Allentown Bridgemen Encore Complaint

Too long?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Is 20 minutes too long for a noncompeting corps encore?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP,

Stop apologizing. You have your right to an opinion like anyone else.

I personally agree. It felt very long. I sat through the show until it looked like they stopped, then left when they were moving up to the track, went to the bathroom, ran into a bunch of people, chatted awhile and it was still going when i went back in to hear some scores.

I think a POST show performance should only be as long as any other performance personally. (Victory show etc.)

I served in the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps from 95-02, and while i cant say i appreciate the term "Dog and pony show", I do agree that our show was a big long for a POST show performance.

Our drill program (which is only 4 or 5 songs out of about 80 we have to learn) is designed to be a show unto itself.

Most of the year, we travel around the country and present the "Battle Color Ceremony" along with the Silent Drill Platoon (10 minute show), color presentation (about 8-10 minutes) and pass in review. That is why the length is what it is. We get asked to do alot of drum corps and band shows but usually we go on in front of the performance.

When its time to read the scores, just let em read the scores!

OP,

Stop apologizing. You have your right to an opinion like anyone else.

I personally agree. It felt very long. I sat through the show until it looked like they stopped, then left when they were moving up to the track, went to the bathroom, ran into a bunch of people, chatted awhile and it was still going when i went back in to hear some scores.

I think a POST show performance should only be as long as any other performance personally. (Victory show etc.)

Waves, see post above yours. BTW, your time line description suggests you left after the first tune. Of course, if there was no line at the portos, and the chats were only a "Hi, good to see you", then perhaps...

Great job, Bridgemen. Rattled the bleachers, again!! Keep on 'whalin'. (intentionally spelled)

"Point A: The world needs MORE Bridgemen.

Point B: See Point A"

T-SHIRT!!!

Heck, I'd even agree to signing my name to the design as a quote. Oh, wait, that would decrease the value.

There is nothing more annoying than when you know you have a long ride home, the last corps finishes and there's a 10 minute gap...

Then a big guy comes out for a sop solo with a hundred behind him basically marking time for 20 minutes...then another stall before retreat...

Some of the arrangements are fun, and I'm glad the performers are enjoying it, but if it's going to be more than 10 minutes lets have the performance during an intermission or pre-show, okay? Maybe a pre-show routine and then they come back for one final movement while the scores are being calculated.

If you want this kind of drum corps, go to a DCA show, there is plenty of it along with lots of alumni corps having a great time. Kinda scary that people actually want this kind of 70s, standing around blasting instead of the awesome corps we have today :thumbdown:

If you want this kind of drum corps, go to a DCA show, there is plenty of it along with lots of alumni corps having a great time. Kinda scary that people actually want this kind of 70s, standing around blasting instead of the awesome corps we have today :thumbdown:

Yeah, it is kinda scary that some people actually enjoy seeing more drum corps at a drum corps show.

Nutty, even.

It takes several minutes to get the final competing corps' score tabulated and entered into the recap.

It then takes a few more minutes for the chief judge to check out and verify the results.

We have a couple options here:

1) We can have an exhibition by a corps like Bridgemen.

2) We can stare into space and twiddle our thumbs.

3) We can descend upon the sno-cone booth for one last Tiger's Blood hump of crushed ice.

I prefer option 1, but maybe that's because I'm not good at thumb twiddling.

Yeah, it is kinda scary that some people actually enjoy seeing more drum corps at a drum corps show.

Nutty, even.

You must admit, after about 8-10 corps all @ 12 mins each, usually only having 1 or 2 good movements per show, you tend to zone out a little... :thumbdown:

You must admit, after about 8-10 corps all @ 12 mins each, usually only having 1 or 2 good movements per show, you tend to zone out a little... :rock:

I totally agree with you there.

However, I guess my point was this: if you zone out when the Bridgemen perform, someone else might have come to show just to see them (and may have zoned out during a particular part of a junior show that you enjoyed) and, for said person, hearing Bayonne was the highlight of the show for 'em.

Variety, spice of life . . .something something. :thumbdown: