Crown always going to be crowd favorite

I love em to death, I think their a Crowd favorite because of the hornline more than anything, I think marching isnt to good yes cause it just isnt to clean, but the hornline,... good night! thats all I can say, their my favorite also, GO CROWN!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love em to death, I think their a Crowd favorite because of the hornline more than anything, I think marching isnt to good yes cause it just isnt to clean, but the hornline,... good night! thats all I can say, their my favorite also, GO CROWN!

And this was evident in the score sheets from last night. Visual performance is the only cap they didn't win. In my opinion, they have to score in the 19's in this caption, to have any shot whatsoever at BD.

I predict the winning score will be in the 98 range. If you only manage a score of 18.5 in visual performance, you've already given up a .75 right there in your overall score. You can't give up a .75 in any single caption, and expect to reasonably score in the 98 range.

We all know what happened last year. BD scored poorly in percussion, a 19, good for 5th place. This cost them the title.

(No, I do not believe the conspiracy theory freaks, who say the judges stole it for PR. Please, if you believe this, go back to watching the Zagruder film - or go find out how NASA faked the moon landing - or figure out who killed Princess Diana in the tunnel in Paris. But be careful - maybe the FBI or CIA have bugged your hideout, in your mother's basement! :shutup: )

One weak caption is all it takes, to send you home with the second-place medal. So if CC really do want to take home the trophy this year - they'd better focus on individual performance, over the next 6 days.

One other thought about '83 finals came back to me.

After retreat, everyone piled out of the Orange Bowl, and went back to the buses.

I remember seeing one member of the BD color guard. She was clearly distraught over the result. She went behind one of BD buses, all alone, and started crying incessantly, with her hands held over her face. I mean, she looked like she had just lost her whole family in a fire. She was absolutely devastated. Clearly, she took what happened personally.

I'm sure she felt that she was going to win that night. When that didn't happen, she was completely overcome with grief. Who could blame her.

Remember, when an underdog pulls off an amazing victory, someone has to pay the price for it. I still felt joy that night for the fantastic performance that Cadets had given. But it was tempered with the knowledge of what the BD and SCV age-outs had felt.

If CC do manage to pull off a "Miracle on Turf" in Indianapolis, I hope that they do something to salute BD. That would be a real show of class.

Edited by oldschooldbc

After retreat, everyone piled out of the Orange Bowl, and went back to the buses.

I remember seeing one member of the BD color guard. She was clearly distraught over the result. She went behind one of BD buses, all alone, and started crying incessantly, with her hands held over her face. I mean, she looked like she had just lost her whole family in a fire. She was absolutely devastated. Clearly, she took what happened personally.

I'm sure she felt that she was going to win that night. When that didn't happen, she was completely overcome with grief. Who could blame her.

Remember, when an underdog pulls off an amazing victory, someone has to pay the price for it. I still felt joy that night for the fantastic performance that Cadets had given. But it was tempered with the knowledge of what the BD and SCV age-outs had felt.

If CC do manage to pull off a "Miracle on Turf" in Indianapolis, I hope that they do something to salute BD. That would be a real show of class.

Garfield was hardly an underdog in 1983. They were undefeated until SCV nipped them in Semi-Finals.

I think this statement is a prime example of what many here on DCP do with the Cavaliers and Blue Devils. These organizations have been consistently at or near the top this past decade. Yet everytime I visit this site members always find a way to put these programs or their shows down. I dont understand it! This is a very subjective art and we all have our right to opinions, but the same people just constantly choose to put down others in order to make their particular favorite look better and its very obvious those of you that do.

"Their show is boring, there show isnt hard enough, their show is full of gimmicks" thats what alot of you say. For example, last year it was "The Cavliers dont play enough or loud enough." But this year they are playing and they are pretty darn loud and those people are now saying "this show is slow, this show puts me to sleep." But if you go to a DCI show (and ive been to seven this year on both the east and west coasts), and you sit next to people with absoultely no corps affiliation, people who are there just to enjoy. Many will tell you that these two corps are their favorites at the end of the night. Hence the infatuation of these corps by many high school band students.

With few exceptions, the winning DCI Corps is never the crowds favorite Corps that year. It is considered a classic Corps for the ages when BOTH the judging community and the nation all agree with who was the most entertaining AND the most proficient Corps that year. So if I'm the Blue Devils, Cavs, Cadets, I wouldn't sweat this stuff. Everybody loved the Star of Indiana shows in their earlier developing years..... until they were in the winners circle or just outside of it a bit. As the saying goes.... " it gets lonely at the top ".

