2009 Dayton Summer Classic

This is why open class judging is a complete joke again. Music city loses almost 7 points in 4 days, dutch boy jumps 6 points in 4 days legends gettin a ton of love from the music judges yet the sho0w is a complete mess musically. The only thing I agree with from these past shows is the fact that BDB wins and cp reg is right behind them. Great job to citations really reppin the east very well in this class. But can someone explain the lack of judging consistency in open class. I mean get us 1 solid judge and maybe just maybe have them look at the previous shows scores for a ballpark of what the intent is. I know this is unacceptable by dci standards but you can look back in open class this year and see 7-10 point jumps in scores in a matter of 2 days and that is just ridiculous. just my 2 cents. DCI GET A REAL JUDGING SYSTEM.

DUDE YES!!! Same thing happened to the Colt Cadets Drumline.....11.5 on friday....almost 1.5 points below their 3rd show of the summer score, which screwed the entire corps score.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Citations Percussion???

Paw-Paw=17.0

Dayton= 15.2

Raiders only .2 behind BDB in Percussion. :lol::sad::lol:

Way to go Raiders. Tied for 4th with Teal. :devil::lol:

Should be a great show on Tuesday.

Difference: -2.8

How is this a "nice jump"? Seems pretty terrible to me!

Sorry, quick compare with Paw Paw scores and got it backwards. No offence to Cap Reg. Just shows how inconsistant OC scores can be. It's very tough on the members.

been there...

Sorry, quick compare with Paw Paw scores and got it backwards. No offence to Cap Reg. Just shows how inconsistant OC scores can be. It's very tough on the members.

been there...

You think that's bad?

Tonight, at the WC show in Buffalo, there was a tabulation error. DCI first published Madison's Score as an 89.1 That would have been an 8-point jump from the previous night.

Well, someone spotted their error and corrected it - quick. It is now an 81.9.

(The eight points is the difference between fighting for a spot in finals, and fighting for a spot in semi-finals.)

If the tabulators can't even get the job right, then how are the judges supposed to? Compared to the judges, the tabulator has an incredibly easy job.

I was told at the belding show 7/29 there were lots of slipping so probably corps played it a little safer at paw paw 7/31.

Not being there, perhaps they cleaned a section but added some stuff, I tend to think overall progress is the better indicator.

So keeping in mind that, looking at cap reg's scores

07/25/09 [Amherst, OH]

07/27/09 [south Lyon, MI]

07/29/09 [belding, MI]

07/30/09 [Columbus, OH]

07/31/09 [Paw Paw, MI]

08/02/09 [Dayton, OH]

If you throw out the 2 high scores of 85.4 and 87.2 they have been getting better 81. 83.15, 83.9, 84.65 and on Tuesday if the staff works on the data provided by the judges from tonights show, they will continue to climb

Reading more - they were the 2nd corp to go on. so yeah they followed a small corp - performed then another small corp was after them.

One review -

I was surprised to see Capital Regiment (44 brass, 9 guard) on so early in this lineup- must be because they weren't competing last season. This is my 3rd view of their show and the 2nd in the last few nights. Honestly I thought they had a better effort in Columbus; they struggled with lining up some musical attacks and clarity issues in the first half of the show and there were a couple files right in front of me that could have been straighter. But they picked themselves up in the 2nd half of the show and had a much cleaner finish to the show. Tonight I noticed part of their visual technique that I hadn't noticed before- an elbow "pop" on their horns up that was pretty clean from player to player. One thing I especially liked was how they've timed the DM salute to coincide with the first claps of thunder from the pit. It definitely got everybody's attention to start the show. Being the "local" corps, they got one of the best responses of the evening.

Edited by jhallman

1 Blue Devils B 90.950

2 Citations 88.250

3 Raiders 85.650

4 Capital Regiment 84.400

5 Velvet Knights 79.300

6 Legends 78.300

7 7th Regiment 76.050

8 Dutch Boy 73.750

9 Music City 72.600

10 Les Stentors 62.050

11 Spirit of Newark/New Jersey 61.450

Nice job Raiders! Keep up the good work....your friends and family back home are here cheering you guys on!

You think that's bad?

Tonight, at the WC show in Buffalo, there was a tabulation error. DCI first published Madison's Score as an 89.1 That would have been an 8-point jump from the previous night.

Well, someone spotted their error and corrected it - quick. It is now an 81.9.

(The eight points is the difference between fighting for a spot in finals, and fighting for a spot in semi-finals.)

If the tabulators can't even get the job right, then how are the judges supposed to? Compared to the judges, the tabulator has an incredibly easy job.

Unless that error was announced at the show, that's not a tabulation error. That's a typo on the website error. I'm betting Scouts got the correct numbers when they picked up their sheets and tapes and hit critique.