ick... :thumbup:

I'll try to be snarky with all of them. :angel1:

Edited by jjeffeory

My order:

1) 2000

2) 2004 (yeah, I actually really liked that show)

3) 2009

4) 2003

5) 2005

6) 2001

7) 2007

8) 2002

9) everything else in the world that I don't like

10) 2006

*I actually haven't seen 2008, so I have not included them in the rankings.

Here's my choice with some commentary:

This was a pretty ground breaking show. Very fan friendly. :worthy:

This is the "Happy Cadets" years...

This show was just FUNKY! A definite design home run! This pushed the design envelope for everyone.

I think they were being "contrary". It's just happened to work out this time! :tongue:

This is part of the "Screw you we're angry we haven't won in too long, Cadets" years...

3. 2001 - Juxtaperformance

This show's brass performance was just the best. What talent in that corps! This was a great design! :worthy:

This is still part of the "Happy Cadets" years.

4. 2009 - West Side Story: Conflict & Resolution

It's growing on me, but the music is so schizophrenic. Too many ideas crammed into the show. I'm glad they're cleaning it up. :thumbup:

This is still part of the "Happy Cadets" years, but only for this year, darn you! Next year, we're back to "Angry Cadets" mode...

5. 2003 - Our Favorite Things

I thought it was ok, but I enjoyed the design of the originals corps versions more. I also like Boston's version of Malaguena that year more... :poke:

They're in "We should have won again by now, we played: Malaguena, Fanfare and Allegro, AND Rocky Point Holiday all in one year, "Happy Cadets" mode.

6. 2002 - An American Revival

It was an okay show and probably a reaction to 9/11. I probably preferred the 1995 "An American Quintet" more. :united:

They're still in the "Happy Cadets" mode.

7. 2004 - Living With The Past

I actually didn't mind this show. I think this is when they started to have whacked out design though. :thumbup:

They were in the, "We think we should be winning, not as Happy Cadets, Hmmm, everyone liked Van Morrison's 'Moondance' in 2001, let's try some Jethro Tull." mode.

8. 2006 - Part 2: Through The Looking Glass

It just didn't work. :worthy:

9. 2007 - This, I Believe

NOT! Sorry, I thought it was a bit pretentious and hated the talking. The music may have been okay... :worthy:

10. 2008 - ...and the Pursuit of Happiness

Oye. Martha Jones, ick ick ick... :thumbup:

I'll try to be snarky with all of them. :angel1:

I think you hit it right on, except 2007 was better than 9th... if you put aside the narration, that was a DARN good show! We were out for blood that year, just to try to make up for 2006, which we have apologized for numerous times... or at least I have.

That being said, 2006 was actually a superb design but ONLY IF you knew what it all meant. No one did, of course. It's typical Cadets music and drill, but just out there! I mean, it's literally an acid trip!

My order:

Looks like the even years are tough for the maroon...