Allentown night 2

same seats as last night. serious opinions to come at the end

Surf...this isn't the old Surf anymore...and that's ok! Loved the Mozart show and their take on....great powerful brass statement at the top of the show. Serious groove thrown down by the drumline, who played well..i can see why they beat Madison, unsure why they didnt beat Spirit. Synth/amp issues tonight...seemed only one side wanted to work, and it made the side 2 stack a little loud. Overall tho.,...this is a fun show. well staged, well written, and seriously, if they did a full tour, probably over Spirit and Madison with the additional cleaning time. In fact...I would have had them over Sprit

Crossmen....I liked the opening, but once it finally got to the big hit, it took so long to develop i felt let down. My biggest concern with the show was the buildup to big moments seemed to either drag or be rushed...very choppy transitions. some pit/synth balance issues, but I did enjoy the brass sound in the Evanescence section. Medea felt too chopped up to me...and had some drum dirt. I get the dark theme, but i dont think they max the impacts out well enough. Did like the ending tho. capes to me seemed a distration due to a little wind, luckily the dome will eliminate that. Ok show, but like every show since they vacated to Texas, it's left me underwhelmed.

Spirit.....here's my issue.....if you take well known classic rock songs, and try and artsy them up to the point me, a huge Kansas fan doesnt Point of No Return...you over designed. now..the vocal intro worked, if loud. so did the vocal at the end. Personally, I';d have thrown in some banter between a song or two like they do at Concerts. visually a lot of standstill that could have used body. A ton of dirt. pit balance painful at times. Did like Dust in the Wind with the pan, but the big hit in this tune came off to me as their attempt to mimic the Bluecoats "Boxer" from last year. I thought Surf had em

Colts.....very fun show. This show has grown, and the performance levels stood out compared to the corps before them. Drumline I thought played well...pit book seemed safe, but played well. Good brass power, and the sound effects helped sell the show. Loved the flags, and thought they added a ton of color. Dont know if it can catch Troop, and I see why they are in tight with Troop and Academy.

Boston....high energy, high attitude, high sex appeal!! I expected more power to them, and man they run, but the performance seemed tight but controlled...maybe a touch too controlled. some pit balance issues, but it seemed they too had system issues...at one point 3 people at the board. Storyline easy to follow, and a fan behind me snickered at the inter racial love duo, adding to the temptation part. Great use of colors by the guard. That grouping with them, Blue Stars and Phantom will be interesting.

Madison...fun, but filthy dirty. storyline easy to follow with the opening narrative ( best narrative of any corps...from Madison no less...) but then following the story after that got weird. Drumline very active with the hands, inconsistent results...shows in the recap. Guard...pick an approach/technique, any kind, just have the same one. Good brass sound, no major issues there. Fun show, but won't make the big show next week

Blue Stars....as this show started, It had a hold of me, sucked me way in.Drumline playing well, cool use of the sewing machine sounds, good brass sound and moved well. the ballad is GORGEOUS...loved the Taps in the beginning, even caught Glory Hallelujiah in the pit. However, after FDR spoke...the show lost me. the ending seemed like it didnt tie in at all. narratives covered upsome music stuff.....unsure why a solo snare was playing under it, couldnt hear him. Serious pit balance issues

Blue Knights....first time I have liked them since 2000. Show easy to follow, a lot of nice musical moments. Loved the avalanche, snowman, snow angels. Nice to hear them play a non dark show, with a nice warm sound. very strong opening of Winter. good use of the sound effects from the electronics and balance seemed to be ok. didnt like the sound of the piano section

SCV......I love this show. It's classic and so true to the original musically. Loved all the random SCV moments with marchers come out of forms to do ballet/body work then back. the percussion is scored so wonderfully, tho the bass in the pit was heavy at times, even covering up whats going on behind them, and the piano part seemed so out of place with the corps before and after it. that first drum break is so musical...so well written, tho some drum dirt...was surprised they beat Phantom there. and then...the ram into the PUSH, and how wonderful it was, fans up on their feet very early, good power. down ending lush...love the use of the cymbals to evelvate Martha.

PR...ok...the story line easier to follow now. Musically I enjoyed it and thought the drums did well. visually, until the chaos at the end, it didnt do a lot for me. the jazz section, while well done, seems out of place. Honestly beyond the characters, didnt notice the guard at all. they need to clean the visual as best they can and pary the music performance pulls it out.