I'm a crown fan as well, but dude were you drunk when you created this topic? I've been to many shows this year and crown is great, but the crowd favorite is usually Cadets or BD. Apparently you haven't been to many shows.

I am a huge fan of Crown as you can see. I have heard people saying that Crown is the crowd favorite. I was wondering if you think they will always be a crowd favorite or will they be taken seriously as a top 5 corps. I think that this year Crown is finally getting the respect they deserve and that the corps finally relize they have a chance to win everytime they go out. I think they have been underrated for years as just a crowd favorite.
Edited by donbellamy

First....what the other guy said. BD hadnt beat cadets all year.....they only tied them for 2nd at prelims, and scv won that night. Seems pretty silly to expect to win.

Second - all I really take from your story is just more proof that basing your season on dudes is green shirts is a bad call, and its been proven time and time again.

Edited by euponitone

Remember, when an underdog pulls off an amazing victory

Underdog? Amazing? They went undefeated all season long, and I'm sure the judges just messed something up in Semis, Garfield deserved to win the whole thing in '83 by far.

First....what the other guy said. BD hadnt beat cadets all year.....they only tied them for 2nd at prelims, and scv won that night. Seems pretty silly to expect to win.

Well, that was their expectations. Trust me, BD not only expected to win that night - they really thought it was inevitable. Heck, most of the people in the stands thought the same - until the scores were read, that Saturday night.

Most people assumed throughout the season - and even into finals week - that Garfield would fold, BD or SCV would take their top spot, and all would be right with the world. Plenty of East Coast corps, by that point, had tried to upset this status quo - and failed. Phantom, Lancers, Spirit, Bridgemen - all had found some way to come up short.

When BD's scores were read in second place, the north side of the stadium went dead silent. Again, that is where the California corps had congregated. The south side of the stands - where the Eastern corps had congregated - erupted in jubiliation. This was true even of supporters of other Eastern corps. Why?

Understand the historical context. From 1976 to 1982, BD and SCV had won every single title. No Eastern corps had won on the final night. And everyone assumed that the same pattern would repeat again this year. But for some reason, that year, the inevitable didn't happen. Garfield managed to break the jinx on all the Eastern corps - and everyone from East of the Missisippi was grateful to them. Maybe that meant we had a shot next year, for real.

During that epoch, if you earned a spot in BD or SCV, it was assumed you would take home at least one championship. It was inevitable, like the rising of the sun or the cycle of the moon. It was practically your birthright. I remember hearing jokes about this during the off-season camps: "Who will win Finals this year? Concord Or Santa Clara? Let's toss a coin."

That is probably why that one BD guard member was so inconsolable that night. Her birthright was taken away.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Apparently you weren't there, I was, you have no idea what you are talking about. Cadets were expected to win that night and they did, deservedly so by a mile.

Well, that was their expectations. Trust me, BD not only expected to win that night - they really thought it was inevitable. Heck, most of the people in the stands thought the same - until the scores were read, that Saturday night.

Most people assumed throughout the season - and even into finals week - that Garfield would fold, BD or SCV would take their top spot, and all would be right with the world. Plenty of East Coast corps, by that point, had tried to upset this status quo - and failed. Phantom, Lancers, Spirit, Bridgemen - all had found some way to come up short.

When BD's scores were read in second place, the north side of the stadium went dead silent. Again, that is where the California corps had congregated. The south side of the stands - where the Eastern corps had congregated - erupted in jubiliation. This was true even of supporters of other Eastern corps. Why?

Understand the historical context. From 1976 to 1982, BD and SCV had won every single title. No Eastern corps had won on the final night. And everyone assumed that the same pattern would repeat again this year. But for some reason, that year, the inevitable didn't happen. Garfield managed to break the jinx on all the Eastern corps - and everyone from East of the Missisippi was grateful to them. Maybe that meant we had a shot next year, for real.

During that epoch, if you earned a spot in BD or SCV, it was assumed you would take home at least one championship. It was inevitable, like the rising of the sun or the cycle of the moon. It was practically your birthright. I remember hearing jokes about this during the off-season camps: "Who will win Finals this year? Concord Or Santa Clara? Let's toss a coin."

That is probably why that one BD guard member was so inconsolable that night. Her birthright was taken away.