Move along...nothing to see here.....

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You were there? Really? Can I touch you? <g>

I was there, as well, and I just went back to the video. Again, I can guarantee that he has ****NEVER**** reacted like that. The biggest crowd responses in 1992 were Phantom's 2-spot drop and Star dropping to third. It was 10x louder in 1988 when we could barely hear him announce Madison's score. It was incredibly loud last year when we could hear him announce Phantom's score.

Inflection can tell us much about this. Again, I think he's great, but there was something more to his reaction to the 1992 Cavies than "meets the ear."

Take 1989: SCV finally wins again. His voice is pretty controlled/even. 1990 Cadets... reads his script. 1991 Star... not that excited. 1993 Cadets...not that excited. Go back to the 1992 video.

I did. i think you're reading a lot more into things than really happened.

and no you cant touch me

Oops. Double post.

Move along...nothing to see here.....

ah, not wearing one of your trademark shirts today then?

:laughing:

Yes, Joe Bruno was the colorful announcer at DCI Midwest/Whitewater in the 1970s and 1980s. He came to Drum Beauty in the 1980s. He was the DM (known as Cap'n Crunch) for the Mariners Drum & Bugle Corps.

one year wasn;t it Joe and Brazale as co DMs?

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

I agree with Fran (hope he's back for DCA this year!) but I never liked Brandt Crocker. Paul Cain would be my choice for Championships announcer.

As to the OP's question, I was involved in the planning for hosting a show one year, and arranging for an announcer was our responsibility. For the record, he volunteered his services to help out the sponsoring organization (an alumni drum corps).

it's up to the show host.

however...Fran Haring is among the best...really in the top 2...of drum corps announcers out there. Even Barry at Allentown, who does other shows had issues.

but really, IMO, when it comes to drum corps voices there are 2:

Brandt Crocker

Fran Haring

and then there's the folks that do other shows

I guess I expected the same "style" of announcing that took place at the Jackson NJ show. The Jackson show announcer was just 180 degrees different then the announcer at the Giants Stadium show. I guess they all have their "unique" styles. I apologized to Mr.Haring. The Giants stadium show was the best display of music by all 7 Corps competing. They were all fabulous.

:bored:

I agree with Jeff here. If Fran had an off night on Sunday, it might be the result of the show he did on Saturday in Scranton, where he did yeoman's work as is his style at the Parade of Champions. :bored:

Jeff's right - It's Brandt Crocker, Fran Haring....then everyone else. The only other I would put in their category would be the long time voice of DCM - Joe Bruno (Mr. Phantom Rrrrrrrrrrrreg-iment !) :withstupid:

Sorry to the OP if he didn't appreciate my main man Fran!

Pat

After hearing from Mr.Haring. I personally apologized to him. The only other DCI event I saw was in Jackson NJ back in July. The announcer there had a different "style" which I expected the same script to be repeated in Giants Stadium this past Sunday.

I also saw alot more DM salutes in Jackson then in Giants Stadium. Also less Pre-shows. Nevertheless the Giants Stadium show was the best DCI show I have seen EVER. All the Corps "Brought IT" that night.

Well By now I think you know that what you took as late annoucing was actually several of the corps doing their on Field "pre show " warm up.

I can tell you Fran did what was asked of him and when he was cued he did just that. As far as other little things you might have noticed. I wonder if you have ever announced any event before. I have and boy its no walk in the park.

The good thing is now you are well informed so tomorrow night when you go and hear Brandt Crocker do it you will not have to post two threads about his so called mess up.

The other thing you will be happy with is that all the Drum Majors will be in attendance finals night since they have no place to go... :withstupid:

I personally apologized to Mr.Haring once he clarified how the show was to be presented. Having only been to the Jackson show where the announcer had a much different "style" and to a show that had less Pre-shows and more Drum Major salutes, I expected the same at the Giants Stadium show. When it did not happen I rushed to judgement and blamed Mr.Haring. He did his job and followed the script given to him.

For the record...... Fran wasn't confused.....

The original poster was..... apparently said poster doesn't understand moving warmups and Drum Major protocol

Usual excellent Hawaiian tropic humor in evidence like:

Giants stadium is a smoke free environment , if you need to smoke , go to the parking lot - get in your car and drive to Canada!

There was humor, emotion and excellent voice inflection used by Fran

IMHO this activity is getting overrun by bandos with no knowledge of the past , lodging complaint polls and etc.

I personally apologized to Mr.Haring. Went to the Jackson NJ show where the announcers "style" was just different. Alot Less "pre-shows" and more DM salutes. I expected the same announcing "style" at the Giants Stadium show. When it did not happen I rushed to judgement and blamed Mr.Haring. He was working with the script that was presented to him. He did his job.

I personally apologized to Mr.Haring. Went to the Jackson NJ show where the announcers "style" was just different. Alot Less "pre-shows" and more DM salutes. I expected the same announcing "style" at the Giants Stadium show. When it did not happen I rushed to judgement and blamed Mr.Haring. He was working with the script that was presented to him. He did his job.

Again, thank you.... and please don't ever worry about voicing your opinion. I hardly ever take anything personally...life's way too short for that. Except when Jeff makes fun of my wardrobe. :withstupid:

Fran