Crown...honestly, the pit was SO ####### LOUD it hurt my impression of a show I have loved all year. battery played really well, and the Red Pony opening is so pretty. Contras can still kick it up in the storm section. ballad very pretty and I enjoyed Sensemaya a lot. the whole build to the end was wonderfully staged, but lost brass sound due to the pit. Is this show a contender...yes! But their ensemble music score should have been a lot lower. the pit plays well, but at time as loud as they were, I saw heights even higher. all the great pit shaping i remembered from June out the window. tho missing bass 2 ( heard lot rumors, wont go into them) but you couldnt tell listening to them play

now thoughts....

i know we have a thread here about fan ettitquette. it SUCKS. With so many soft moving starts, you miss stuff because people around you wont shut up.

amps balance an issue all weekend, and no scores seemed impacted a bit which I cry foul on. a 19.2 when you lose battery and brass moments? come on. I know people who sat upstairs that said pits were too loud, especially Crown.

synths....outside of the sound effects, really, they arent doing much for me, except be too loud too often. when a few of the corps do use the solo piano moment, the sound is so odd compared to the brass and drum stuff. and too often synths are overpowering the keys.

and finally....for all the ballyhoo that DCI is trying to go boldly where drum corps has never gone before, with show concepts super deep etc, I found it wonderful that the 2 shows considered most to be retro and old school, were the two shows that got people off their ##### while the corps was on the field......SCV and Cadets. that's right...the fans threw burning babies for the stuff thats not trying to break new ground. Maybe, just maybe there's a message there.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

I cant believe i forgot the Bridgemen!!!!!

after starting with a 5 yard penalty for wanting to play "the Absurdity of being Spartacus"...with the corps beeping like a truck as they backed up...the Bananas kicked it off with Pagliacci...noticed some holes tonight, snareline seemed smaller too. note to Jon...when taking off your coat, hide so we cant see you...tho loved the clown act. had to be a stretch I am sure :thumbup:. Winnetka grooved and brass showed some chops here, tho I missed madame Liz and her seductive dance. Hymn to the last wahle very sweet sounding, loved the whale calls...jeromey?? drum solo worked well, some nice roto tom work. Spanish Dreams was well done, nice groove and some nice timing in the brass. and of course...William Tell. cant beat it.

Thanks for the second review (night 2).

I agree that "old school" repertoires are hot this year! Cadets (they'll always be "Garfield Cadets" to me), Vanguard, Blue Devils ("Happy Days"), etc. have all been done by these corps before, and I'm LOVIN' it!

If it came down to the most entertaining/enlightening shows this year, I'd love to see (in no particular order for the Top 3):

1. Holy Name Cadets

2. Santa Clara Vanguard

3. Carolina Crown

Here's hoping!

Nice review. I have the exact same thoughts on Blue Stars losing what is otherwise a terrific show after the war is over clip - isn't that Truman, though? FDR died before the end of the war.

Besides the point though - you are spot on with the achilles heel for Blue Stars. Nice job.

Harvey

same seats as last night. serious opinions to come at the end

Crown...honestly, the pit was SO ####### LOUD it hurt my impression of a show I have loved all year. battery played really well, and the Red Pony opening is so pretty. Contras can still kick it up in the storm section. ballad very pretty and I enjoyed Sensemaya a lot. the whole build to the end was wonderfully staged, but lost brass sound due to the pit. Is this show a contender...yes! But their ensemble music score should have been a lot lower. the pit plays well, but at time as loud as they were, I saw heights even higher. all the great pit shaping i remembered from June out the window. tho missing bass 2 ( heard lot rumors, wont go into them) but you couldnt tell listening to them play

I was wondering about that when I watched the VOD on FN...it was pretty difficult to hear their signature brass sound with the pit blocking the way with a wall of sound. I feel like they've had this issue before, maybe on their Finals 08 DVD. I just remember it was a big performance either last year or the year before, and the pit was just way way too loud.

I think it was 07 their pit was loud...and yeah, the ensemble music score makes me laugh

I cant believe i forgot the Bridgemen!!!!!

after starting with a 5 yard penalty for wanting to play "the Absurdity of being Spartacus"...with the corps beeping like a truck as they backed up...the Bananas kicked it off with Pagliacci...noticed some holes tonight, snareline seemed smaller too. note to Jon...when taking off your coat, hide so we cant see you...tho loved the clown act. had to be a stretch I am sure :lol:. Winnetka grooved and brass showed some chops here, tho I missed madame Liz and her seductive dance. Hymn to the last wahle very sweet sounding, loved the whale calls...jeromey?? drum solo worked well, some nice roto tom work. Spanish Dreams was well done, nice groove and some nice timing in the brass. and of course...William Tell. cant beat it.

--------------

Whale was done by Contra player John Davis, he is awesome. Um, I am married to him too so I guess that counts as bias......... LOL!

However, after FDR spoke...the show lost me.

Understandable that you got lost, since the voice you heard was that of President Truman, not FDR. :thumbdown:

Fran

Understandable that you got lost, since the voice you heard was that of President Truman, not FDR. :thumbdown:

Fran

either way...the show lost me musically and visually.